Notices

It all happend so sudden!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It all happend so sudden!

Woke up today on day 4 feeling really positive, tired but positive and being productive such as cooking and cleaning, walking the dog and even some light exercise on my stationary bike! And all of a sudden BLAM I get low and I mean really low and then suddenly the thought of a few beers would be nice and then that turned into an all day craving!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand breathe here I am still sober, darn well exhausted now tho folks! Just expressing that is all!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Early on when I would exercise I'd crash later and it was due to low blood sugar. Not suggesting that is going on for you necessarily, but just wanted to throw it out there as a possibility. I had to make sure to eat regularly, and I mean every few hours. And to not overdo it physically. I was running and that was wiping me out. Light exercise should be great though.

Eating always seemed to boost my moods.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Early on when I would exercise I'd crash later and it was due to low blood sugar. Not suggesting that is going on for you necessarily, but just wanted to throw it out there as a possibility. I had to make sure to eat regularly, and I mean every few hours. And to not overdo it physically. I was running and that was wiping me out. Light exercise should be great though.

Eating always seemed to boost my moods.
I went hard yesterday for 30 mins and I think maybe that has had an impact on me, I think for now just light stuff atleast while I get well!

I also ordered a takeout and now feel sick ughh my own fault on that one lol
Old 05-20-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that 'easy does it' is often the best approach in early recovery. I hope you feel better.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I agree that 'easy does it' is often the best approach in early recovery. I hope you feel better.
I feel very emotional right now Anna, like I can feel tears just welling up inside me and yet too tired to even have a conversation face to face with someone. Been feeling a bit surreal today aswell!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to get those dips too.
Sometimes I was over the moon and really happy and full of great energy and intentions.
Half an hour later, I could have crawled to bed.

I found having a sugary drink helped.
A fresh orange, full fat coke, a hot chocolate.
I think the thoughts of a beer come when our blood sugar takes a hit.
I think that's why when we drink, we often say after a few we have got our 2nd wind.
I think it's just a surge in calories and sugar when we drink booze.
You don't have to drink alcohol to get that. You can get it with other non booze options.

I really do think HALT is significant to us to.
If I got too hungry, angry, lonely or tired, I could convince myself the world was about to end.
A good sleep, a chat with a friend or a good meal made the world of difference.
I'm glad you got through it! Xx
Old 05-20-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

emotions can come on like a thunderstorm..... and that's true of sobriety and recovery but it's equally true of just simply being HUMAN.

one thing I think we are blessed with in recovery and sobriety is an intense focus on dealing with those emotions. Because we are brought to that intensity through the struggle with our addiction, we are forced to really look at, understand and learn ways to respond healthfully to emotion.

I think that's a gift, actually... because many people who have not done so in response to addiction struggles continue to live their lives plagued by emotional overload, stress, mood swings and mental processes that make life really tough. Recovery blesses us with an opportunity to free ourselves from unhealthy and unconscious responses to being human....
Old 05-20-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you didn't cave Chilled. I went through that same thing a few times in the early days of recovery. Thankfully everything calmed down. After drinking for a lifetime, I now rarely think of it. You will get past this stage.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I feel very emotional right now Anna, like I can feel tears just welling up inside me and yet too tired to even have a conversation face to face with someone. Been feeling a bit surreal today aswell!
I know exactly how you feel--what helps me is a big bowl of quality ice cream and a good cry in the tub / shower while I'm eating it.

Then to bed under clean sheets, and an old movie on the telly if it's really bad.

Hugs
Old 05-20-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

^ What Hawkeye said.

I've eaten so much ice cream this last month it's ridiculous.

I also started carrying snacks with me. EVERYWHERE. Hunger seems to be a big trigger for my cravings, so anytime I start to think about booze or get emotional I eat something, whether I think I'm hungry or not. Seems to stop it.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it!

I feel very drained through it all, I think its time for some morning coffee
Old 05-20-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Chilledice! Im also on day 4 same as you and feeling the exact same.
Was ok when I woke up then suddenly felt down and miserable like I am lost.

Its my usual pub day as well so I plan too get takeout and try distract myself so as not too cave in!

But follow everyone else advice a good drink or meal and relax is the best option, Hold in there!
Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It's just a feeling ,
The great thing about sobriety in my experience is that feelings come and go and they don't hang round like huge resentments used to when i was drinking .

You don't need to do anything , there is no magic i know you don't , you don't need to engage with it or act funny, you just keep on with your sober routine and carry on dealing with life on it's own terms learning and growing , persevere .

Thats what i did .

m
Old 05-21-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Chilledice!