Notices

I faltered...faltered...and finally failed

Old 05-12-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sorry ArtFriend. Family can be rough sometimes. We're all here for ya.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sorry for your troubles, ArtFriend. I'm going through a minor version of that with my family (mom & siblings). We've always been a pretty close family but I'm getting to the point where I just can't deal with their $hit anymore. I think the answer is the same for both of us, ArtFriend- we each need to put some distance between us and the ones that are driving us nuts.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am here with my tail between my legs. Feeling mentally, emotionally and physically like crap. Happy hump day
Old 05-13-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I am here with my tail between my legs. Feeling mentally, emotionally and physically like crap. Happy hump day
It will get better, you know that. We are all here to support each other and are here for you to talk it out :-)
Old 05-13-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hang in here Art. Please don't let that shame and guilt cause you to drink again. Shame and fear are the 2 reasons people relapse/drink/drug etc. according to a study I just read.

You haven't failed if you are still trying.

I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. (((Hug)))
Old 05-13-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Artfriend,
I am sorry you are struggling.
When I was in the hospital after drinking myself sick, the doctor who saved my life told me two things that have stuck with me. He said if I have another drink I will die, and if I want any kind of success in this not drinking, then I must figure out my relationship with my mother. While I was in rehab I began to really understand the first, and two days out of rehab I was just barely beginning to realize the second.

I had to break up with my mother otherwise I knew I wasn't going to stay sober. We stopped contact and I didn't know if or when we would ever talk again. I spent my first sober holidays alone. And that was fine, because I was sober. It was quite a few months before we slowly began to communicate again. And that slow communication evolved into a completely different relationship with her, and my family for that matter.
It is actually better now.

I hope you get back on track soon!
Old 05-13-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Serenidad - you must be reading my mind. I am feeling ashamed of caving last night as well as some fear that I may not be able to lick this thing. Anger is in the mix as well.

Interestingly last night I dreamt that someone was going to saw my right arm off at the shoulder. Very scary. I wonder if that has anything to do with my drinking?
Old 05-13-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
Hi Artfriend,
I am sorry you are struggling.
When I was in the hospital after drinking myself sick, the doctor who saved my life told me two things that have stuck with me. He said if I have another drink I will die, and if I want any kind of success in this not drinking, then I must figure out my relationship with my mother. While I was in rehab I began to really understand the first, and two days out of rehab I was just barely beginning to realize the second.

I had to break up with my mother otherwise I knew I wasn't going to stay sober. We stopped contact and I didn't know if or when we would ever talk again. I spent my first sober holidays alone. And that was fine, because I was sober. It was quite a few months before we slowly began to communicate again. And that slow communication evolved into a completely different relationship with her, and my family for that matter.
It is actually better now.

I hope you get back on track soon!
That is fantastic Olive! I know that I have a uber toxic family... I have gone no contact with my A brother and will most likely do so with my zealot brother as well. I hope someday we could forge a new family, but I really doubt that will happen.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey AF, time to get back on the bicycle. You know the drill.

Others have said it better, but sometimes family, friends or a toxic relationship are something we need to avoid until we can sort ourselves out?
Old 05-13-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I got a call from my super holier-than-thou brother. He is Christ incarnate. Sits at the right hand of god and all that. We argued over many many things... including my mother, whom he has banished to hell. She was a heathen, heretic, idolater and all that bull. Why are so called Christians so cruel?
your brother doesn't sound at all 'Christ-like' to me...

I'm sorry you drank again.... Time to return to sobriety?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Serenidad - you must be reading my mind. I am feeling ashamed of caving last night as well as some fear that I may not be able to lick this thing. Anger is in the mix as well.

Interestingly last night I dreamt that someone was going to saw my right arm off at the shoulder. Very scary. I wonder if that has anything to do with my drinking?
Your fear is your addiction talking, anyone can get sober if they have the desire and drive to do so, You are no different in that respect. Your addiction would have you believe that your problems/family/issues are somehow worse or different than everyone else and that you are "destined" to keep drinking. It's exactly what the AV wants you to believe.

The dreams could certainly be affected by the alcohol, usually each return to drinking yields less and less favorable results.

Why not make today the day you fully commit to and accept that drinking is simply not an option for you anymore? And pledge to do whatever it takes to make that happen? Your family cannot "make" you drink...YOU make the decision to drink. What is missing is the framework to help you make the decision to not pick up.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
What is missing is the framework to help you make the decision to not pick up.
what do you mean by "framework" Scott?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
your brother doesn't sound at all 'Christ-like' to me...
Ya got that right! He uses scripture to beat people up.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

what do you mean by "framework" Scott?
I mean a plan/program that you can follow. Something that becomes part of the fabric of each day for you. Something you can fall back on no matter what happens and choose to stay sober rather than drinking. I can't tell you exactly what that might be but there are a lot of options of course - meeting based programs, self paced, therapy, rehab, etc. Because there will always be a "next" time when someone from your family, or something in your life gets you really stressed out/worked up...that is simply part of life.

Most likely there will be something about ANY of those plans that you do not agree with or that you do not want to do. In order for them to work however, you will have to accept that and do those things. There is no "perfect" solution or magic pill/therapy/book that can simply make you "not an alcholic" anymore.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Organized religion is the cause of so much pain, anguish and wars, it's a shame, because it doesn`t have to be that way. But, you are stronger then that, you are here. Learn from this and work on your plan for the next time. Everyone will have their own opinion on how the world go around. Work on yourself and get ready to protect yourself again the next onslaught of attacks to your self worth! Stay strong, you got this.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

No one can change the way I feel emotionally unless I give them that power.

Pray for your family. They might not change but, your attitude towards them will .
Old 05-13-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Pray for your family. They might not change but, your attitude towards them will .
Can't - been hurt too much by them
Old 05-13-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good luck in getting back on the right track my alcoholic brother.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks MarioBee - but I'm a sista
Old 05-13-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks MarioBee - but I'm a sista
Oops haha! works both ways for me my alcoholic sista!