Notices

Fitness

Old 05-20-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fitness

Anyone use fitness as a substitute for alcohol? I've eliminated alcohol from my life, and I have added biking, hiking, running and swiming in my regimen. I've lost ten pounds since starting this a year ago, and my my health stats have really improved greatly. I feel like I've added another 20 years to my life!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Exercise has been absolutely critical to my recovery. Whatever we did to our poor brains ... exercise has helped get mine to a much better place. Physically, I feel soooooooo much better. I do aerobic exercise, light weights and Pilates. I'm also trying something new, tai chi. I've only attended three sessions but enjoy it. Definitely not as easy as it looks, though! I've been wanting to try it since seeing practitioners in Golden Gate Park a few years back. They were so amazingly graceful. Funny how once we get sober, we actually *do* the things we only talked about doing before.

Paired with a sensible diet (the Mayo Clinic Plan), I am what could reasonably be called slender (not skinny). It took a lot of hard work to shed the pounds -- thanks for nothing, booze -- but it's been worth it.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Definitely! For me priority one right now is staying off booze, number two is getting back to ideal weight and staying there. The pounds are finally coming off after years of half-hearted efforts. It is really hard for me to lose weight while drinking. It's not just the calories of the booze. I think it messes with your hormones as well.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is so funny that you mentioned the word substitute. My mother in law said that my husband needs to find a substitute, and I guess this is what she meant. Something healthy to do to replace alcohol. Makes sense now, LOL!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. I just ran the bay to breakers race in SF last week. It was surreal run, running by all these drunk folks.

I was so proud this week. An employee said I was an example for her in terms of staying fit and active.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by Jtf7 View Post
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. I just ran the bay to breakers race in SF last week. It was surreal run, running by all these drunk folks.

I was so proud this week. An employee said I was an example for her in terms of staying fit and active.
Oh, man, I used to live one block away from the route on Fell Street for Bay to Breakers. Pretty sad to see the young people wasted or passed out cold in the middle of the day. Great costumes, though.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise and the Right nutrition have been key in my recovery. The endorphins that kick in around 20 minutes of cardio are great for preventing depression and anxiety attacks . I always feel 100 percent better after I exercise And eat healthy . It's gotten to the point that when I treat myself to certain sugary or dairy foods I immediately feel the ill effects which helps keep me on track
Old 05-21-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wouldn't say I use it as a substitute for drinking, but running, biking, gym time, martial arts - all are fitness outlets that support and enrich my sobriety
Old 05-21-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exercise is the only thing that makes me feel even keeled. I can't recommend it enough, even if one is horribly out of shape, start simple with a regular long walk. Now I run, bike, lift weights. But whatever you do, don't beat yourself up for missing a workout you had planned. The key for me was allowing me to fail at some of my workouts until I built enough momentum.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started saying to myself, if I feel the urge to drink to go do a 30 min workout and re- evaluate. After working out I find myself saying, well why drink now and just ruin all the calories I burned.