Notices

How to avoid going to the liquor store

Old 05-17-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
I have realized that if I strive for perfection, I'll just give up because I can't attain perfection. I can come close, though!
I don't think it is an unrealistic goal for anyone to strive for sobriety. And I don't believe that drinking again is inevitable or "part of success". Some people take longer to attain long term sobriety, but that shouldn't prevent you from seeking it. Living a sober life is not "perfection"...life itself is too comlplex to ever be perfect.

But please don't sell yourself short...you can be sober every day if you desire it enough and work hard at it.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
EndGame

I did a SMART goal for stopping drinking. I decided to challenge myself to 30 days, which is totally doable instead of thinking of never drinking again. I used the same thing for fitness goals, and it's working well for me.
You mention walking, yoga and SR in your OP. Have you considered the possibility that you need something more in order to achieve sobriety?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You know, you've started 51 threads in the last five years on this site, and a lot of them sound just like this one.

Do you want to do whatever it takes to stop drinking?
In this post I see an observation, and a question.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have realized that if I strive for perfection, I'll just give up because I can't attain perfection. I can come close, though!
I contemplated moderating or reducing my drinking when I first got here. However, I found that trying to moderate or reduce my drinking was much harder than it is to keep sober.

With my very last drink, which was almost 6 months ago, I came to the realization several hours of drinking was not worth two weeks worth of intense cravings. I saw the danger in trying to moderate/reduce drinking since it is extremely hard to get through those initial cravings. I also saw how easy it is to fall back into that vicious cycle of drinking again. Ultimately, I came to the decision that drinking was not worth it any more for me.

I really do hope you give some consideration to getting completely sober. Sobriety is truly a gift.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

By stating that I am not aiming for perfection, I don't mean I am aiming to moderate. The idea, for me, behind a stretch of 30 days of no alcohol is that it is ATTAINABLE. At that point, I can evaluate the next step. Maybe then I will be able to say, without hesitation, that I won't ever drink again. However, FOR ME, embarking on sobriety with the idea that I will never drink again has not worked (thus far). If I tell myself that I am not drinking for 30 days, it is a set period of time that is completely attainable. The same approach has been helpful in getting back into fitness. I set a goal of running 4 days/week and doing yoga or strength training 2-3 days/week for 30 days with 1 rest day each week. Instead of being overwhelmed by a huge goal with no timeline, I have a very achievable goal. (BTW, I am 3 weeks into my fitness goal, and will revise it next week)

I suspect that, at the end of my 30-day no alcohol period, I will realize drinking alcohol is not worth it.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
You mention walking, yoga and SR in your OP. Have you considered the possibility that you need something more in order to achieve sobriety?
I have many tools, more than just those few things that I mentioned in the OP. The key to success with any goal is to not just know the tools, but to also access them.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sorry Lilac. I guess I misunderstood. I think it's a great idea to go for 30 days. I look forward to hearing more about your journey!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
Sorry Lilac. I guess I misunderstood. I think it's a great idea to go for 30 days. I look forward to hearing more about your journey!
No worries! I will keep you updated...I find the thought of a challenge motivating. Another thing that I have done as part of my get fit again goal is to have a sticky on my laptop with the reasons for wanting to exercise regularly. I am going to do one for not drinking. Seeing my "why" on a regular basis reinforces my new habit of exercising 5-6 days each week. Seeing my "why" for not drinking alcohol will reinforce my decision to not go to the liquor store. Not sure why I never thought of having my "why" in plain view as a constant reminder before.

Now that I think of it...not drinking will make my runs much better, I am sure. And probably accelerate weight loss. Add those to the growing list of WHY I am not going to put alcohol in my body.