Notices

Here I am... again... any help is appreciated

Old 05-12-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I know for me personally, the first week after my last drink was pretty awful. I was depressed (REALLY depressed for the first few days) and I was questioning a lot of things. And I wasn't even drinking much before that, but the once a week or once every other week I drank I drank HARD. So that first week was miserable. The second week wasn't rainbows, but it started getting better. I'm about 8 weeks sober now and feeling pretty good, mentally. I still get pangs of anxiety about drinking here and there, but I'm so scared to go back to my old ways that I haven't really been tempted yet. I KNOW that one drink isn't possible for me and when my AV tries telling me that maybe one day I will be able to moderate, I try to jump on here. Or do something else to distract myself.

It's tough to say how long it will take your emotions to even out. Especially since as you get further away from drinking, any other emotional issues that may have been hiding are likely to come out. But we all have that and have to deal with it. Ultimately, drinking won't help any of us deal with anything at all. Just remember to take some time for yourself. That might be hard with a family and job, but even just a few minutes of quiet reflection here and there to really be in the moment with yourself and think about what you're doing, how you are feeling, what is changing, what is not... sounds kinda new agey but I think it's helpful to work on being more self aware. Self awareness is definitely NOT achievable when we are drink. That's probably why a lot of us drink
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learninganew View Post
Welcome back. What I read in your post is that you are not happy now. And yet you say you can't be happy WITHOUT alcohol. This is the insanity of the addiction.

What will you do to change the emotional link link between a desired feeling (happiness) and an entrenched behaviour (drinking)? That's the key question. It's going to take time and effort but it's so worth it. You will know a happiness you never imagined if you rebuild your life without addiction.
I have no clue. That's why I'm here...
Old 05-12-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have found that the people who are successful are the ones that do AA not the ones that try AA.

Doing AA means going to a lot of meetings, getting a sponsor, working the steps, coming early/staying late, service work, building a network of sober friends, and reaching out.

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeepTruckin View Post
I know for me personally, the first week after my last drink was pretty awful. I was depressed (REALLY depressed for the first few days) and I was questioning a lot of things. And I wasn't even drinking much before that, but the once a week or once every other week I drank I drank HARD. So that first week was miserable. The second week wasn't rainbows, but it started getting better. I'm about 8 weeks sober now and feeling pretty good, mentally. I still get pangs of anxiety about drinking here and there, but I'm so scared to go back to my old ways that I haven't really been tempted yet. I KNOW that one drink isn't possible for me and when my AV tries telling me that maybe one day I will be able to moderate, I try to jump on here. Or do something else to distract myself.

It's tough to say how long it will take your emotions to even out. Especially since as you get further away from drinking, any other emotional issues that may have been hiding are likely to come out. But we all have that and have to deal with it. Ultimately, drinking won't help any of us deal with anything at all. Just remember to take some time for yourself. That might be hard with a family and job, but even just a few minutes of quiet reflection here and there to really be in the moment with yourself and think about what you're doing, how you are feeling, what is changing, what is not... sounds kinda new agey but I think it's helpful to work on being more self aware. Self awareness is definitely NOT achievable when we are drink. That's probably why a lot of us drink
My SO is always telling me that it's very key to live in the moment - to actually be present, and to have moments like that where you reflect on yourself, what you're doing, where you're going, etc.