Notices

Stay Sober with us this weekend! May 15th until...

Old 05-14-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

You can "water " down the sweetness with carbonated water if you like less sweet... It's one of my fav drinks too ... Way high in sugar though for my figure
Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cursed00 View Post
You can "water " down the sweetness with carbonated water if you like less sweet... It's one of my fav drinks too ... Way high in sugar though for my figure
Yeah, that's what I originally did the first time I tasted it, as I do with most sugary drinks. But then it loses the spicy kick. I didn't even realize it had that kick till I tied it without adding anything today...
Old 05-14-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nymets86 View Post
Will be a challenge as I'll be out of town all weekend at my brother's bachelor party.
Have a plan, have a plan, have a plan! If you must go, be very well prepared and determined not to allow anything alcoholic to touch your lips. Always have a non-alcoholic drink in your hands. And have a back-out plan.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

melki, I LOVE ginger beer. Totally forgot about it though!

I like the one you posted, reeds, and Bundaberg is my favorite, but I have a really hard time finding it in the states...

Careful though, I think there are a few brands that are alcoholic!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
melki, I LOVE ginger beer. Totally forgot about it though!

I like the one you posted, reeds, and Bundaberg is my favorite, but I have a really hard time finding it in the states...

Careful though, I think there are a few brands that are alcoholic!
There you go!
http://www.amazon.com/Bundaberg-Ging.../dp/B001JK4SNA

Thanks for the recommendation and the warning. I always pay attention to the labels.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Amazon! Why on earth didn't I think of that? I buy everything else from there...

Thanks melki!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
Amazon! Why on earth didn't I think of that? I buy everything else from there...

Thanks melki!
Thank YOU! I just ordered it too.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
Have a plan, have a plan, have a plan! If you must go, be very well prepared and determined not to allow anything alcoholic to touch your lips. Always have a non-alcoholic drink in your hands. And have a back-out plan.
Yeah, I have a plan in place. While I suppose I could back out, it would be weird to miss my brother's bachelor party.

My plan now is to participate in the dinner's planned both nights, but head back to the hotel shortly thereafter. I've already let my brother know I'm not going to be drinking and I don't really know his friends all that well, so I can't see them being offended or anything if I head back early or turn down a drink.

Saturday is going to be a beach day and I'm planning to do some sightseeing on my own, then maybe join them at the beach later in the day when drinking has commenced and my not drinking will be less noticed.

I'm feeling very confident right now. Trying not to let it become overconfidence. I think it would be a lot worse if I were headed out of town for a close friends bachelor party, but on this one, if I'm just sort of the weird younger brother who tagged along and didn't drink, I can live with that. Better than the crazy drunken little brother that ruined the evening by getting so drunk someone had to put him in a cab back to the hotel.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

nymets86, you'll be surprised how little people care if you don't drink. Plenty people don't.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I am soooooo in!!! Thank you, SR and everyone here for the support.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I'm in. I'm home this weekend and it's supposed to be nice. I need to take some time for myself and maybe go for a hike.

I have kid activities on Saturday but Sunday might be a nice day for some time in the woods.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cursed00 View Post
Way high in sugar though for my figure
Knowing myself, as soon as I had an empty green glass bottle in my hands I'd reach for another. Yipes, I reckon I'd drink 6 of those things a night! The good thing about drinking seltzer with lime is that I can have as many as I want, and get virtually zero calories. I still have that darn habit of filling up a new glass when it's empty, but at least it's just agua. But sometimes calories don't matter that much, in the big picture. Whatever works to keep you all sober, I'm all for it! As long as we all stay sober this weekend, we can do anything!

Busy as heck the past couple of days. Was so tired I took a nap after work and slept from 3.30pm-5pm. Then had coffee. Probably not the best idea! Looks like it will be a bit of a later night for me than usual, but without alcohol to deal with, I'll be fine.

