SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Facing work in the morning (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/367433-facing-work-morning.html)

boombox 05-17-2015 02:54 PM

Facing work in the morning

Lay in bed worrying about what ridicule I will face in work after my drunken night out. Oh dear god let it be the last time!!!!

least 05-17-2015 02:56 PM

If you just stay sober it will be your last time! :)

Buggirl 05-17-2015 02:57 PM

I have been there so many times, i really feel for you! You can do this!

lillyknitting 05-17-2015 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by boombox (Post 5376462)
Lay in bed worrying about what ridicule I will face in work after my drunken night out. Oh dear god let it be the last time!!!!

You never have to go through this hell again. Just stop! You can do this.

Anna 05-17-2015 03:02 PM

Stay focused on your recovery and you will get through this.

PurpleKnight 05-17-2015 03:08 PM

Been there many a times, the way to prevent it in the future was sorting out my relationship with alcohol!!

In time, even within a week or so things get resigned to history, especially in a work environment!!

Hang in there!! :)

MelindaFlowers 05-17-2015 03:14 PM

Just letting you know that as a non-drinker, life is pretty much drama-free.

Angie247 05-17-2015 03:35 PM

I've been there. It will be ok. Just hang in there. It never has to happen again.

Dee74 05-17-2015 03:36 PM

Great advice here - you can do this boombox :)

D

Hevyn 05-17-2015 03:41 PM

Boom - Oh, how I remember those horrific days. One of the reasons I had to stop all together - I never knew where my 'one' drink would take me. Please let us know how it goes - we're with you.

jt1234 05-17-2015 04:20 PM

I can relate boombox. It's a horrible feeling.

boombox 05-17-2015 11:22 PM

Thanks for the kind messages all. I've got in work early and nobody's in yet. Wrote down all my thoughts of anxiety I'm feeling. I can't wait until this day is over! I want to turn my life around so badly! The negativity I feel is debilitating though!

Weaver 05-18-2015 12:16 AM

Been there! And in my experience despite us telling you "we've been there, it'll be alright!" It Doesn't really help lol. Meaning... I remember people saying that to me... But I was still a nervous wreck to show my face again. It will get better though. Time will pass and it will fade from people's memory.
The important thing is to not let it "fade" from your memory. Certainly move on, but let it be a reminder. You NEVER have to experience that again.
I promise you it's a wonderful feeling.

Do you have any type of "action plan" in place to prevent this from happening again?

Stay strong and stay active here in the forums (-:

boombox 05-18-2015 12:44 AM

My action plan for the immediate future is to keep active on here. Finally got round to downloading the app on my phone so I'm checking it like a madwoman. Going to try some meditation, and maybe yoga. Physical exercise is the main thing that helps me but when I'm so anxious its impossible to motivate myself. Journaling is helping too. However I'm worried about it fading and me reasoning it in a few weeks time as so frequently happens.

lillyknitting 05-18-2015 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by boombox (Post 5377039)
Thanks for the kind messages all. I've got in work early and nobody's in yet. Wrote down all my thoughts of anxiety I'm feeling. I can't wait until this day is over! I want to turn my life around so badly! The negativity I feel is debilitating though!

Just take it one day at a time, without a drink. I promise it will get wonderful x

FreeOwl 05-18-2015 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by boombox (Post 5377060)
My action plan for the immediate future is to keep active on here. Finally got round to downloading the app on my phone so I'm checking it like a madwoman. Going to try some meditation, and maybe yoga. Physical exercise is the main thing that helps me but when I'm so anxious its impossible to motivate myself. Journaling is helping too. However I'm worried about it fading and me reasoning it in a few weeks time as so frequently happens.

I don't think I could have done the early days without AA.

This place helped... But getting active and making real changes and being around others who'd struggles with alcohol was key for me.

Oh man... So many of those work memories...

boombox 05-18-2015 04:02 AM

I feel like everyone is looking at me weirdly, I don't know if it's in my head-because I feel like that about myself I may be projecting it onto other people thinking they're thinking it as well. One person already has just asked me if I remember doing xyz, I want the ground to eat me up.

Mountainmanbob 05-18-2015 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by boombox (Post 5376462)

You remind me of me, for I remember many of those days. Sometimes our worst experience may turn out to be our best experience. Make this your worst and in time you will understand. If, you stay sober.

Best to make a firm decision.

MM

boombox 05-18-2015 04:49 AM

Thanks MM, I really hope this is it. I've booked a doctor's appointment for tomorrow evening too. Whilst I'm not experiencing withdrawal I need to share my worries with someone and be open about it.

Marcher13 05-18-2015 04:58 AM

Boombox, I've been there, I know how you feel. Focus on your work, be pleasant but non-chatting with your colleagues, do your work as well as you can. The day will pass well.