Notices

Sleep evades me

Old 05-16-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep evades me

Good morning everyone,

I'm sober 34 days today. Im pleased as all get out w my self. This has got to be a record. But ..... I haven't been able to sleep right 3 nights in a row so now I'm over tired. I took an over the counter sleep product the other night .....did not work. How long does this go on and how have you deat w it. That's my question. Thank you.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Debbie

I think it varies from person to person. Did you ever have trouble sleeping before?

D
Old 05-16-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hmmm ,
A regular bedtime is important , cut back on stimulants like coffee, tea, energy drinks and colas ,
Just have a bed in the bedroom no tv , keep the lights low .

Have a wind down time in the evening before bed , don't watch the news or anything anxiety forming or attention grabbing , action movies thrillers or horror .
some people find a walk or exercise in the day or afternoon useful .

keep a sleep diary , is it possible you nap at other times and get an average of 7-8 hours a night over the week ?

The most important thing to remember is that this is the effect of alcohol still and not the fault of sobriety, if it persists go and see a Dr , drink is not the answer ,
Take care , m
Old 05-16-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're doing great. I had trouble adjusting to sleep early on. It took me quite a while to get a consistent sleep pattern back.

NO matter how I looked at it, however, I would always feel so much better with lack of sleep than being disgustingly hung over, in a fog and generally out of it until I had my next drink.

This is just your body adjusting to the chemical imbalance that it has been used to for some time now.

As other's have said, if you can, see your Dr. They can help with the sleep or there are natural remedies like melatonin; herbal sleep aid. Like Mecanix said, there are little things that can help tremendously; early bed time, avoid caffiene as much as possible, read a book before bed to help get you sleepy, try not to overload your mind just prior to bed time, limit tv prior to bedtime...etc.

Just stay strong. Your sleep patterns will get back to normal with time.

Awesome job on 34 days.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I bought some real chamomile tea from a tea shop and drink a strong cup of it right before bedtime. Then I put a dropper full of liquid valerian in a small amount of water and drink that, too.

That combo works well for me, but checking with your Dr. is important, too.

Hope you get a good night's rest soon; it is a miserable feeling to be overtired from lack of sleep.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone......I find myself drifting off and then I wake up w a start. And That feeling scares me.....it's like something is wrong in my mind is the only way to describe it. Usually don't have problems sleeping. I'm seeing my doctor next Friday......boy is gonna be happy w me. I'll ask him for ambien then but I don't want to depend on it.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep yep I feel like I'm hungover or just got off the red eye from LAto Newark. (I've been on that awful flight and I have never slept). I come off the plane disoriented and exhausted.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Sleepy time tea knocks me out quick if I am having trouble getting to bed and there is nothing bad in it.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been put on self hypnosis video's on you tube.
There are one's with a voice or one's just with sounds to help you sleep.
I put them on my iPad and have it playing next to me while I am asleep.

Search on self hypnosis for sleep/sleep hypnosis etc.

Maybe its worth a try?

I wish you the best xx
Old 05-16-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A Dr sounds like a good idea, took me a while before my sleep pattern levelled out, felt almost jet lagged for a long time!!

Hang in there!!