Notices

AA vs SR

Old 05-15-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I have found the combination of ** and SR effective. ** keeps me accountable with live friends ( that sounds weird) and SR is highly anonymous. I find sharing things I learn on SR in ** and vice versa provides a multicultural diverse platform of support and responses both from a local bias and globally.

For me at this point it's a nice ying - yang balance. At times I lean more heavily on one than another.

Nice to have constructive , sober options!

Glad you're here
Keep coming back !
Old 05-15-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I only use SR. We all need human face to face contact but I have enough in my life in other areas. Do whatever works for you and that you feel good about. Maybe a combination of both so you don't have to leave your kids too much.
But I love SR and it's working just fine for me. I like being home, and I am not isolating.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It wouldn't have been possible for me, partly because of Dees apples and oranges statement, and partly because I had already tried every available option before I came to AA.

But it may be possible for you. The only way to find out is to give it a try.

I certainly understand your issues with time, work and children. These are very important and cannot be neglected. There are those in AA who say you must be at a meeting every night etc etc, but it is not the meetings that will give you lasting sobriety, it is the program.

I sponsored a man a few years back who was in a similar situation to yours. He had two lovely boys in a joint parenting arrangement with a drug addict wife. He was also working, so his life was very full. Initially I was concerned that two meetings a week might be on the low side, but on the other hand he was very willing to work the program. One weekend we sat down with the big book and began the steps. A week later we were through, and working on step nine. The guy changed right before my eyes. Today he is one of the best examples of AA sobriety I know, accepted and loved in his community, involved in the childrens school, and he does a lot of useful stuff for others outside of AA.

So while I don't think there is anything wrong with using SR instead of at least some meetings, I would suggest that finding a sponsor who will help you through the steps without an onerous requirement to attend meetings might be helpful too. We recover by the steps we take, not the meetings we make.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me its both.......AA for meeting people face to face who have similar problems as I do. I never got into the whole 12 steps or getting a sponsor part, I simply attend, listen and share when I have something to say.

SR has been a great help and an amazing find, everyone here is helpful and responsive and its also a place I can access any time and any where so there is no restriction of time etc.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Very interesting to see how you all work your program of sobriety/ recovery! I guess it's not as black and white for some folks cause everyone is different.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You've probably figured outby now that there's no "one size fits all" in terms of recovery methods or support groups for everyone.

SR is all I use and that has worked well for me. As long as you are truly working a plan with 100% commitment and determination, it will work.

The bottom line goal is don't drink today. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

How ever you get there, that depends on individual motivational factors, personal preferences, comfort zones, etc.

You'll find your path. use what ever support group(s) that give you the best opportunity to not drink today.

Best of luck!
Old 05-16-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Gottalife. It's not the meetings it's the program and what you do with it in your life outside of the rooms.

I really struggled with whether to "do AA" or not at first for many of the same reasons you mentioned. I saw "doing AA" as going to a lot of meetings, conventions, etc... I got a good sponsor and worked the steps. I try to work the program as best I can outside the rooms. That is what "doing AA" really is and it isn't a burden or difficult. I go to two really good meetings (there are good and bad) a week now and check in here daily. I've found that I really look forward to the meetings as a place to get away from the hectic life and stresses that go with it. They help keep me grounded and keep my program on track. They were also there for me when life was at it's lowest and I didn't have any hope that things could change. Hopefully by continuing to go and share that message of hope I can pay it forward to the still suffering (12th step).

Whatever you choose I think the biggest issue is keeping at it and not forgetting where you came from. Also not forgetting that a single drink could take you back there. I also firmly believe that there is sobriety and there is recovery. We have to have recovery.

Best wishes.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sg1970 View Post
I have to agree with Gottalife. It's not the meetings it's the program and what you do with it in your life outside of the rooms.

I try to work the program as best I can outside the rooms. That is what "doing AA" really is and it isn't a burden or difficult. I go to two really good meetings (there are good and bad) a week now and check in here daily. I've found that I really look forward to the meetings as a place to get away from the hectic life and stresses that go with it. Hopefully by continuing to go and share that message of hope I can pay it forward to the still suffering (12th step).

Whatever you choose I think the biggest issue is keeping at it and not forgetting where you came from. Also not forgetting that a single drink could take you back there. I also firmly believe that there is sobriety and there is recovery. We have to have recovery.

Best wishes.

Hi.
After a lot of sober years I still go to 3-5 meetings a week for several reasons. First is to personally associate in the flesh with other alcoholics experience, strengths and hope. Part of the program that’s very important is to stay sober and help another alcoholic, we never know when we say something while sharing how important it might be to someone. Hearing the pain in someone’s voice is a reminder of where I came from and can easily go back to.

And far from last is it’s so easy for most alcoholics to isolate and that’s very dangerous for us.

SR for me is perhaps help someone still struggling and is also a great remember when for me to walk the talk.

BE WELL
Old 05-16-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It depends what works, everyone is different and find different methods more useful.

Trying both and seeing what works might be a way forward!!