Notices

Stay Sober Memorial Day Weekender May 21 - 26

Old 05-24-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
What's for dinner Weasel?
Oh.... Hanger steak with Gouda mashed taters and seasoned broccoli. Mmmmm

Ready for TV and a day well spent soberly ...with you all!

Thank you! You are all so smart, funny, giving, and kind.

K
Old 05-24-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Ok, so I tried the strawberry pepper thing and honestly I couldn't really tell much of a difference which leads me to believe something's wrong with my tastebuds!!!! I mean first it was the salt on watermelon and now this?!? I wonder if being a vegetarian all these years has affected my tasters?

That cake looks yummy, Jennie!

Weasel....sounds good but I don't know what hanger steak is! (I apparently really do have food issues blah!)
Old 05-24-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Gouda taters sounds lovely, Weasel

Aww, Brynn, and I was imagining fireworks inside the mouth for that combo! I still want to try it.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Jennie, don't rely on my taste taste! Apparently something's wrong with my taste buds!
Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I'll now have to try that, Mesa. Another stellar combo is cheddar & strawberries, so so good!!
Blue cheese and pears.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

GnikNus, I've had that one, so good

Ok so what goes perfectly with Brie? Brie used to be my favorite (back in my wine drinking days), but now that I don't drink anymore, it's lost some of it's lustre for me. I want to love Brie again.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

A pic from today's walk on the island. I wanna live here. Lol

Old 05-24-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

So beautiful, Weasel
Old 05-24-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Gorgeous! Looks so peaceful and relaxing!
Old 05-24-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Yes, hallarious, Brain. Sixth grade humor is so refreshing
Old 05-24-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

5pm arrived. Like a loud internal alarm clock calling me to that glass of wine. I know I'm doing the right thing by quitting just by how hard these last days have been. Yesterday, I went for a 5 mile run right about now.... today? Day 3 and still hanging in there by my fingernails.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

I'm in, though late. I have an opportunity to view the beautiful Gulf of Mexico from Florida's side. I will definitely do this....sober and grateful for God's blessings.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Keep hanging on, segCurly! The first few weeks I had to change up my routine around my witching hour (2pm) and by doing that I was able to form new habits for that time of day, which included a nice treat....something sweet or a nice rich coffee....something special to look forward to.
It does get easier especially if you have a plan and if you've made a firm commitment to yourself to not drink no matter what.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

segCurly, you can do it Focus hour by hour if you need to. Finding distractions helps. Treating yourself does too. Maybe some cake or ice-cream?

You'll gain momentum with each sober day
Old 05-24-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by segCurly View Post
5pm arrived. Yesterday, I went for a 5 mile run right about now.... today? Day 3 and still hanging in there by my fingernails.
If a run worked yesterday, why not try it again today? Or do what others have suggested and go the opposite route and eat some chocolate or ice cream or, even better, chocolate ice cream.

Hang in there, segCurly. Post in here once a minute if that's what it takes. We all understand what you're going thru and we're all here for you.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by segCurly View Post
5pm arrived. Like a loud internal alarm clock calling me to that glass of wine. I know I'm doing the right thing by quitting just by how hard these last days have been. Yesterday, I went for a 5 mile run right about now.... today? Day 3 and still hanging in there by my fingernails.
It will take some time and patience to de-Pavlov yourself. I would suggest stocking up on quick and healthy things to eat at that hour (or plan some other daily activity for that time) to replace the old habit.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Holidays. Bah. BAH, I say. Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Father's Day then multiple birthdays in June for people who have passed. I'm not too cheerful.

I get all self-pitying and start thinking poor me on holidays. I miss my family and would love to be having a BBQ somewhere with them - but they all died, dammit.

The beach walk today didn't snap me out of it like it normally would. I just started thinking about beer - and then I went to the thrift store to replace a bowl I need and there were all these people laughing it up over the shot glasses and. . . and. . .I had a bit of a struggle today. Totally out of left field.

It's over. I caved and bought Caramel Cone Haagen Daas. Don't even care that I'm 1288 calories over my goal. Well, I do care, but it's better than a Margarita.

Sorry. Not much of a whiner, actually. Thank God for ice cream, that's all I have to say.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Bimini, I'm kind of in the same boat right now... my mom's birthday, mother's day, blah blah. Yeah. Dead and gone. She left me with all these effed up memories, how lovely of her
Old 05-24-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

I'll be 60 on Tuesday!! And looking and feeling younger than the age! Thank God I have sobriety and joy! And wishing many others of that joy and a fulfilling life ! May the rest of 2015 be a wondrous time for all!!
Old 05-24-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm really sorry Bimini and Jennie. I can relate as my mom and sister are both gone as a result of addiction (which I guess is neither here nor there) and the family I've got left are addicts as well so yeah...can get a bit lonely on holidays.

Bimini....I had that very ice cream the other day for the first time and it's my new favorite!! And yes....I say it's 1200 calories well spent sister!