Notices

Football79's thoughts

Old 03-05-2021, 08:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I've tried the drinking mathematics, equations, minutes, hours, quantity, quality and it's a heck of a lot of work. It's obsessing over how many I can have. Then trying to "savor" every moment of the allotted amount.

Inner monologues while "moderating" kinda go like this:
How many minutes have passed? Do I get my next one yet? Am I at my maximum? Why don't they sell 3 packs of beer? Well I guess that could be 3 beers, two nights, and if I have 3 really fast I get my buzz fast but an hour later, the buzz is gone. Hmmm...maybe I'll have one per half/hour - that's 1.5 hours and maybe I'll stay buzzed until I hit bed. OH what? Today is a "special" day!! What's a special day you say? Holiday, vacation, weekends - I get to have 5 beers then. Maybe one every 15 minutes or is it 20-- has 30 minutes gone by? Why is my can so light - have I really finished it?

Today - is a special day! It's Tuesday and I did a workout. So this TUESDAY ONLY - I get to have 4.5 beers - one every 26.78 minutes. I'll keep the other 1.5 beers for tomorrow to make up for today's special day. But now tomorrow is here - who drinks .5 beers?! That's absurd!! I'll just pick up 1 tallboy (1 can - not 2 drinks!) so that's just 2.5 beers--errr I meant 1.5 drinks, and I'm technically? below my goal of 3 on a Wednesday - and a Special day is coming - what? bad news? I guess I can have 6 today.

Oh crap! I went over my 3beers - 4 times this week goals. Week is a lost cause, time to just have my 9 beers a night and try again Monday. Maybe I should bump it up to 4 beers on Monday - just for the summer. Then back to the original goal of 3 for Fall---oh but Special Season time!! Xmas and New Years."

----and on and on and on. It's exhausting!! Sobriety is easier and without all this inner fights and compromising with the AV the day is better. AV: I want a drink - just a little one. My response: I don't drink.

Done! Next item to think about - should I have a slice of apple pie or maybe knock doing some bills or ANYTHING else that is more productive. If I'm thirsty so many non-boozy options out there.

You had 2 years, you know the drill, you can absolutely do this again! I wish you all the best.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone. Gives me lots to think about. I've decided maybe this isn't the place to update a thread about a moderation attempt. Take care everyone and best of luck going forward!
Old 03-05-2021, 11:19 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

"Has anyone in my(our) position been able to successfully moderate..." Not me. Nope.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:58 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Lpg

I'm sorry for all the suffering you have had since alcohol returned to your life. I have recently been thinking about allowing alcohol back into my life again after 3 years but after coming here and posting before picking up the bottle I was able to avoid going down that road. I even said about the 3 drinks max with dinner, that's how I romanticised it being. We can allow ourselfs to beleive falsehoods because that's what the AV wants us to think. I think you know deep down the answer to your question about moderation.
You have the power to change it football79, you can turn it around you know how to do it, you have done it before. I hope you come back and join us here. Don't give up.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by football79 View Post
Hi Team!

I have been lurking here for a few months and this site has helped me a lot many times. This is an amazing positive place. A big thank you to the regular posters! You guys are great! I thought I would post in the hopes to maybe help some people.

I am an alcoholic. I have been drinking heavily for about 8 years with many blackouts, hangovers, and problems. I decided I was going to quit alcohol for the first time. I have been sober for 16 days. Here are my thoughts in early sobriety...

Negatives to sobriety:
-I miss the buzz
-Cravings were quite strong for the first 5 days but much easier since then

Positives to sobriety:
-No more hangovers
-No more depression after a binge
-No more anxiety after a binge
-No more problems with family, friends, or my girlfriend
-No more daily work worries or dreading the day
-No more red puffy face
-Increased energy and sense of well being
-I look forward to mornings and starting the day
-Noticeable improvement in appearance especially skin
-More money
-Stronger gym performance

What I do when cravings hit:
-Read on SR-usually try for a couple hours every evening
-Deep breaths
-Play the tape through
-Chew gum
-Tell myself to ignore the AV beast
-Remember the feeling of the horrible times due to alcohol and ask myself if I want to go there again
-Tell myself "this too shall pass"
-Tell myself that a few hours of a buzz is not worth a few days of hangovers, anxiety and depression

I am feeling much better physically but also notice mental and emotional calmness and stability. My social life has already improved as well as I feel much better at work and am available to be contacted now that I am not drunk or hungover. I answer my phone now.

