Notices

quitting and blood sugar

Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bdj

quitting and blood sugar

I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Did anyone else have sugar problems when you quit? I am on day 8 and the last 2 days I can tell when my sugar is off. Any comments are greatly appreciated. I was at the dr a few months ago and nothing was bad. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I quit I needed to take in more sugar since my body was used to having all the carbs associated with drinking beer. If I didn't have enough carbs in my system, I could tell and it would go away once I got some sugar into my system.
FYI: I have never had issues with diabetes, so if this is related to diabetes, I would check with your doctor.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bdj

I was checked for diabetes a few months ago. I'm just not sure how to compensate for the sugar. I was a beer and red wine drinker.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I don't know what "off" means. If you're diabetic your A1c will improve just due to not consuming alcohol, period, as its affects sugar metabolism due to adrenalin release but, additionally, unless you're eating sugar due to cravings for it, you won't be getting as much sugar. If you're diabetic, you should definitely be using your monitor more and making adjustments. I'm not a doc but am diabetic. Also, give it time... morning readings may be high due to sugar storage in your liver and will improve as that storage gets depleted.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bdj

No, I am not diabetic. I was checked a few months ago. I mean off by I feel shaky and if I eat alot of sugar my vision seems to get a little blurry. I am sure it is from all the gallons of wine I drank. Not sure how to compensate. I know what I am going through right now makes it a lot easier not to drink.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Best to check again with your doctor if you have doubts. My A1C was slightly in the prediabetes range, I cut back on drinking and dieted a bit and it went down again after 3 months. I know because I test that certain foods still send my sugars high. Including plain beans, any kind of rice or bread at all and even oatmeal.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My nurse practitioner told me it would normalize with cessation of alcohol. Hope she's right. Anyway watch your carbs and sugar... eat tons of veggies, can't hurt.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I have almost 4 years sober and I still crave sugar from time to time. Ive had mine checked and it all tests normal. But if I go all day without something sweet I get a headache, I feel anxious sometimes, and I get really grumpy! After having the doctor check me out and saying my bloodwork was all normal she suggested I just keep snacks handy. So now when I feel like that I have a sugary drink or a piece of candy and within minutes it goes away.

I still don't know what causes it, but I'm going to blame my alcoholism. :P As long as the doctor checks me out from time to time and says I'm okay I won't worry too much.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bdj

Not to mention I am also a fat pig!. 5ft 9 and 255. Lost 7 lbs last week just from not drinking. Thanks for all your responses and suggestions.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdj View Post
No, I am not diabetic. I was checked a few months ago. I mean off by I feel shaky and if I eat alot of sugar my vision seems to get a little blurry. I am sure it is from all the gallons of wine I drank. Not sure how to compensate. I know what I am going through right now makes it a lot easier not to drink.
I drank fruit smoothies (just fruit and water) to get my sugar up. I sometimes would also make myself flourless brownies using the recipe from skinnytaste (trust me they are awesome and pretty healthy).
Old 05-12-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My sugar was all over the place in the beginning, dizzy spells, nausea etc, went to the Dr and he confirmed that was the case!!

Something sugary in the afternoon used to perk me up as my blood took a dip around 3/4pm each day.

Eventually things adjusted, but maybe seeing a Dr again may be a good idea to be sure!!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Some posts have been removed. Sharing personal experience is fine but please remember that forum rules prohibit giving out medical advice.

BDJ...if you haven't been checked for a few months i'd agree that seeing your doctor for a follow up would be good idea.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My blood sugar issues normalized around the 1.5 year mark.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bdj

Thanks for all your replies and advice. Today is the best I have felt in years. No sugar in my coffee this morning, fruit smoothie and almonds for lunch, alot more energy today. Thank you guys very much for helping me through this rough time. :
Old 05-12-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bdj

I think it's probably a good idea to get checked out at the Drs again if you're concerned

D