SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi everyone - newbie :-) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/367500-hi-everyone-newbie.html)

Lennox 05-18-2015 07:04 AM

Hi everyone - newbie :-)

I would have never of thought I would have been in recovery for alcohol abuse at the age of 27. How did I get here? So 10th May was my day 1 (still early days) – I have had many of day 1s – usually after a big binge and I have done something horrific. This time however I upset the ones closest to me, my family. The hurt in their voices as I was trembling on the phone apologising for something I can’t actually remember doing. They are passed believing I can do this. I am passed believe I can do this. I have tried various other methods. However I have decided to take a new approach and write everything down and joining this forum and also attending my first AA meeting a week on Thursday!
So my problem in a nutshell started when I was about 13 drinking in the local park with friends – after hanging around the corner shop asking anyone of age to get me a bottle of Lambrini for £2.49 - Oh dear, how classy! So since then it was a downward slope. Starting in the pubs about 18, getting completely hammered on a Friday night and spending the rest of the weekend recovering/apologising/crying. It then developed to what would start on a Friday night and then to get over the terrible “I’m dying” hangover I would carry on drinking through to Sunday night. Of course that was not enough, I then started drinking during the week, red wine mind you which somehow made me feel I was a sophisticated drunk. I tell you now there was nothing sophisticated at 1 in the morning crawling into bed with the usual red crust round my lips, dribbling and generally looking demonic...Horrific! I am cringing even thinking about it.
So I am not going to go into the terrible things I have done when in a binge black as it is very raw for me right now (let’s just say I am shocked that I have not been arrested or worse that I am actually alive) and I cannot deal with the guilt feeling along with everything else I am feeling just yet, I just want to focus on my recovery and where I go from here. I am excited for a sober life ahead of me and can’t wait to start remembering things I enjoy as opposed to drinking. I have managed my first weekend off alcohol and I cannot tell you how great I feel today!
So sorry if I bored you all with my rambling. Be nice to talk to people all going through the same process as me :-)

SoberLeigh 05-18-2015 07:10 AM

Welcome to SR, Lennox, and congratulations on 9 sober days!

Congratulations, too, on choosing to live a sober life - it's not just a better way; it totally rocks.

Lennox 05-18-2015 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 5377438)
Welcome to SR, Lennox, and congratulations on 9 sober days!

Congratulations, too, on choosing to live a sober life - it's not just a better way; it totally rocks.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to the future! I have had moments of struggle but just have to fight through it! Very nervous about the first AA meeting

Ruby2 05-18-2015 08:23 AM

Lennox, welcome to SR and well done on going through the weekend without drinking. That's terrific.

I primarily use SR for support at the moment but AA is also in the mix for face to face contact. Keep going!

Lennox 05-18-2015 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ruby2 (Post 5377508)
Lennox, welcome to SR and well done on going through the weekend without drinking. That's terrific.

I primarily use SR for support at the moment but AA is also in the mix for face to face contact. Keep going!

Thank you Ruby. I do think SR will be my main source of support. I have failed on so many occasions so thinking AA might help. If it doesn't so be it. Will definitely be sticking around here though.

My family have already set me out to fail...hey ho...good job I'm doing this for me eh? ;-)

least 05-18-2015 08:37 AM

Welcome to the family! :) You've come to a great place for support. :)

Lennox 05-18-2015 08:40 AM

Thank you :-)

Lance40 05-18-2015 08:43 AM

Welcome here. You are definitely in the right place, and you're not alone in what you are going through. All of us here will be able to relate to your story. There is hope and help for you. Sobriety is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Best wishes to you. You can do this.

Mysusnshine1 05-18-2015 08:45 AM

Welcome to the form! you will find a lot of support here. Keeping posting for your sobriety!

Lennox 05-18-2015 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lance40 (Post 5377539)
Welcome here. You are definitely in the right place, and you're not alone in what you are going through. All of us here will be able to relate to your story. There is hope and help for you. Sobriety is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Best wishes to you. You can do this.

Thank you so much. Recovery does seem lonely so I am very happy to have found this forum

Lennox 05-18-2015 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mysusnshine1 (Post 5377543)
Welcome to the form! you will find a lot of support here. Keeping posting for your sobriety!

Thanks 😀

PurpleKnight 05-18-2015 10:41 AM

Welcome to the Forum Lennox!! :wave:

Dee74 05-18-2015 03:55 PM

Hi and welcome Lennox- sounds like you're making s great decision :)

D

site1Q84 05-18-2015 04:02 PM

Welcome! I'm 28, so right there with you. At first I thought it was sad I was trying recovery being so young. Now I realize I'm one of the lucky ones getting started early!

I was so freaked out about my first AA meetings, but everyone was so lovely when I got there and I've been doing 2 a week for now. The face to face thing is scary for me (I'm not super social, especially sober!) but it seems to really help.

Keep reading and posting- there TONS of great information and awesome support on here!

Inchworm 05-18-2015 06:51 PM

Welcome, Lennox! You have a new plan and it sounds great. We're here.

Lennox 05-19-2015 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by site1Q84 (Post 5378292)
Welcome! I'm 28, so right there with you. At first I thought it was sad I was trying recovery being so young. Now I realize I'm one of the lucky ones getting started early!

I was so freaked out about my first AA meetings, but everyone was so lovely when I got there and I've been doing 2 a week for now. The face to face thing is scary for me (I'm not super social, especially sober!) but it seems to really help.

Keep reading and posting- there TONS of great information and awesome support on here!

Thank you for your reply. What can I expect from my first meeting? Will I be required to talk? I am so nervous about it....

site1Q84 05-19-2015 08:27 AM

You don't have to talk to anyone if you don't want to. If it's a meeting where they go around and room and everyone has a chance to speak (round robin, they call them) you can just say 'pass' when it gets to you.

Some people will likely come by and introduce themselves. A lot of people have been going to the same meetings for a long time so they notice when there's a newcomer, but they won't make you share or anything, they'll just introduce themselves.
Try to remember that every single person at the meeting you go to was once in your shoes. Everyone had a first meeting at some point!

You can always just sit in the back and observe. Just an FYI, 'open' meetings are for anyone interested in AA, 'closed' meetings are only for people who are trying actively stop drinking

Lennox 05-19-2015 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by site1Q84 (Post 5379281)
You don't have to talk to anyone if you don't want to. If it's a meeting where they go around and room and everyone has a chance to speak (round robin, they call them) you can just say 'pass' when it gets to you.

Some people will likely come by and introduce themselves. A lot of people have been going to the same meetings for a long time so they notice when there's a newcomer, but they won't make you share or anything, they'll just introduce themselves.
Try to remember that every single person at the meeting you go to was once in your shoes. Everyone had a first meeting at some point!

You can always just sit in the back and observe. Just an FYI, 'open' meetings are for anyone interested in AA, 'closed' meetings are only for people who are trying actively stop drinking

Thank you for the info. Glad that I will not have to speak on my first meeting...that takes the pressure off!

Soberwolf 05-19-2015 12:25 PM

Welcome Lennox