Notices

need advice for tapering off...

Old 05-19-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
This is an excellent post.

There are many of us on this site who have professional careers, myself included. I'm not thrilled about what's on my record from a privacy perspective (w/the EPIC centralized record system, pretty much all records can be accessed by different doctors/medical groups...). Also, I'm concerned with insurance eligibility in the future.

The concerns outlined above, pale in contrast to wanting to unravel myself from the alcoholic mess I was in. I was on the fast track to hell. I needed to either get sober or continue to live in an alcoholic prison.

I hope you reconsider your decision to not seek medical help. BTW - welcome to SR. Glad to see you here
I went to a counselor today; and they had me follow up with a doctor. I left with a prescription for anxiety, as well as something for the first few days. It is completely confidential. They cannot discuss it with anyone. I gave them permission to share it with my regular doctor, but they would not have otherwise.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I went to a counselor today; and they had me follow up with a doctor. I left with a prescription for anxiety, as well as something for the first few days. It is completely confidential. They cannot discuss it with anyone. I gave them permission to share it with my regular doctor, but they would not have otherwise.
The EPIC system is widely used by large medical groups (ie. Sutter Health, Kaiser...) to maintain centralized patient medical records, any doctor can see your record within that medical group. While a medical practice is bound by HIPPA laws to keep information confidential and not share information, your record is within the EPIC database can be accessed by providers within your medical group.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

IMO tapering can only be done by very strong willed people. Most of the time it doesn't work. I know I tried it and after the 3rd drink I was like f this and go balls to the wall. I think a good talk to the doctor, and if you can take time off from work would help right away. Good luck
Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Julesonya......it may end up on your medical record.....chances are you'll still be insurable.....after a certain time frame and you may get rated which means you'll pay more to get insurance but trust me......you'll be okay .....unless you've got several duis to go w your problem. Sometimes even just 1 dui....disqualifies you for life insurance.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I sort of tapered: I had three drinks one night then had the rest taken away by someone who refused to let me have any more and she took my car keys. That was it. I'd normally had 4 -5 glasses of wine per night up until then.
My Dr. is very aware of my behavior and I do think its a good idea to be up front about it. If you are concerned about withdrawals, your physician could alleviate your concerns or may agree that a detox is in order. But at least you'll have a professional opinion.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't know how it works in your area/country, but could you take a trip to your nearest large city and see a doctor there?

(Personally I just stopped drinking one day and that was it for me. Didn't even think to let anyone know what I was doing. Young and dumb )
Old 05-19-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

If drinking has been really extreme then a supervised taper may be necessary for a while.
Some doctors prescribe a benzo such as valium to help come off alcohol. As these are highly addictive it should be kept in mind not to stay on such too long.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice!! I should be alcohol free by Friday and will post to let everyone know how it goes. This site is amazing, and scrolling through posts by people who have gone through similar situations is so comforting! It's easy to find yourself alone with these types of things, and now I feel like I have a support group
Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

How's the taper going lizardbeth? I've been tapering this week too. After the last 2 days of two beers, tonight will be just one, then tomorrow none. I planned it that way so I would have a cpl days off just i case I didn't feel well. I was up to a bottle and a half to 1.5l of red wine a night.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

hmmmm....cant help but wonder...posts about trying to taper off with the promise of an update after declaring "I should be alcohol free by Friday..." Then....no more posts by either lizardbeth OR Summerfall.....anywhere on the site...hope this isn't a bad sign....