Notices

Isn't it such a pleasure ?

Old 05-14-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh I used to look at my eyes all the time. Or the stomach pains where I was convinced my liver was giving out
Old 05-14-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Booyah AO ! Keep marching ever onwards, resolute and strong ! Onya !
Old 05-14-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good post, AO.

I hope this is one our newcomers will take to heart. When people are new to sobriety, or trying to get there, we see occasional posters mourning the absence of alcohol and its role in socializing. (Or not socializing. ...)

This thread accurately completes the picture. To it, I'll add I don't miss the red, splotchy skin. Or morning nausea. Or seeing how much of my checking account went to the stores.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes. EVERY day at work I have my "oh my god. I'm not hungover....." moment. Had one today. I was always so scared people would notice because my face looked terrible. On my costco card they took the picture when I was massively hungover (like I was every day of the week) and my eyes are tiny slits and the smile looks like someone in physical pain. It's obviously a hungover alcoholic even in the grainy, tiny, black and white picture. I was in my 20's then too. Jesus.

Looked at the whites of my eyes every day, checking for yellow too. Examined my urine daily too.....and the other type of potty. I was an insane hypochondriac every day.

I was scared of fainting at work because then I'd maybe get hospitalized and find out what sort of shape my body was really in.

My hands would shake when I'd use scissors at work. Sometimes I would drop the pen as I was writing.

The time my hands shook noticeably was in airport security when you have to out your hands above your head in a diamond shape in that full body scanner.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Way to go, AO. I love your encouraging posts.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
It is amazing how much better we feel when we stop poisoning ourselves. I never knew how bad I felt until I didn't
Love it!
Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I hear you! Some mornings when I wake up now, I may feel a little anxious or have something I'm not looking forward to...however, I think back to when I was being jolted awake while coming down from a drunk bender only to spend several sleepless, torturous days with a racing head, severe depression and wondering if this was the detox that I would finally have a seizure!
Old 05-15-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, silly - we played a very dangerous game. So glad to be free of it.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great thread. I thought of it today when I walked into work and though "oh my god. I'm not hungover." ten months in and still not totally used to it. It still feels like a new way of living.

So this is why everyone else always seemed so freakin' happy all the time. Who would have thought?
Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes.

When I was drinking, I swear my urine had pure booze in it sometimes because I was still so drunk and hungover at the same time in the morning. Ugh. Nasty.

I also scrutinized the whites of my eyes. Well, they were supposed to be white, but they were always bloodshot as heck, puffy and who knows what dirty shade of not-white.

Now my eyes are so white that they've got that whiter than white blue tint to them! They look incredibly white and healthy, which is good, because that's exactly how I feel now that I no longer poison myself.