Notices

Admittance, 25yo alcoholic

Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Admittance, 25yo alcoholic

Hello everyone, hope you don't mind me sharing and asking for support. I've been drinking since 16, and every time I have drank I always got drunk. I've been stuck in spring break mode for far to long. At 18 i was diagnosed with generalized anxiety, and put on klonopin. I still drank, but the meds and alcohol didn't mix so well, at least not for my memory. Anyways, this past weekend I drank 18 beers and god knows what else because I can't remember, im extremely surprised that I'm alive to type this. It was the hangover my mom has been praying for, because it woke me up to the fact that I was an alcoholic. So far in three days sober, haven't had any bad withdrawals, just a lot of anxiety. I used to drink 4-5 times a week, so I was expecting harsher withdrawals. Should I be expecting more? Since I have admitted to myself that I am an alcoholic, I actually fee a lot better and look forward to getting my life back. Thanks for bearing with me through my rant. Good day/night to everyone.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are here hallwesley98!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

This is a great place to start....
Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Hallwesley! You've taken that first step towards changing you're life, which is awesome.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for welcoming me with open arms! Never thought I would be but couldn't be happier that I found this forum.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! You'll be here with people with tons of advice. I wish you the best
Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Hallwesley and welcome! Best of luck to you in your journey!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, hallwesley98! There is a ton of wisdom and great support to be found here. Wishing you the best!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Would I already be having withdrawals if I was going to get them? I stopped drinking for 5days a couple weeks ago and nothing happened then either. Just feeling a little anxious after reading all these withdrawal symptoms.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hallwesley98 View Post
Would I already be having withdrawals if I was going to get them? I stopped drinking for 5days a couple weeks ago and nothing happened then either. Just feeling a little anxious after reading all these withdrawal symptoms.
Sometimes things that seem unrelated can pop up anytime after we quit. If you've been drinking for 9 years it's going to take your body and brain time to heal. If something is bothering you come here and ask us and/or seek medical or psychological help from a professional.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Hall! I'm just about 25 myself, and also an alcoholic.

It's good to admit being alcoholic, but even better to recognize it.

I'm on my second week of sobriety and, again, I'm not getting any withdrawal symptoms. I never have before, even when I quit last year as well.
But I do get cravings, and I especially get triggers for drinking. Perhaps you will too, and that's normal and okay.

Not having withdrawal doesn't change anything about the way you perceive yourself in regards to drinking; if you feel it's a problem, it's important to address it. But regardless what brings you to post threads and posts at SR, whether it's withdrawal or cravings or triggers or even just the need to talk, do it. It's challenging to quit, and it is extremely comforting to be able to discuss that challenge with others who understand exactly what you're going through.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome! I quit 3 years ago when I was 25. You can do this!!!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hallwesley!!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome HallWesley
Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey there

I am 25 also, one year sober now and it has been so massively, unbelievably worth it.
I am so very glad you are stopping. Acceptance is huge, it took me a while to get that one but once I did, healing did slowly begin. Wishing you all of the very best on this enriching journey. Keep at it
Old 05-22-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wish I would had admitted I was an alcoholic when I was 25, kudos to you! Good luck to you, get a good plan together and do it!! it will be the best thing you'll ever do! Also see a doctor and try to get off the meds.. Benzo's are bad, especially missed with booze..
Old 05-24-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Been off the meds since I was 21. I either lost my pills or someone stole them but long story short, doctor wouldn't fill them again because she found out I had been drinking on them. She more than likely saved my life day. Coming off of those benzos cold turkey was the absolute most miserable thing I have ever been put through. I will never take another anxiety pill again.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well done for stopping and for admitting you have a problem.

Lots of people worry more about withdrawals than the 'just anxiety'. I can't give advice on withdrawals (never got them) but I know that there is no 'just' about the anxiety we feel when stepping away from booze after relying on it to make us feel better for an extended period. Please make sure that you have support (sounds like you can talk to your mum for a start off, and you have this network to chat with. I find AA amazingly helpful, but know that others prefer SMART and other things - there's a lot out there). While withdrawals are short term, the anxiety can hang around for years and years - especially if you don't address it.

Take care.
Wishing you smooth recovery
Old 05-25-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you posted earlier today, hallwesley98. How are you doing?