Notices

Stay Sober Memorial Day Weekender May 21 - 26

Old 05-21-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Black walnut ice-cream, anyone?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

We saw this one on the Tube a Friday night or two ago. Campy...

- 'Still In Love With You' ~ Electro Velvet ~ Graham Norton ~ Live -

In keeping with the Weekender Theme somewhat, here's an Italian War Memorial Pic from 2008 up near the Border with Slovenia. Very tastefully done, as one might expect...

Old 05-21-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

We here in the Lesser Seattle Society thank you for spreading the story of constant rain, though. Keeps those people from moving here.

Get off my lawn.
Exactly!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Greetings Sober Enders!

So looking forward to three days off coming! Lots of possibilities here in the 'rainy' northwest.
Folklife Festival starts tomorrow.....or perhaps it should be called HippieFest #1. It used to be an interesting fair years ago filled with artisans doing their craft. It is now just another street fair. But I may go anyway, just to see if I can stalk the street poets and purchase more verse. The positive thing......there will not be people on every corner hounding you for a signature to legalize pot.

Or, I may do nothing.

For three days.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Count me in!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
Mr Chill, brynn
This will be my first sober memorial weekend as an adult too. Well at least since I was about 20. 36 now! Crazy!
Ha!

After my initial post I did some rethinking of my past. I probably haven't been totally sober on any holiday weekend in 15+ years. The only sober weekends I can recall since the late 90's included a serious bout with the flu and the failed attempts at trying to knock it off for a week or 2 at a time over the last 10-12 years before going right back to the daily grind.

Going all the way back to 1990 I don't think I've ever been sober for more than a month. During my binge days I had plenty of days off in between big "party nights". But looking back with a clearer head, my path was set on a rail and nothing was going to break it until I decided once and for all to do it the right way.

I quit cigarettes cold turkey years ago after many failed attempts. That was tough. I quit prescription pain meds for my back after getting hooked and went cold turkey. That was worse than what I'm feeling now but not by too much.

I'm drinking an ice cold seltzer right now enjoying the fact that I'm not on my 6th beer already. 600 calories saved! haha

I bought 3 cases of lime flavored seltzer for the weekend. Best of all I can drink all I want with no remorse. The more I think about it, this weekend is a milestone of proportions larger than I first realized.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Mr. Chill, it does take some getting used to but it sure does feel good not to have regrets or feel like garbage in the morning. I'm a coconut flavored seltzer person. Lime used to be my favorite. Goes in cycles.

Like I used to love chocolate cherry ice cream and now I'm a chunky monkey fan. Chocolate chunks seems to be the common denominator.

I'm home and ready to stuff my children into bed. They're not ready to be stuffed, unfortunately. Rats. I dozed off on the train so I'm tired, apparently.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

My weekend started today and easily will stay sober today. No cravings yet but I will be ready do deal with any that pop up.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Ruby, I'm tired too. Maybe it's the heat. People in chilly areas, please send some of that over here.

Started watching Daredevil and it's really well done -- but it's often so brutal and gory that I can't think of anyone I could recommend it to. I'm sure it's finding its own audience. Great cast of actors and interesting how they are developing the story.

Today I actually checkmated someone on the online correspondence chess site where I have been playing! I took a break and left the room for while before submitting the final move, to come back and review the board with fresh eyes in case I was missing some flaw. But checkmate it was -- so one win and three losses so far. Better than I expected to do!

Off to either tv-land or a little reading, and then bed. Goodnite!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Mr. Chill, it does take some getting used to but it sure does feel good not to have regrets or feel like garbage in the morning. I'm a coconut flavored seltzer person. Lime used to be my favorite. Goes in cycles.

Like I used to love chocolate cherry ice cream and now I'm a chunky monkey fan. Chocolate chunks seems to be the common denominator.

I'm home and ready to stuff my children into bed. They're not ready to be stuffed, unfortunately. Rats. I dozed off on the train so I'm tired, apparently.
Ruby what is this coconut seltzer you speak of?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I need to know this as well.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

It is a big tidal swing week. I have enjoyed immensely walking in the water and watching the young critters darting about underwater. Lots of dead crabs, not sure what that's about - whether it is a natural cycle or if they got caught off in the super low tide.

