Notices

What does it feel like?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does it feel like?

What does is feel like to wake up in the morning with no hangover, no anxiety, no panic, no guilt, no fear?

What does it feel like to wake up to a body ready to breeze through the day with strength and confidence?

What does it feel like not to wake up in pain?

If you are sober, and have been for a really long time, PLEASE PLEASE dont give in the drink ever. Take it from someone living the nightmare right now. This isn't fun or productive at all. I am in constant pain nowadays either with a hangover, a panic attack, anxiety, or muscle pain due to me caring more about what goes in my face rather than how to cherish the only body I get in this life.

I binge drank on Sunday. It is now tuesday night. My sides hurt, my head is in a fog, my anxiety is a 8/10, I had 2 panic attacks in the past 2 days.

I am worried about so much in life that I am forgetting what it means to just live it.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Scared. Just take it one day at a time. Deep breaths. Baby steps. You can do this. It will get better I promise.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Scared1234 View Post
What does is feel like to wake up in the morning with no hangover, no anxiety, no panic, no guilt, no fear?

What does it feel like to wake up to a body ready to breeze through the day with strength and confidence?

That's where my forum name came from. It's the best feeling, like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders, and I'm not just talking about the physical symptoms.

Now may I ask why you can't take your own advice? I mean that as a real question. Is it the anxiety? There are very effective treatments for anxiety. My nephew tried to suicide twice because of anxiety, but got good treatment and ongoing programs and is now happy and productive. Does he still feel anxious? I'm sure he does, but the level is something he can cope with.

That lovely scenario you painted can be you; the more you do it, the better you feel.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Time for you to commit to change!
9 months ago I never thought I'd make it to where I'm at but I did, and I feel so much better.
You can do it to!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel like I'm trying really harder these days. I see a psychiatrist once a week. I've cut myself down from drinking 5-7 days a week to only 1-2. I know I should be doing AA, rehab, sponsor...but I cannot muster up the courage to admit I have a problem to my family and friends. I dont want them to look at me differently or be ashamed to be my family. I keep trying to fight this problem on my own and in secret...not the healthiest way I know, but at this moment, the only way I CAN fight without hurting the people I love.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel like I'm trying really harder these days. I see a psychiatrist once a week. I've cut myself down from drinking 5-7 days a week to only 1-2. I know I should be doing AA, rehab, sponsor...but I cannot muster up the courage to admit I have a problem to my family and friends. I dont want them to look at me differently or be ashamed to be my family. I keep trying to fight this problem on my own and in secret...not the healthiest way I know, but at this moment, the only way I CAN fight without hurting the people I love.
Hey Scared! It is hard being out in the open with a drinking problem. I was scared but family and friends have been awesome! They would much
Rather you get help then get worse. I was scared to let others in on my secret because I really wouldn't be able to go back also. You need that face to face support. You can do this!
Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It really is never too late Scared. Give it your all.
When you feel like drinking, come here instead

D
Old 05-13-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you are sober, and have been for a really long time, PLEASE PLEASE dont give in the drink ever. Take it from someone living the nightmare right now. This isn't fun or productive at all. I am in constant pain nowadays either with a hangover, a panic attack, anxiety, or muscle pain due to me caring more about what goes in my face rather than how to cherish the only body I get in this life.

I binge drank on Sunday. It is now tuesday night. My sides hurt, my head is in a fog, my anxiety is a 8/10, I had 2 panic attacks in the past 2 days.

I am worried about so much in life that I am forgetting what it means to just live it.
Sending my encouragement to you man. 10 months ago I could have written your post, word for word. I was terribly sick every single day. I thought I was going to insane psychologically even before the alcohol killed me.

Just letting you know there is a life away from alcohol and it's there for you, available, just like it was for me. You can do this! I know this. I promise you. I thought I was a truly hopeless case. Sadly, I thought I was worse than everyone else here. Yes, my drunk mind thought that. Why? Because they could stop and I didn't think I could. One day at a time.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hey scared, lots of us didn't announce it to anyone, we just stopped drinking. I chose not to use AA, and my doctor and SR have been my support. You don't have to tell anyone if you don't want to. If they notice you're not drinking you can say you're on a health kick, or you don't feel like it tonight, or taking meds that clash or any other reason. Normally people don't notice and don't care.

