Notices

This is day 1 for me.....

Old 05-13-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is day 1 for me.....

Hello....I have been on this site for two weeks reading posts...and finally decided to join just now. I have been drinking heavy for about 15 years I lost my last husband to suicide 5 years ago next week and since then have drank about 2 -3 bottles of wine every single day.... I went to the doctor last summer and he wanted me to commit myself to a rehab center. I didn't want to. So he arranged for me to see a therapist....I did that for about a month....I did quit for 2 months...but of course started right back up. I would hide my bottles of wine in a bedroom and lie about my drinking of course. I found if I sipped apple cider vinegar it would hide my breath from my now husband. I have been trying to quit since January of this year and each day I would tell my self....this is the last day....nope! But today is....I have to quit...I am so tired of being bloated, red eyes, red puffy face and body, bowel problems, pain in the upper stomach area, cloudy head, etc...etc...etc....I am tired of waking up the next morning....of which I would feel normal....not look normal....and look around the house and would see things like the dishes washed etc.....and I don't remember doing them...things like that. Looking back and trying to remember what I use to be like before drinking....I was a health freak...loved the gym...etc...use to compete in light weight body building....I looked great and want to look and feel great again and get my life back. I am 49 years old and 5'3" I know weight 137....very very heavy for me.....I am going to do this...and this forum has inspired me so much these last two weeks....that I know I can do this......thanks for reading...wish me luck....
Old 05-13-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome Samdebam!

Glad you're here with us - sobriety is there for those who truly desire change, have accepted their circumstances and are ready to take action.

Quitting drinking can help one feel great on the inside and look better on the outside!

keep coming back
Old 05-13-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Getting sober is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome samdebam. Glad you're here.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Sam!

I like you was a 2 bottle of wine most night drinker! I was soo tired of this never ending battle with myself! I got off that train 37 days ago and while not always peachy, I do feel a lot better!

Best part no hang overs, no hiding in my closet and lying to my kids about wether I had been drinking, no feeling sorry for myself, no suicidal thoughts.. The list goes on and on!

You can actually do this! sobriety is not something that is out there, out of reach... It's within you to want to stop and stay stopped!

We are here for you!
Old 05-13-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome samdebam!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Samdebam!!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sam, and I'm glad you decided to post. You've made a good decision.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi samdebam. You are making an excellent decision about quitting. Also an excellent decision to get involved here at SR. Welcome aboard!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Samdebam. Glad to see you here, but very sorry for your loss.

I was a quite the daily wine drinker myself. I'm also a bodybuilder and understand the gym freak lifestyle .
Old 05-13-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome....

It sure sounds like you're ready to re-discover and re-invent your life based on the person you know inside that you are!!!

Congratulations, I'm really happy for you!!

It's scary and it can be really hard at first, but it really is a far better life - this sober life.

Sounds to me like you've got some really positive images you could draw upon for inspiration. Being healthy and active and fit are fantastic images to focus on in recovery.

It'll take action, and you'll need to support yourself with a plan and with community - but you can do this!!

#soberliferocks
Old 05-13-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family, Sam. I am glad you are here with us. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.

We are here to help.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Sam, good to have you here.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome from me too samdebam

I'm sorry for your loss and what brings you here, but I'm really glad you decided to post too

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too

D
Old 05-13-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey samdebam, I was thinking of nominating you for cool name of the month. But you need at least ten posts I think.
I'm sorry to hear of the hardships you have endured and your struggle with the bottle. I'd like to wish you luck but I won't. I do wish you success though. Depending on luck to get through this hasn't worked for anyone as far as I know. It's going to take some effort on your part. The first thing you must do is to make the decision to quit. And I don't mean just saying it. In order to succeed you have to want to stop more than you want to drink.

Admitting and accepting that we have a problem that can only be fixed by quitting drinking is the biggest hurdle for many.
But once you embrace that idea and believe it, staying sober becomes a mere formality.

You have to want it. And if you want it bad enough you will come out on top. Luck has nothing to do with it.

And sooner than you know it, you'll be back to your training weight.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Going on Day 2

Wow....I was so excited to read all your wonderful and encouraging post. I made Day 1 with a breeze.....lol....of course I thought about it....but I have it in my mind and I am excited and determined to over come this stupid and destructive addiction. I will continue to post my progress as I think I need to for the healing process... and to continue to read your post and others....it is so encouraging and to know that I am not alone.

So....yesterday this is what I focused on:

I wrote out my list of goals...short and long term.

How I want to feel and look.

I wrote down all the things about alcohol I hated, not just the physical effects but life in general and how it not only effected me but those I love.

I posted pictures around the house of myself before I started drinking when I was in shape and healthy as my incentive.

I goggled vitamins for recovering alcoholics and went and bought those.

I am dedicated to eating healthy again...5-6 small meals every day.

Ok....I guess that is enough for now.....I know I hate the detox part as I have been thru this before...and I know it will pass.....I just remind myself.....baby steps...baby steps......

Thank you all again for your encouraging support.....
Old 05-14-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go!!

Welcome to day TWO, soberrocker!!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck samdebam--
I lost 40 pounds by joining a gym and eating paleo right after I quit drinking.

It was nice to go from a size 12-7 for sure

You can do it
Old 05-14-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome samdebam. We are all here for you and good luck. I am starting day 4 today!
Old 05-14-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

sounds like you're off to a great start sam...

do not be discouraged if sobriety is not an overnight sensation, it takes a little time to notice changes