I have been lifting weights at least 4 days per week, doing yoga, rollerblading, playing catch with a baseball or football, eating healthy, drinking about 6 liters of water every day and sleeping well. This has helped me to feel great as I enjoy my new found love of life.

For anyone struggling in early recovery........please stick with it. Life gets so much better once you are sober for awhile. Thanks very much for reading and any comments/questions are welcome.
-
Well done mate, smashing it!

I'm only on day 4 at the moment, but I could've written than from previous times I've stopped. Literally the exact same list of positives and negatives. I do miss the buzz, that's why I drink. I don't particularly like the taste but love the buzz.

Aw well!
Old 03-06-2021, 12:18 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hey all!
I just read back through this thread and it made me smile cause of all the beautiful replies. Please excuse the typos as I'm on my mobile phone. I should have just sailed off into the sunset as I had over 2 years sober but stupidly decided on one evening sitting on the beach in Thailand with friends, that my life was boring(peaceful) and made a decision to re-enter alcohol into my life. Well, what a dumb decision that was. As you can imagine, all hell has broken loose since then. That was 2 or 3 years ago.
Just a preface, I am now 41 years old, Canadian but living
in Thailand. Always been an avid exerciser, athlete, sports guy, and a normal dude.
In the last few years I have been to hell and back several times due to alcohol. All the nifhtmares you can imagine due strictly to alcohol. On my phone now cause one day I was hammered and decidef that was it for me so threw my laptop and old phone into the river to be untraicable, drank for a couple days in hotels, went up to the 18th floor and out the fire escape, climbed the wall on to the top and planned to jump down. I sat there for 3 hours or so on a tiny ledge looking down but eventually sobered up enough to jump back down, get help and live for another day.
Since then I went on zoloft to help with anxiety and depression but the problem was I'd still drink majorly excessively(about 40 ounces of whiskey per bout)(I hate whiskey but beer wouldn't get me drunk fast enough and the mix of alcohol and zoloft was usually too much to handle so frequently endef up crazy, needing my lovely wife to interfere with help. I have beem in hospital several timee needing an Iv, valium and just a way to stop really.
I recently drank 7 days straight until my wife called the ambulance to come bring me to the hospital. 3 nights there on Iv and meds until I was strong enough to leave. I have upset my wife, aging parents, neighbors and everyone else recently. My parents and wife want me to go to 28 day inpatient rehab but I refuse.

Fast forward to last week and somdthing had to give. I had to stop causing chaos in everyone's life so dug deep within lol.
I asked myself what I likef about alcohol cause it sure isn't the recent past. My answer was....
I like that first beer on a hot day, the 3 beer buzz and that's it.

So, that's what I'll do. Just drink 3-4 beers to achieve both and stop before the problems occur lol. Yup. Moderation lol.
It's either stop altogether or moderate.
The other day I drank 4 cans of beer and somehow stopped. Today, I drank 5 and stopped. yes I know 5 is more than 4. The goal is to get that 3 beer buzz, be able to drink but avoid all the problems lol. Impossible right?
After I get to 3-4-5 beers the obsession and compulsion are certainly there but tell myself I can do this again if I stop now but keep going and never drink again.
So here we are. Off to eat dinner and relax and bed. I'll update this thread as I progress. I plan to drink a fee beers 2 or 3 times a week. Lets see how this goes. Right now it sucks to have to stop after a few beers but totdl abastinence is worse.

