Notices

How is it alcohol is not illegal?

Old 05-15-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How is it alcohol is not illegal?

But thank the high heavens we made large soft drinks illegal in New York.

Phew, narrowly avoided a catastrophe with that one.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

MONEY, there's your answer.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Because most people don't have a problem with it. It's just us alkies that do. Most people drink responsibly. Anyway, they tried that (prohibition) and it was a miserable failure.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
Big $$$$$ = big time lobbies. Forget the deaths and maimings per year.

BE WELL
Old 05-15-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are people who want to make all drugs legal...just as alcohol is legal.

Just as with drugs, I don't think making alcohol illegal will fix the problem. Reading about the U.S. period of Prohibition rather convinced me of that.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Because most people don't have a problem with it. It's just us alkies that do. Most people drink responsibly. Anyway, they tried that (prohibition) and it was a miserable failure.
actually- I believe that a lot of 'normal' people also have a problem with it.... I think many people who aren't alcoholics also throw away a lot of life pouring booze down their gullets.

I see a LOT of folks we wouldn't consider alcoholic who still blot out emotions, gain weight, drink instead of exercise, use alcohol as a crutch.... I think beyond alcoholism, alcohol itself is a huge social and human problem.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought the Soda Law faltered in the courts, didn't it?

If a soda law has trouble being enacted, imagine how much more difficult it would be to legislate and enact laws against alcohol nowadays?

Like a number of people have noted history shows us prohibition just makes the problem worse.

D
Old 05-15-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes Dee, the courts struck sown the soda ban so the sugar buzz is still on!!!!!

Oh, actually I haven't had any sodas in years either.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Free your mind

Prohibition was a nightmare and alcohol still got to speakeasies and homes across the country.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol has been around for at least 5000 years. It has become so ingrained in our culture you could never ban it.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Alcohol and Marijuana being illegal is not the answer all it does and would do is create an illegal market and crime.

It would be good for business if you were in the job of building jails though.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That soda ban was ridiculous. All a person would have to do is buy 2 smaller sodas instead. DUH
Old 05-15-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

I organized a boycott, but I don't recruit, I dont think it would do Me any good.
Singular Boycotters Unite! (Or not ,just boycott )
Old 05-15-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Last time I checked, meth, cocaine, heroin, LSD, exctasy, PCP, opium, and a long list of other drugs are illegal. Same for non-prescription use of benzos, painkillers and a whole assortment of other prescription drugs. Millions and millions of people are still addicted to them as well.

Bottom line, it doesn't really matter if any substance is legal or illegal -people will find ways to abuse it. Even if you stop manufacturing it people will make it themselves. Addiction is the problem, not the substance. Using the legality of alcohol as blame is simply another excuse to drink.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's not just money. There is a long cultural history intertwined with alcohol. There is a book on this called "Drink" which has a detailed history of alcohol and society going back to the prehistory archaeological record. Do not read this book if you are in recovery. It definately romanticizes alcohol.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
actually- I believe that a lot of 'normal' people also have a problem with it.... I think many people who aren't alcoholics also throw away a lot of life pouring booze down their gullets.

I see a LOT of folks we wouldn't consider alcoholic who still blot out emotions, gain weight, drink instead of exercise, use alcohol as a crutch.... I think beyond alcoholism, alcohol itself is a huge social and human problem.
Aye, I'm with you there. I also know quite a few people who we WOULD consider alcoholics, but don't consider themselves one. Either that, or they're quite proud and happy to be an alcoholic, and believe putting back a couple bottles of rum in one night is something worth bragging about. And when you blackout? That's definitely worth posting on Facebook the next morning.

The good ole oil patch bubble. It's quite the place to live in. (that was sarcastic too -- there's a reason I'm 12,000kms away).
Old 05-15-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BadSneakers View Post
Prohibition was a nightmare and alcohol still got to speakeasies and homes across the country.
The growth of the illegal liquor trade under Prohibition made criminals of millions of Americans. As the decade progressed, court rooms and jails overflowed, and the legal system failed to keep up. Many defendants in prohibition cases waited over a year to be brought to trial. As the backlog of cases increased, the judicial system turned to the "plea bargain" to clear hundreds of cases at a time, making a it common practice in American jurisprudence for the first time.

The greatest unintended consequence of Prohibition however, was the plainest to see. For over a decade, the law that was meant to foster temperance instead fostered intemperance and excess. The solution the United States had devised to address the problem of alcohol abuse had instead made the problem even worse. The statistics of the period are notoriously unreliable, but it is very clear that in many parts of the United States more people were drinking, and people were drinking more.

There were also many,many deaths and serious health problems created by bathtub gin and moonshine.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Making alcohol legal actually makes it harder for minors to get. Rigt, you have to get a fake i.d., shoulder tap, steal, whatever. I know people who have theories about why na is growing while aa is supposedly declining. Drugs are easier for minor to get nowadays. Like everyone said there r lots of reasons why alcohol is legal but it is strange isn't it? I mean, either everything should be legal or nothing should. bt I like someone's point that most ppl dont abuse it. My therapist told me recently, that under 15% of ppl are responsible for the majority of booze sales in our nation. Meaning the other 85% barely touch it ( I'm not sure if that's true or not or if that takes Into account sales of liquor by restaurants or bars or things like that but it makes sense when u look at our population numbers and the numbers of alkies in the states
Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Haha Troy. This made me laugh.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think the funniest thing is that people think if it were outlawed, our problems would be solved... Something tells me if we wanted it, we would get it anyhow! Maybe it is all of those addicts in prison who really just felt risking prison time was worth the high. .. After all, they prob wont get caught. I have wanted that high bad enough!