I have a hummingbird that visits my feeder I can't identify. It has a topnotch of feathers on its head and my bird book doesn't have anything like it, nor can I find anything online. I'm beginning to think it is just a cowlick, hummingbird style. He looks like he has a Mohawk.

Off to clean up the kitchen and watch some Netflix. I found a really funny 10-episode Netflix original series with Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson. I watched five of the 35 minute episodes last night. It's called "Grace & Frankie."

Ta, as ZaBoozer would say. I probably am using it wrong. I'm not very South Africa savvy.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Black walnut ice-cream, anyone?
Sounds amazing! I'll have to pass - been laying off the ice cream lately. This week I'm sticking with salads. I got a bit stir-crazy up there on the lake last week so I shaved my beard - and wow, I didn't like the fat little kid I saw underneath. So I went on a diet and am growing that beard back as soon as possible! LOL. Reckon another week of both will get me where I want to be.

One week until vacation! Should be on the Costa Rica/Panama border by the morning of June 1. Taking a real plane from GUA-SJO, and then a puddle jumper Cessna from SJO-LIO the next morning. Those little planes are scary, but they are cheap ($40 one way!) and you get some amazing National Geographic-style eye candy of rain forests, jungles, coastlines and oceans on the flight. Caribbean, here I come.

As for THIS weekend...no plans. I might drive to a sleepy little town on the Pacific and catch some ocean Sunday-Monday. That way, I'd be able to say I hit both the Pacific and Atlantic on the same week. The drive's not bad, great scenery of some active volcanoes on the way down and I can open the windows and feel the warm air when I hit the sugar cane fields. I know I make it sound pretty awesome, but there are plenty of hazards while driving as well. You might find a huge truck overloaded with branches speeding past you...or a small truck overloaded with people...

Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I'm in too. I am nervous about this weekend. 4 days off work, normally that would entail a few trips to the bar and lots of beer/vodka at the house. Also the pool opens this weekend. Not like it's warm enough to swim but in the past beer has always been a part of pool season. Hoping I can manage to keep busy enough to not be bothered with cravings. I think I should stay away from the pool.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I buy La Croix coconut flavored seltzer water. Not sweetened, mild flavor. I also like their lime and grapefruit flavors.

Solarion, changed your avatar again! I didn't compliment you on the phoenix one and it's different.

Bimini, I'd love to see the tidal pools. I like seeing all the creatures.

BigS, those little planes are scary. But it would be super cool to see what you see.

Kids in bed, finally. I'm watching First 48. I'm a crime junky apparently.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Allie, maybe make more solid plans for the weekend? Is there a place you'd like to check out for coffee, or a museum you'd like to visit? Not the pool but maybe different can work to your advantage.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Oh no. Oh no! Ok so last year almost to the month, week, whatever...I bought coconut water as an entree into trying coconut seltzer water after Ms.Ruby went on about its virtues.

Whatever I tried was so horrible. Now I have to avert my eyes from that entire section at Whole Foods as my stomach turns whenever I catch sight. The only way I would try that flavor now is if it was chocked full of lemons and a variety of fruits with sunglasses and a moustache disguise.

You go right ahead gettingsmarter and buy yourself a 12-pack of that seltzer if you are feeling brave. Maybe send one to Olive's PO box while you are at it. Report back with your thoughts.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Verte, you crack me up. I must assure you and all the readers that La Croix coconut seltzer is in no way like coconut water. I hate coconut water. My husband had me buying it then stopped drinking it. I used it to water my houseplants.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I'm hopping on this bus. Where's it headed?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

La Croix coconut is not like real coconut water even though I love them both.

Ruby, have you tried Vintage seltzer? I got coconut, grapefruit, and cucumber melon. So far, I think I prefer La Croix grapefruit and the Vintage coconut. There is a slight taste of pineapple in the Vintage coconut and reminds me of Haagen Dazs pineapple coconut ice-cream.