SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   new here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/367257-new-here.html)

PipingPlover 05-15-2015 08:02 AM

new here

I am newly sober (a few days) and newly unemployed through no fault of my own, and at home and needing to reinvent my life. One big thing is recovery, staying busy, positive and sober. I had a bad day the day they let me go, but since then I don't want to be sick, itchy, shaky and a big fat liar.
I want to use this time this gap to focus on myself, to regain steady ground, to clean, garden and just take a breath. I have a plan, RR, AVRT, I have a psychiatrist and anti depressants, she's recommended practicing mindfulness which I am trying to do. I have lurked and learned, so yesterday I was able to sit in the parking lot of the store, cash in hand and talk/think my way out of another binge day.
I want to walk on the beach, swim every day this summer, revitalize some hobbies, lose weight,
and make some friends (not easy for a middle aged woman). :Thank you for listening.

buk1000 05-15-2015 08:06 AM

Welcome piping. You will find friends here.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place.

gettingsmarter 05-15-2015 08:13 AM

Welcome Piping! Glad to have you here.

least 05-15-2015 08:13 AM

Welcome to the family. :) You'll find lots of support here. :)

ScottFromWI 05-15-2015 08:16 AM

Welcome to SR PipingPlover, and congratulations on your decision to get sober and live a better life. It sounds as though you have taken a lot of positives steps and have a good list of things to help you on your journey. Lots of support and understanding can be found here on SR too, don't be a stranger!

Anna 05-15-2015 08:16 AM

Welcome, and it sounds like you have a good plan in place.

Practising Mindfulness is something I strive for. It's a great tool for living a good life.

VirginiaWoof 05-15-2015 08:42 AM

Welcome to SR. x

SoberLeigh 05-15-2015 08:46 AM

Welcome to SR, PipingPlover. You have a great plan in place already - very impressive!!!!

Glad you found us.

fini 05-15-2015 08:49 AM

welcome, PP.
your plan sounds doable if you follow it.
i'm, gasp, at the upper end of middle age and yeah, making new friwnds is a bit of a challenge.
but okay.
not insurmountable.

good to see you here.

Fly N Buy 05-15-2015 08:58 AM

Welcome!
You're post kind of relaxed me for some reason. There's a zen quality to it :)
Steady ground, clean, garden, breath - swim / salt water......
Can I come to your house for the summer????? Lol.......

I'd love to hear more about mindfulness as your journey progresses. I meditate and attempt to just take things as they come, being present in the moment. I'm sure there much more to it as with any discipline, but that my basic understanding..........

Glad you're here with us!

PipingPlover 05-15-2015 09:55 AM

Thank you for your nice welcomes and replies. Zen, I am trying to get there. I have only felt this surrendered once before and and it all worked out. I am just glad I have lurked here long enough to surf the urge yesterday, a much better day as a result today. yes, come to the beach for the summer! Remember when you were little the whole summer seemed vast and full of promise. I am trying to approach being jobless like that. I need new friends that don't spend nights on the porch drinking wine and rehashing old hurts. Today is a sober day, the hard days will be the days my AV comes around...........

Fly N Buy 05-15-2015 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by PipingPlover (Post 5372756)
Remember when you were little the whole summer seemed vast and full of promise.........

I certainly do.......made me think of a lightening bug catcher we would fill with firefly's in the summer. We would play outside till dark and hear those faint calls of P's - Time to come in!!!!

Rich, thick memories.

I have found the longer I gain in sobriety the more I am able to recapture old memories from many years back.

Vast and promise - nice prose. As if summer had a size - a grandeur to it. A season could deliver to us anything..........

It really is so very like sobriety. Last summer was indeed vast with promise - my first sober summer in many, many years. I will cherish it always.

Glad you're here with us..... :)

Cauliflower 05-15-2015 01:32 PM

Welcome! I am close to a beach as well and I love it. This summer will be fantastic, my first sober summer in years! My kids will definitely benefit as we will be out and about more often. No more bad hangovers on warm sunny days!

Soberwolf 05-15-2015 02:49 PM

Welcome Pipingplova

PurpleKnight 05-15-2015 03:05 PM

Welcome to the Forum PipingPlover!! :wave:

LiberatedStorm 05-15-2015 03:13 PM

Hi Piping. Welcome aboard. Glad you are here. You'll get tons of support from SR.

Dee74 05-15-2015 03:31 PM

Welcome aboard PP :)

D

Yazzylove 05-15-2015 03:47 PM

Welcome Home!! Love this place!! You'll find the support you need here!!

Hevyn 05-15-2015 04:06 PM

Good to meet you Piping! I know just how you feel - I remember those early days well. Your life is about to get so much better. :) I love your attitude.