SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My AV is screaming at me.....trying to stay strong (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366922-my-av-screaming-me-trying-stay-strong.html)

Mysusnshine1 05-11-2015 08:40 AM

My AV is screaming at me.....trying to stay strong

I'm starting to feel the "weight" of the world again. Starting to notice some of the things that drinking helped me forget/ignore. What is worse is that I have the perfect situation laid out in font of me. Husband is at work and daughter is off with grandma for the day. Its a wonderful rainy day ( I loved drinking when it was rainy).

Gotta keep focused.....I've done so well up to this point!

:a108::faint:c002::skillet:e136:

LiberatedStorm 05-11-2015 08:44 AM

I can absolutely relate to that Mysusnshine1. That AV is brutal. I am currently trying my best to ignore mine on a stressful Monday morning. I hope that you get past it and can enjoy the quiet, rainy day no matter what.

greens 05-11-2015 09:02 AM

What do you have planned today to avoid driinking?

doggonecarl 05-11-2015 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mysusnshine1 (Post 5365597)
What is worse is that I have the perfect situation laid out in font of me. Husband is at work and daughter is off with grandma for the day.

Meaning no one would know you drank?

You'd know. And you'd care after you drank. So care now. Stay strong.

goodman 05-11-2015 09:42 AM

Take a shower. One of the things I do to try not to drink is to take a shower when I get the urge. This way you will have to dry off and get dressed again and it will take up time.

ccam1973 05-11-2015 09:43 AM

Stay strong Mysunshine! You can do this and will feel so much better by not drinking.

Good job on posting here for help when you get that urge. Now try to diffuse the situation and let the urge pass.

I know it's raining, but can you get out of the house until the urge passes... or read a book, do something around the house that you've been putting off, make a great lunch for yourself... anything to let this urge pass.

Trust me, you will feel so much better and stronger for riding this out and staying sober!

SoberLeigh 05-11-2015 10:03 AM

I remember your beautiful post from the other day where you described rocking your daughter to sleep singing" You Are My Sunshine" to her; she is your sunshine and YOU are her sunshine. Keep on shining, Mysusnshine; the weight of the world will continue wax and wane; keep on shining.

least 05-11-2015 10:06 AM

Ignore that voice! It lies and steals your life. Starve it until it finally gives up and goes away. :)

Ruby2 05-11-2015 10:16 AM

I used to love drinking on rainy days but I'd also miss it because I'd pass out. Plenty of other things to do instead. Take a walk. Rain coat and umbrella. Nice cup of coffee. Listening to the rain. Nothing beats it.

Nonsensical 05-11-2015 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mysusnshine1 (Post 5365597)
Husband is at work and daughter is off with grandma for the day.

My AV likes to play that game, too. Nobody is home, so I can drink, and they won't know!

Strange that it never occurred to me they would eventually be home and they would figure it out. Kind of hard to miss the large drunk sleeping it off on the couch (or the floor).

Oh, the lies I've believed! :lala

Dee74 05-11-2015 02:46 PM

How are you doing Mysusnshine?

D

Inchworm 05-11-2015 02:55 PM

Hey, Sunshine. Let us know how you got through the day. We are here for you.

Mysusnshine1 05-11-2015 03:18 PM

I'm good, thank you for checking up on me. I texted my sponsor and read the Big Book a little bit. I did take a shower and put on make up ( good suggestion). My daughter is back home and my husband will be home soon, as much as I don't want to tell him about my almost weakness I feel like it will help me in the long run. I have been thinking about upping my AA meeting from one a week to two a week and after today I think it would be a good idea!

Thanks again for the help today! I am embarrassed I almost gave in.

SoberLeigh 05-11-2015 03:23 PM

Congrats, Mysusnshine; as unpleasant as these 'tests' are, they help to build your 'sober muscles'. Good job on seeing your way through this.

buk1000 05-11-2015 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mysusnshine1 (Post 5366285)
I am embarrassed I almost gave in.

Nothing to be embarrassed about there. You experienced it and now know you can get through it.

Think of it like Ralph Waldo Emerson thought of it:

"In general, every evil to which we do not succumb is a benefactor. As the Sandwich Islander believes that the strength and valor of the enemy he kills passes into himself, so we gain the strength of the temptation we resist."

doggonecarl 05-11-2015 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by buk1000 (Post 5366304)
Nothing to be embarrassed about there.

I agree. You did what we all suggest: post before you drink, not after. You did, you're sober.

Pipping 05-11-2015 03:51 PM

You should be proud of yourself not embarrassed. Well done, you kicked the AV in its a$$

DreaJean 05-11-2015 06:31 PM

Great job MySunshine!

IfYouCanDream 05-11-2015 06:43 PM

Good job on your little victory Mysunshine. :grouphug:

Tryingtoheal87 05-11-2015 06:50 PM

Good job on not picking up the bottle! I hope I can be as strong as you were today when it happens to me!