Notices

The two old drunks outside the window

Old 05-18-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The two old drunks outside the window

So this is day two for me... again. I haven't hit any bottom, just sick of feeling like crap, wondering if coworkers can smell the booze after a binge, you all know this I am sure.. Well, all day I have been on here reading posts and I had opened the shades earlier, because it is overcast outside and it makes me feel cozy. Then I saw an older man pushing a lawnmower with an older lady on a teenage boys bike. For some reason they decided to stop in front of my house. The lady pulled out a bottle of vodka and the both took some rather large chugs off of it. I kinda felt like my cat observing what goes on from the window, safe and separated from the outside. I don't want this to be me one day. They looked worn and tired, malnourished, beaten down. I sit on my couch with my 2 kitties and a warm cup of tea, grateful to be sober right now in this moment. Enjoying the peaceful sound of the laundry turning in the dryer and the peacefulness in my soul.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That was an eye opener for sure. It's nice when we still have time to change our future for the better.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chances

An omen perhaps of things to come if you don't make changes.
Good luck and strength to you
Old 05-18-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's nice to see those little reminders, especially early on!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 2 GG

D
Old 05-18-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, that's how you could end up. Not a pretty sight.

Keep on keepin' on. Living sober really rocks.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The start of your glimpses of serenity looking from inside out.

It's yours for the taking.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate. My downstairs neighbour is quite the drunk and has been for as long as I can remember. About a month ago, when it was still quite cold outside, one day the man was sitting in the parking lot of our apartment building, in the dirt next to his car, in his underwear. That's just to describe the extent of his drinking.
What is weird for me, personally, is that although these things happened earlier, too, I never really noticed. Brushed it aside and kept on minding my own business - with a backpack full of beer. I wasn't going to end up like that, I kept saying to myself, 'that dude is crazy, right?'. After I got some sober time, the reality of me being in the same situation became very real, heck - I had come pretty close to something like that during my worst times, so what was to keep it from becoming a routine? Nothing.
I think it is very important in early recovery (or when still just contemplating quitting) to let go of the 'It won't be me' mindset. It goes a long way in helping you stay sober long-term, I think.
I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents
Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kkik5 View Post
I think it is very important in early recovery (or when still just contemplating quitting) to let go of the 'It won't be me' mindset. It goes a long way in helping you stay sober long-term, I think.
Absolutely.
Thanks for a reminder.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There but for Spirit's grace....
Old 05-18-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Really glad you are here Garden Girl.....be proud of yourself for making such an important & great decision for yourself!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

An old, lonely drunk sits in a pub and orders a shot of whiskey. The waitress brings is over to him and the gent comments he wishes he has someone to drink with. Feeling for the man, the waitress points across the bar - to a mirror - well, there's a fellow who will toast ya I'm sure!

The drunk holds up his glass, looks at himself in the mirror across the bar and states - no, I can't drink with him!!! He'll die in his cups for sure, just look at how far gone he is!!

There was a reason I shaved in the shower with no mirror towards the end of my drinking career. I couldn't stand the guy in the mirror - or the "me" I saw outside the windows at times.

My bottom was simply when I decided to quit digging.........didn't need to go down all the way.

Thanks for the post...
Glad you're here!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kkik5 View Post
I can relate. My downstairs neighbour is quite the drunk and has been for as long as I can remember. About a month ago, when it was still quite cold outside, one day the man was sitting in the parking lot of our apartment building, in the dirt next to his car, in his underwear. That's just to describe the extent of his drinking.
What is weird for me, personally, is that although these things happened earlier, too, I never really noticed. Brushed it aside and kept on minding my own business - with a backpack full of beer. I wasn't going to end up like that, I kept saying to myself, 'that dude is crazy, right?'. After I got some sober time, the reality of me being in the same situation became very real, heck - I had come pretty close to something like that during my worst times, so what was to keep it from becoming a routine? Nothing.
It really hits home, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
An old, lonely drunk sits in a pub and orders a shot of whiskey. The waitress brings is over to him and the gent comments he wishes he has someone to drink with. Feeling for the man, the waitress points across the bar - to a mirror - well, there's a fellow who will toast ya I'm sure!

The drunk holds up his glass, looks at himself in the mirror across the bar and states - no, I can't drink with him!!! He'll die in his cups for sure, just look at how far gone he is!!

There was a reason I shaved in the shower with no mirror towards the end of my drinking career. I couldn't stand the guy in the mirror - or the "me" I saw outside the windows at times.

My bottom was simply when I decided to quit digging.........didn't need to go down all the way.

Thanks for the post...
Glad you're here!
I remember the last time I quit, I quit for 2 years. I looked unrecognizable and puffy. I stopped caring... I just didn't love myself. Then 6 months in, I started seeing that pretty lady I once was. I am at that point of not loving my looks again. I don't mean to sound vain... but losing a cute face over booze? No thanks!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
Really glad you are here Garden Girl.....be proud of yourself for making such an important & great decision for yourself!
I am glad I am here too... Its been too long!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I see people from all walks of life in my job and just yesterday I saw a load of guys at the train station. They were all in their 20's and even though it was throwing it down of rain and cold, they were in shorts and tshirts! They had their suitcases and I overheard that they were just back from a stag do abroad. Each had laserations to their faces like they had been fighting and you could smell the booze! One of them goes into the shop (it's 0800 at this stage) and buys alcohol, lots of it in the shape of beers and spirits! They the. Start guzzling it down and bragging how they are going to carry on all week and skip work!
I felt sick just thinking of drinking let alone doing it for another week.
I then walked outside and saw the stations regular homeless guy and he was sipping from vodka. Is there any difference?
The men didn't attract any real attention apart from what they were wearing but the homeless guy had folk avoiding him! Society appears to accept young lads on a stag do, but not the guy outside!
I think one eventually can lead to the other!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post
I see people from all walks of life in my job and just yesterday I saw a load of guys at the train station. They were all in their 20's and even though it was throwing it down of rain and cold, they were in shorts and tshirts! They had their suitcases and I overheard that they were just back from a stag do abroad. Each had laserations to their faces like they had been fighting and you could smell the booze! One of them goes into the shop (it's 0800 at this stage) and buys alcohol, lots of it in the shape of beers and spirits! They the. Start guzzling it down and bragging how they are going to carry on all week and skip work!
I felt sick just thinking of drinking let alone doing it for another week.
I then walked outside and saw the stations regular homeless guy and he was sipping from vodka. Is there any difference?
The men didn't attract any real attention apart from what they were wearing but the homeless guy had folk avoiding him! Society appears to accept young lads on a stag do, but not the guy outside!
I think one eventually can lead to the other!
It makes me sad when I see someone on the streets, that poor homeless guy has been broken by alcohol. The younger kids have no idea what they are even messing with more than likely... Drinking at 8a and skipping work sounds like they are off to a dangerous start for the day though..
Old 05-19-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Too right!