Notices

Pretty little distractions

Old 05-11-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pretty little distractions

What do you do when you get off work and feeling tense or just feeling tense and want to drink? What is your distraction or relaxation tip?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The internet! I also like to work out, listen to music or watch a movie. Reading is also good.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pray for strength

It has not happened in a long time, but earlier this year I would need to make sure that I stayed ultra hydrated and blood sugar up near the end of the work day or I would have that full body crash onto the car seat then couch. Granola bar in the car for the drive home. Then music and walk, sparkle cleaning toilets, reading SR, watching Netflix, or browsing books. Just becoming fully engrossed in something instead of wanting to zone out, I suppose. If I am working from home then I just have to make sure I have plenty of fizzy water and as few distractions as possible.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

chocolate ice cream , and a long shower when i got home .

I find something physical like a shower is good as it gets me out of my head and "thinking" into feeling and inhabiting my physical body ..

m
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been trying to rediscover the things I used to enjoy before I started drinking every day. Like going for drives. I also take some courses on coursera.org (thanks to another SR-member who suggested this one).

I quit smoking a week after I quit drinking, and found myself fidgeting and getting restless. I bought a ukulele, and because I've never played any instrument, it pretty much keeps my hands and mind occupied when I try to learn. Plus it's great for cheering me up - being down while playing the uke is impossible.

I drank all my money, so the first few weeks I would do anything that was free. Went to organ concerts in local churches (no sermons, just music), lectures at the library, art exhibitions and so on.

I also started reading rock star biographies. I liked Duff McKagan's "It's so easy (and other lies)" and the classic Motley Crue "The Dirt". Any recovery litterature that isn't preachy.

5 weeks in I find I'm a lot more calm after work, and I'm spending more time at home, actually enjoying my own company a lot more.

Last edited by StellaPolaris; 05-12-2015 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Added books.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

These are great!!! Showers and Rock star biographies!!! (I hear Craig Fergison's book is pretty raw).
Old 05-12-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

... And of coarse LOTS of ICE CREAM!!!!! (I prefer pie... with ice cream on top :/ )
Old 05-12-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Once i eat dinner, any craving for alcohol i may have had is gone. it's during the preparing dinner i crave a little, since that's is when i did most of my drinking. needles to say i have become quite the cook! best wishes and take care.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I rarely have cravings to drink after over five years, but when I did, and sometimes still do, I walk my dogs. They love the walks and I stay sober. It's a win-win for all of us.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Long walks in the fresh air, ipod in and clear my head!!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its late, I am drinking herbal tea, researching herbal cleanses. It is too late to go out, but man oh man, I keep thinking about it. On the bright side, I know I will sleep well tonight and wake up refreshed tomorrow! I dread night time, I always seem to have a hard time letting go of the day, always have.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilyrosemary View Post
Once i eat dinner, any craving for alcohol i may have had is gone. it's during the preparing dinner i crave a little, since that's is when i did most of my drinking. needles to say i have become quite the cook! best wishes and take care.
I love wine with dinner, I can't make risotto or steak right now because I willcook with wine and feel I have to drink what ever I don't cook with..
Old 05-12-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Gardengirl, you are not alone in any of this! Shallots, garlic and wine used to be a nightly thing for me. Don't worry. The discomfort really is temporary. I seriously stayed up nightly with my laptop logged into SR for a good 4 months solid. I learned a ton of great things and never, ever felt alone in this journey. You are not alone in that either. Hope your day was a good one!