All the best to you all!
Just reading this now mate, never noticed the date on the first post. Hopefully you find a solution man you sound very similar to me. I just love to drink, nothing to do with blocking stuff out. Love the buzz.
I travel a lot also, just arrived in South Korea from Bali. Left Bali as it was too hard not to drink there (iI relate the sun and beach with beers.

Drank the first 6 weeks in Korea but managed to stop a few days ago and been hitting the gym. Hoping I can stay off it!
Old 03-07-2021, 10:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey all!
I just read back through this thread and it made me smile cause of all the beautiful replies. Please excuse the typos as I'm on my mobile phone. I should have just sailed off into the sunset as I had over 2 years sober but stupidly decided on one evening sitting on the beach in Thailand with friends, that my life was boring(peaceful) and made a decision to re-enter alcohol into my life. Well, what a dumb decision that was. As you can imagine, all hell has broken loose since then. That was 2 or 3 years ago.
Just a preface, I am now 41 years old, Canadian but living
in Thailand. Always been an avid exerciser, athlete, sports guy, and a normal dude.
In the last few years I have been to hell and back several times due to alcohol. All the nifhtmares you can imagine due strictly to alcohol. On my phone now cause one day I was hammered and decidef that was it for me so threw my laptop and old phone into the river to be untraicable, drank for a couple days in hotels, went up to the 18th floor and out the fire escape, climbed the wall on to the top and planned to jump down. I sat there for 3 hours or so on a tiny ledge looking down but eventually sobered up enough to jump back down, get help and live for another day.
Since then I went on zoloft to help with anxiety and depression but the problem was I'd still drink majorly excessively(about 40 ounces of whiskey per bout)(I hate whiskey but beer wouldn't get me drunk fast enough and the mix of alcohol and zoloft was usually too much to handle so frequently endef up crazy, needing my lovely wife to interfere with help. I have beem in hospital several timee needing an Iv, valium and just a way to stop really.
I recently drank 7 days straight until my wife called the ambulance to come bring me to the hospital. 3 nights there on Iv and meds until I was strong enough to leave. I have upset my wife, aging parents, neighbors and everyone else recently. My parents and wife want me to go to 28 day inpatient rehab but I refuse.

Fast forward to last week and somdthing had to give. I had to stop causing chaos in everyone's life so dug deep within lol.
I asked myself what I likef about alcohol cause it sure isn't the recent past. My answer was....
I like that first beer on a hot day, the 3 beer buzz and that's it.

So, that's what I'll do. Just drink 3-4 beers to achieve both and stop before the problems occur lol. Yup. Moderation lol.
It's either stop altogether or moderate.
The other day I drank 4 cans of beer and somehow stopped. Today, I drank 5 and stopped. yes I know 5 is more than 4. The goal is to get that 3 beer buzz, be able to drink but avoid all the problems lol. Impossible right?
After I get to 3-4-5 beers the obsession and compulsion are certainly there but tell myself I can do this again if I stop now but keep going and never drink again.
So here we are. Off to eat dinner and relax and bed. I'll update this thread as I progress. I plan to drink a fee beers 2 or 3 times a week. Lets see how this goes. Right now it sucks to have to stop after a few beers but totdl abastinence is worse.

All the best to you all!
Alcohol overwrote my self preservation protocol in my brain. It appears to have done the same to you friend. I would suggest leaving it behind, a bad memory.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:21 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Started reading your thread and it sounded so much like myself when I first quit. Then I read further and realized that the choice you made on that beach is my biggest nightmare. I'm sorry but stories like yours are why I come here from time to time. You had two years I think, no reason you cant get it right back. You should read less gravity's guide to moderation. If I knew how to bump it I would. The sooner you get even the notion of moderation out of your head the sooner you'll be rid of this ********. I wish you the best man.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone. Gives me lots to think about. I've decided maybe this isn't the place to update a thread about a moderation attempt. Take care everyone and best of luck going forward!
It is the best place to talk about your situation. Truthful feedback. I hope you make it back to sobriety and continue with living your best life sober. Its sounded like sobriety suited you.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:26 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

There've been threads about moderation attempts before Football. No need to cut yourself off from support here, but we will try and get you to stop .
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-drinking.html (Maturing out, moderate drinking)

This is a good thread too.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...oderation.html (My guide to moderation)
I hope you decide to try for abstinence again.

