Notices

The Change Needed

Old 05-13-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Change Needed

So, I have been drinking for quite a few years now and I feel that it is time for change. The main reason I wanna cool it with the drinking is because of my health. After sharing news about my drinking with my doctor, she ran some blood tests on me, with an emphasis on my liver. And I came out with a clean bill of health. But I do not wanna push my luck on that front. Since I've been drinking straight vodka for some time now , I'm not completely convinced my liver is in good shape. So she's gonna run a scan on my upper abdomen in the next few weeks, just to make sure and put me at complete ease.

Not too long ago I was referred to a therapist and have been going to my scheduled meetings judiciously. I've been going to my meetings and all, but after noticing my meetings becoming redundant. I expressed my wish to my therapist that I needed something to change because our talks seemed to be going in circles. She pointed out the overall theme in my lamentations was my drinking. Wheter it was stuff in my professional life, my social life (or lack of), my family life, it seemed that every thing takes a back seat to my drinking. So, before my next meeting I was given as hw to attend one AA meeting. That's it. Just go into one of them.

I was wanting to go to a meeting at the end of last year cuz I do realize I have a problem, but I procrastinated long enough that I had forgotten about it. But, tomorrow I actually plan on going to my first meeting that is pretty close to my home. I thought I could stop drinking excessively by just not drinking, but the truth is it just overtakes everything that I thought were important.

Could anyone give me some insight on what to expect? I just get weirded out by strangers being critical of me, and my shortcomings. This is the main reason I hold back on ever going to an AA meeting.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Chgo! You have come to the right place!

Well AA isn't for everybody and from what I gather not everybody on here goes to AA meetings and still remain sober.. I'll let those that have gone that route chime in!

I personally go to AA myself! Yeah it's weird to be there among strangers not because of the people but because we are not comfortable with ourselves! I honestly believe that every single person that walked into the 'rooms' of AA felt exactly how you felt! I know I did! And still do at times!

But just knowing that we are all a group of drunks wanting to better ourselves is comforting! Just listen to people for awhile! Trust me you'll start seeing yourself and start identifying with this group of strangers the more you go
Old 05-13-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back ChgoReason

I personally have no experience of AA myself....but I know enough to know it's not like on TV where everyone sits in a circle, you have to give your whole life story and then everyone in the room takes it (and you) apart piece by piece

Its a place of support and help, just like this place

D
Old 05-14-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I spent years doing therapy but still drinking... I seemed to make little strides here and there but like you, a lot of it just seemed to go in circles.

When I finally stopped drinking, therapy became far more useful.

AA intimidated me years ago and I rejected it. I wish is embraced it sooner. There is power in being with other real people face to face who share our struggles with addiction.

Try to be open to that power. There will be things you're not comfortable with. Try to just set those things to the side enough to ask yourself 'in what ways am I similar to the people I see here? In what ways might this program and these people help me? In what ways might I be helpful in this group'

If you do these things and take this approach, AA will be a positive recovery tool for you.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I attend AA meetings and really like them. You don't have to share unless you want to. I have a couple of meetings that I go to regularly and they're small so we generally sit in a circle, have a topic to focus on then people can share. Oh and there's coffee :-)
It's a really supportive place and since you'll be new, it's likely that you will have a lot of people giving you their phone numbers and talking to you after the meeting!
Old 05-14-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.

Obviously we’re all different and with alcohol still in our system our thinking is guided by the alcohol.
I too was afraid of my heavy drinking, made a call and went to my first meeting long before the word internet was invented. Once inside the meeting, having no idea what to expect, I felt I was home because I was not alone anymore.

After a period I plugged the jug after asking for help to stop drinking because my undisciplined way wasn’t working.

By some miracle one meeting may be just enough of what you need to hear. I would say the suggested 90 meetings in 90 days would give you a better shot of recovery with continued work. As they used to say if after 90 meetings you don’t like it “there’s the door, your misery is refundable.”

BE WELL
Old 05-14-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

CR - good for you and making attempts at a better life, one without the bondage of alcohol. If you can make it through the first few months you'll start to really see the light!

I have been attended AA for about a year at this point. If anything, the only one critical of ourselves is us!

AA gives a tools to look inward at they why's of our drinking. The program of AA is the Big Book's steps. By engaging in step work we find a solution that is not based on our own self will.

Anyway, I find AA to highly beneficial and not judgmental. That stated, people are people and occasionally I run across someone that I simply cannot listen to for very long. Here there's an ignore button - in the rooms we have feet

Trying some different meetings - groups are different.
Keep coming back!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Chgo, I'm in Chicago too. There are tons of meetings here. Thousands. You can find one to suit your needs.

I attend AA meetings. I've never had the experience of people picking on someone's shortcomings. It's not therapy. It's getting together to discuss topics. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to but I encourage you to do so if you continue and feel comfortable.

Good job on going. I'd suggest getting there a little early. Sometimes at a meeting with a new person, people share what brought them to AA. It could feel like the focus is on you but it will only ever be your first meeting once.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back ChgoReason!!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I don't go to AA now, but used to, and was never forced to share anything and never 'picked on' by anyone there.