SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   All you can eat & drink corporate sporting event box (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/367393-all-you-can-eat-drink-corporate-sporting-event-box.html)

ChancesAh 05-17-2015 03:47 AM

All you can eat & drink corporate sporting event box

Today I went along to watch the footy in a corporate box. A small serviced room with a balcony on the halfway. A brilliant view and all you can eat or drink. The tickets are $270 each but we got them cheap for $80 each
I didn't drink but the blokes I went with did. I expected it to be a different experience not drinking and it was, but not as I thought.
As I was sober I drove. I picked them up and naturally they were having pre game drinks from 12pm. We got to the Stadium at 2pm for the 4 hours of 'free for all'. They did as I expected - drunk themselves stupid trying to get their monies worth. 3 x 40 year old crap talking dick heads carrying on like children.
What stood out to me were the other 18 people there. Most were drinking but all were more interested in the game and chatting than the drink. After 2 hours I could see many looking at the idiots I was with laughing at, not with them.
I was wondering if I'd have to walk out, which I would have if the desire to drink came but watching how people behave and react to drinking made me realise something. Drinking doesn't make you fit in, it highlights your stupidity and makes a fool of yourself. Like I said most people were enjoying a drink but it was only those I grew up with that 'had to get their fill'. I found myself trying to distance myself from them coming towards the end. 3 x 40 year old (want to men) counting empty cups and arguing about who had drunk the most and who was the girl.
I have to say, it was a great day - and surprisingly going to that game gave me nothing but inspiration to maintain sobriety.

JaneLane 05-17-2015 03:51 AM

This is brilliant news. I'm glad you didn't drink and didn't repeat the same behaviour as your peers. It can be really hard and I went to a family dinner last night where I was one of two sober people. I went to bed grateful of my sobriety and woke up feeling good.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game too!

FreeOwl 05-17-2015 03:55 AM

Well done.

I've had very similar experiences at corporate drink-a-thons in Vegas and other situations where I have learned how wrong my thinking had been for so many years about how 'expected' and 'cool' it was to drink.

You don't need to drink to be a success in business. In fact, it helps if you don't.

PurpleKnight 05-17-2015 10:14 AM

Sober sport watching is fantastic, I used to get drunk and not remember most of the games, whereas now I can remember everything, without the added hangover in the morning!!

Great job Chances!! :scoregood