D
Old 12-08-2021, 09:03 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Update Dec 8 2021

Hi everyone,
Update time. It's Dec 8/21. It's been a number of months since I was last here with my 'moderation' plan. It just wasn't worth it in the end. Not enough pleasure or fun for the amount of discomfort/life damage. I was mostly able to moderate somewhat reasonably but there were also a number of times that I went overboard and problems started to re-enter my life. Hangovers, lost days, etc. So, put me down as another person that realized trying to moderate is a bad idea for people like us.
I have been reading lots on SR over the past number of days to try to get my brain to really want to quit for good and it has worked somewhat. I have also read a couple recovery books lately which has helped a bit as well. I am about to read the AVRT book and will re-read 'this naked mind' next as I remember that one being very helpful.
So, here I am on day 4 with life long abstinence the plan. I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. **** off beast!!!
My plan going forward will be to read on SR daily. Follow AVRT, and continue to read recovery books. Please forgive me for not posting in other threads. It is hard on this little android keypad and makes me anxious anyway. I do however massively appreciate all the responses from you all. I will continue to update this thread periodically in hopes of helping you guys. All the best to you all. Good luck in your journey. It's better to be sober!!!
Old 12-08-2021, 09:31 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Welcome back football79🥰
Old 12-08-2021, 10:17 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey football
Glad you made it back and that you see moderation for what it is for most of us - a lot of effort for no real quantifiable return.

D
Old 12-09-2021, 01:00 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Your story had a couple of twists and turns, football.

Welcome back to SR!

You identified some triggers when you tried moderation. Like sitting on a beach in sunshine. When I quit for good I had to address those sorts of things. If I had to sit on the beach today with people around me drinking, it wouldn't be a problem. But in early sobriety, I would have had to avoid the beach for a good while or have a solid plan if I did go, like bringing my own non-alcoholic beverages, leaving early if I had to etc. Well, you were sober for 2 years, so I am sure you know what I mean. And you seem very insightful and reflective. I hope you have those bases covered, is all.

Look forward to updates!

Old 12-09-2021, 03:50 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome back footballs.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:23 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Footy79, sorry you’ve had a hard time of late, but you’re very brave to post about your recent events. I’d have never assumed that moderation was such a problem before I come to this site, and in my experience, doctors don’t hammer home that message. After reading a lot of posts here, I looked at some medical/science studies about alcoholics trying to moderate. I was obviously after a success story to give me the green light, but I swear I didn’t find a single success story. All the alcoholics failed at moderation and became heavy drinkers again. You and I and lots of us here learned that the hard way, but it’s great you’ve now quit for good. It’s surprisingly easy, well easier, to quit 100% than to moderate or have little “treats” every now and then.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:17 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi football79. Thanks for coming back and sharing all of that. I've been sober 2 years after 30 years of hard drinking. I never gave moderation a shot, but it certainly does enter my mind on a very regular basis. I think one of the main reasons I have never tried it is the numerous stories on SR about failure after failure after failure of attempts to moderate. It just seems to be a pipedream of our addicted heads. Thanks again for sharing and it really helps people like me stay quit.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:36 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Never worked for me me football. I started kicking some real goals for myself. Abstinence put things right through the centre posts. 🏈 Good luck though.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:36 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone! Nice to read. Amazing community we have here on SR! Over the last several months I had 'only' been drinking 4-8 beers a couple times per week so no crazy withdrawals but a few positives I have been enjoying so far even though I'm only on day 5: Better sleep, more energy, less need for naps, no more acid reflux, clearer head, more positive outlook, no more empty calories, no more skipped workouts, more money, no more negotiating/mental gymnastics with alcohol(not my terms).
It gets better and better. Thanks again everyone! Wishing you all good luck on your journey and a safe and happy weekend!