Booked a flight back to the States in early July. It's been one year since I've been back in the country and there's a big family deal going on that week that I've decided to attend. Makes me anxious just thinking about it, but I know I'll be okay. I just need to relax and stop searching for reasons to worry - because there are none. Beautiful weather here the past few days...even in this part of the world, some days stand out as more perfect than others. Glad to be present for this one.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Knowing myself, as soon as I had an empty green glass bottle in my hands I'd reach for another. Yipes, I reckon I'd drink 6 of those things a night! The good thing about drinking seltzer with lime is that I can have as many as I want, and get virtually zero calories. I still have that darn habit of filling up a new glass when it's empty, but at least it's just agua. But sometimes calories don't matter that much, in the big picture. Whatever works to keep you all sober, I'm all for it! As long as we all stay sober this weekend, we can do anything!
Luckily, I have zero desire to drink 6 of those a night. I reserve sugary drinks likes sodas & root beer for celebrations or just an occasional pick me up. And even then, I usually split one bottle with two kids. For everyday drinking, it's seltzer for me too.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

1/4 cranberry to club soda is very refreshing. I love it.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone! Ginger does have kick to it but I forget that.

I met my parents and my children at opening night for a local minor league baseball team. It was fun but so not crowded. Team lost. There were fireworks after which were awesome. Kids stayed up too late. And as I sat there my nose decided to work and I smelled beer. Kind of stinky, honestly. I had my diet Coke.

Kids in bed too late for a six a.m. wakeup call. Ah well.

Tetra, have fun at the wedding. And at your grandmother's birthday. Ninety is awesome and it sounds like your gran is in reasonably good health. I do recall when she was in hospital and I'm glad she's out and with you to celebrate. Love her quote! Not enough time to indulge.

I'm off for ice cream and then bed.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Welp ~

Thanks for the B Day Congrats! Love it! TY. Buncha good Stories & Pix going on in this smokin' Thread.

Had a nice Dinner out tonight at a new Brewpub that specializes in Chicken. The Food really over-shadows the Booze, so it's not an unpleasant Venue. The Blue Plate Special was Prime Rib. Having Prime Rib about never, we all went for it. AND, I got a free Whoopie Pie for B Day. Free Dessert = good. I hit the Ginger Beer, due to free Refills. My favorite Store version is '[C]ock N Bull'. *Had to beat the C Word Filter, there. They also have a Diet version I've not tried.

When I ducked out to the Can, the other 3 decided to carry on, and hit someplace else for a Drink. While I wasn't thrilled at this development, I decided to roll with it. It all collapsed when the other Gal called from their SUV, and decided to cancel out. It would have been a non-issue at this point Trigger-wise, but it would have been a mild aggravation I don't need right now.

After running around excitedly while carrying my Slip-on Shoe upon our return, the Pooch settled into to his usual, Stress-free position.

-
Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Aww, MM! What a cute picture. BigS, awesome bird shot!

Brain, thanks for the song. Perfect for the evening here. No arks being built but it was dripping earlier.

Cherry Garcia hitting the spot. Children sleeping. Cats fed. Fish are next. Then bed.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Friday morning here in UK and the weekend is in sight (OK so I still have to go to work).

Glad you enjoyed your birthday Mesa Man, with free dessert what could be better. Your pooch looks the very definition of relaxed lol!

Grey and overcast here but an improvement on yesterday

Good luck on your brothers BP Nymet.
Welcome to the weekend thread Cursed00
Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Damn. Just realised I have (another) dental appt this morning
Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Belated happy birthday Mr MM. Sun is splitting out of the sky this side of the sea Mr Sao.

Got a goods night sleep. Feel rested. Mrs B was unwell last weekend and this week. Had to go for emergency scan. Everything looking good. Feel anxious and powerless. The reality of becoming a father has been slapping me upside the kisser all week.

I'm grateful for sobriety now. Alcohol would be toxic in this situation.

B