Notices

Take this job and shove it...

Old 05-11-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Take this job and shove it...

So I have made it 15 days without a drink. It has been hard but is getting easier over time and support here on SR. I am realizing that this is going to be work and am ready to do things differently. One huge thing in my way is my job. I am a bartender...and I am a good bartender. I have enjoyed my job and I love meeting new people but it is not going to work for me anymore. I have never done my job 100% sober. I would always have a few before going in or pour a shot or two into my water glass in the back room just to maintain and not get impatient with my customers who are mostly *********. It was hard moderating at work but I managed somehow..and when my shift ended I would go home and get blotto. This was just an on going cycle. I have made the decision to put my notice in on Wednesday (my day off). I have decided to be honest with my boss. To tell her that I'm an alcoholic, to out myself and let her know why I can't work for her anymore. In the big scope of things I am all I have. Jobs will come and go as will fair weather friends. My recovery is my first priority today and as I type this I feel a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders...Ch ch ch changes!!
Old 05-11-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on 15 days CeeFarro & good choice leaving that job
Old 05-11-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't blame you at all for leaving that job. That job has to be torture for an alcoholic that wants to get sober. Congrat on the 15 days as well!
Old 05-11-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 15 days and being realistic with yourself to make such a decision about your job.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seeing the same people in every day talking about the same thing over and over has actually made me not want to drink lately. And it reminds me of me and what I don't want to be anymore. Time to blow this pop stand..
Old 05-11-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome decision, I think you are saving your own life. That's a big, admirable move- congrats on 15 days
Old 05-11-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cee, congrats on 15 days!!!!

Leaving your job as a bartender sounds like a wise decision; I know that I couldn't have handled such a job in early recovery and is certainly one I wouldn't want to consider now.

I really admire the proactive way in which you are dealing with recovery.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good call CeeFarro. A job change is a big decision but you're doing it for very good reasons. Good luck to you. Keep steaming ahead one day at a time.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by CeeFarro View Post
Seeing the same people in every day talking about the same thing over and over has actually made me not want to drink lately. And it reminds me of me and what I don't want to be anymore. Time to blow this pop stand..
Sounds like a good decision, CeeFarro. I sometime think being around drunk people occasionally helps me maintain my decision to quit. Hearing the drunken gibberish or drama reminds me how I so don't want to be that person any more. But I can see it being pretty intolerable to work in that environment all the time!
Old 05-11-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go, Cee. That (bar tending) would do me in, I think.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

15 days, WHILE bartending? I think you deserve some sort of prize. Or a trophy. Definitely something.

Any thoughts on what you want to do for work now that you're moving on?
Old 05-11-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I haven't. And I'm to the point where I'd rather be living in a van down by the river than risk my sobriety.....seriously though I will be financially ok for a while. I will just have to curb my spending habits. I am lucky really..
Old 05-11-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You will look back on this decesion in a year and will be very proud of yourself. Way to go on the 15 days. I agree you should get an award for bartending and remaining sober. Awesome job!!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made the decision to leave your job and that you feel good about it. Congratulations on 15 days sober.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow CeeFarro, that's an amazing decision. This is life changing. And congrats on 15.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have known many bartenders who when new to sobriety would not quit their jobs. I give you much credit for making this decision. Hope you get new work very soon.

MM
Old 05-11-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 15 days!

I had to make the exact same choice. I do know people who have gotten and stayed sober while bar tending but I know I wouldn't have been able to.

You may be as surprised as I was that not everyone goes to bars as much I thought was "normal".

I do suggest starting to look for a new job now though.

Way to go!
Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm sure you'll find something good, I was just curious if you had anything in mind

Kind of exciting to get to chose something new! Enjoy the time in between too. It's like a little vacation!
Old 05-11-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 15 days!

I think that surviving the first two weeks in a bar environment will definitely make you stronger for the future.

Good luck with finding a more suitable job!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CeeFarro View Post
So I have made it 15 days without a drink. It has been hard but is getting easier over time and support here on SR. I am realizing that this is going to be work and am ready to do things differently. One huge thing in my way is my job. I am a bartender...and I am a good bartender. I have enjoyed my job and I love meeting new people but it is not going to work for me anymore. I have never done my job 100% sober. I would always have a few before going in or pour a shot or two into my water glass in the back room just to maintain and not get impatient with my customers who are mostly *********. It was hard moderating at work but I managed somehow..and when my shift ended I would go home and get blotto. This was just an on going cycle. I have made the decision to put my notice in on Wednesday (my day off). I have decided to be honest with my boss. To tell her that I'm an alcoholic, to out myself and let her know why I can't work for her anymore. In the big scope of things I am all I have. Jobs will come and go as will fair weather friends. My recovery is my first priority today and as I type this I feel a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders...Ch ch ch changes!!
Change is good. The longer you are sober, the more that statement rings so very true.

I am proud of you. Congrats on your sobriety and the new life that lies ahead....