Notices

Stepping Out

Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stepping Out

Hey everyone,

I'm a 28 year old alcoholic who started drinking at age 17 as a way to self-medicate anxiety. I always lied to myself and told myself I could moderate my drinking, but now I know that's never going to happen. My drinking is completely out of control. I've isolated myself over the years, and I don't have many friends or much of a social life.

I feel empty. I'm trying to quit drinking and start getting out more and meeting new people and living life. It's going to be hard for me. The cravings are almost unbearable sometimes. And on top of that, I'm an introvert who has a hard time meeting new people and trusting people. But I know I have to fill up my life with something other than drinking.

I'm on day 3 now. I've reached out to a therapist who specializes in addictions, and I plan to post here and read your posts to help with this process. Thanks for reading.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you got in touch with a counselor. I saw an addiction counselor for over five years. It was very helpful to me.

Reading and posting here is very helpful too, so read and post all you like! Congrats on three days sober and many more to come.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
I am in no doubt alcohol limits our potential, only now am I learning to live up to my potential!!
PK
Like trying to drive with the handbrake on!

Best of luck though, I wish you the best with the gig.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love that PurpleKnight, you're awesome Sir!