Notices

Had an A HA moment

Old 05-12-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had an A HA moment

Well I had a big aha! moment yesterday.

Had to have some painful dental surgery (UGH and ewwww) and was going to get narcotics for the pain. Didn't think much of that, never had that before, but wasn't worried as I couldn't get addicted with a small prescription, could I??

While waiting in the lobby, it crossed my mind that while I couldn't get addicted to the narcotic as it would be a short prescription supply, it COULD make me do something I don't WANT to do, such as drink ALCOHOL. Never thought of it that way before.....

O NO! NOT going there, turned down the drugs and am doing fine with Ibuprophen.

Also have a little wine and beer in the house that I have been keeping for company. Has not tempted me yet, but why take the risk. It is all going in the recycling bin today.
If I have company they can BYO, or better yet drink non alcoholic drinks! A HA!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job being aware newpage. I had to keep an alcohol free home for a year or two. Occasionally someone would bring a few beers over but I would chase them all the way down the driveway if they left some in my fridge.

And I do the same thing on pharmaceuticals even after years of sobriety. I'm not sure if it's necessary but I just don't feel the need to risk it. My doctor did insist that I fill a prescription for pain meds when I was having a kidney stone. I live in a small town and she didn't want me to call her at 3:00 in the morning. I reluctantly filled it, but didn't take any and dumped them when I got through it.

I didn't really have the presence of mind to think about these things in early sobriety. Well done. Keep it up!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I certainly find having no alcohol in the house good . I'm protective and precious of my sobriety . I don't think i'd keep bacon in the fridge if i were vegetarian just incase an omnivore pops round ..

If company comes they can make do with tea or go out if drink is that important to them ..
If they've come to see me then i share whats in the cupboard .

Bestwishes, m
Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I certainly find having no alcohol in the house good . I'm protective and precious of my sobriety . I don't think i'd keep bacon in the fridge if i were vegetarian just incase an omnivore pops round ..

Bestwishes, m
Really good point, Mecanix! I quit smoking in 1979 (OK showing my age!) and didn't keep a pack of cigarettes around just in case a smoker popped by! As a matter of fact, I wouldn't allow anyone to smoke anywhere near me, and especially not my house or car! Still don't.....

Not sure why drinking is that much harder to draw the line ......maybe cause it is more socially accepted?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done newpage! I never keep alcohol in the house. I never have company either. Maybe I should branch out a bit.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hmm, I have some serious dental surgery coming up at the end of the month - my rearmost wisdom tooth is too close to the next one. It is being removed and I will have stitches. I have to be sedated and will need to be collected afterwards.

I had not considered it a threat to me not drinking. I was assuming I would just have some (non paracetemol) pain killers for a few days.

On the note I have it says no alcohol 48 hours before and after the operation so even if I was a non alcoholic I would not be allowed any for 96 hours