PS: your family probably has a reasonable idea of what's going on.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know..you are right. They know I drink at night when they are sleeping and I got a couple hours to wind down for the night. I dont think they know how much I can consume or how often I've drank in a week. Its sad to think that they know but dont want to talk about it...probably convincing themselves I'm just young and enjoying a couple drinks at night and having fun. Little do they know... I'm knees deep in day #3 and I'm hoping that by the time I wake up tomorrow, I am feeling some mental and physical relief.

Back when I was 19-25...my hangover was gone by lunch.
Nowadays...hangovers last DAYS

Oh the human body...Its so good at letting you do what you want until it just starts to break slowly. I can't rebound the same anymore. This is stoopid! I wish I could just stop and be done.

Thanks everybody. I dont say it enough..but I do appreciate every response. You guys are the only alcoholic family members I have <3
Old 05-13-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for helping me stay sober today.

I've not been in sobriety for a really long time yet.... But I have been long enough to know the answer to your question:

It feels blissfully awesome.

It feels rich and free and good.

You will know this feeling, too.

Keep at it!
Old 05-13-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Hi Scared:

To steal from an old ad...."the best part of waking up is sober in your cup!"

I'm only 78 days sober and funnily today when I got out of bed and thought to myself, this is so wonderful not to wake up hungover and feeling like death. Nothing is going to make me drink again.

There have been so many positive changes to being sober and they totally eclipse being drunk. I still have problems, like everyone in life, but it is so much easier to face these problems sober than viewing them through the lens of a hangover (where they are always distorted).

I urge you to try - get sober, you won't regret it.

CF
Old 05-13-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Scared, just want to offer my support. Waking up everyday feeling physically ill and mentally beat up is not a quality lifestyle. You can do it. Get that mind and body back in balance and you'll sleep like a baby.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi.
Im only 11 days sober but already the changes are truly amazing - more than I ever could have imagined.
A friend called me for a drink yesterday and I just said I'm not into drinking at the moment so lets have coffee - they agreed without a second thought and since they don't have a drink problem didn't even notice.
do it!
Old 05-13-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm almost at 6 months sober, and life is so much better. I no longer have an albatross around my neck on a daily basis.

You can do this!! Sobriety is so much better than living in pain and fear.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know you don't want to hurt the people who live you but doing it alone? You don't have to. In fact, it helps to have support. I thought I was keeping a big secret by not saying I need help. I was only fooling myself. Everyone knew. I wasn't engaged in life. It was blatantly apparent that I wasn't well. I was rail thin with a red face. Shaky, anxious, panicky. My head? There wasn't a there, there. My every moment was spent wrapped up in feeling sick and miserable or planning my next drink. Couldn't focus for anything except on my own misery. You're hurting? Too bad, it's all about me right now. At least that's what I thought.

I have the perspective of being sober for 16 months and seeing my alcoholic husband relapse. I never see him drink. He disappears from the house. When he drinks at home when I'm not around? I can tell in a second that he's drunk. I can't smell anything because the nose doesn't work so well but it's so bloody obvious that I roll my eyes to even ask him who the heck he think he's kidding. Even when he's not drinking and he's at home, he isn't there. He's checked out of life and into the bottle.

Get help. Stay here and post for support. I posted in another thread today that I found my greatest strength in admitting my greatest weakness. Surrender to getting help and letting go of the fear. It will set you free.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Scared, congratulations on day 3. Tomorrow will be day four, then day five... and so on. Just take it one day at a time.

You can make this happen for you. You never have to pick up a drink again if you don't want to.

Listen to those here with some time under their belts. Every ounce of effort you put in is so worth the outcome. You will get your life back... No more anxiety, worrying about hiding your drinking, shaking, sweating, being in poor health, no more lying.

You have the power to make this work.

I don't go to AA or have any other support group other than SR; I'm on day 310 after 20+ years of HEAVY drinking. You have got to do what works for you. How many support groups you belong to, how many recovery plans you put into play, that needs to depend on what's going to keep you sober.

Bottom line is do what ever it takes to stay sober. You will thank yourself for making that decision. It gets easier and easier with time.

I promise, you will not regret making the daily decision to just not drink.

Stay strong and lean on us as often as you need.