Notices

Looking for some tips

Old 05-10-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for some tips

I'm going to quit drinking tomorrow. I rehabbed years ago and fell off the wagon after 3+ years. I have been drinking again for 10+ years.

I don't have any personal issues happening, home life is great and I have a good job. I'm a functioning drunk. I drink 15 beers a day and rarely take a day off. I know I have an issue. It's just time for me to clean up for good.

I'm 39 and wondering if anybody can give me advise for the first few days, on what to do to occupy my time when I'm usually drinking. And what changes I might expect to see happening to my body.

I've been sweating a lot lately and wonder if that has to do with the alcohol intake as well.

If there is a place that I can find this info, I do apologize for misposting.

Also, if anybody is questioning the Moniker... It's what my friends called me when I was sober. Basically saying I was a good person to have with you, because I wasn't going to be F'd up.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lol nice moniker, somewhere on here is "a list of 100 things to do" I believe it's in the newcomer threads.
I'm not sure what kind of detoxing yiu need or if you should see a Dr but that should be foremost if your experiencing withdrawal
a lot of people go to 12 step meetings to start off, some people spend a lot of time sweating out those toxins in the gym, which will also help your mood. A lot of reading is helpful. There are LOTS of books out about alcoholism that I found useful. Stay busy anyway you can and try to get involved In something new that will fill up your time. Meet.up.com is a nice place to find groups of people who may have similar hobbies to you ( when I was drinking , I had no hobbies
Best of luck
Old 05-10-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR. Have you ever stopped drinking for more than a day during those 10 years? If not you might want to check with a doctor before going cold turkey....withdrawals can be potentially dangerous.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi DrinkingBuddy, and welcome to SR.

Ummm... yes, the sweating has to do with the alcohol. I've personally found it only takes a few days to begin seeing a noticeable difference.

As for what to expect, as everyone else is going to tell you, it's best to see a doctor. I've personally found that diet is absolute key. Nonetheless, instead of normal sweating, I begin sweating from every last pore in my body for several days. You may get the shakes, both sweating bullets and freezing cold at the same time, etc. You may begin throwing up, which is just your body trying to get rid of toxins.

As for what to do, there's lots. Swimming pool, read a book in a park, go for a bicycle ride, watch a movie at the theatre, volunteer at a food bank or SPCA, meditation, go to church / mosque / synagogue / temple if you're religious, etc.

Welcome to SR though, and all the best.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have stopped for a few days periodically, but nothing substantial (I understand 1 day is, but I'm talking a week +).
Old 05-10-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I echo Scott. I hadn't gone a day in years without alcohol. I knew down to my core that if I didn't get some medical help along with some inner reserves that I would fail. That was phase one of the plan. Just getting sober is often the "Plan" for most of us. A lot of us, including me in previous attempts at sobriety made no plan for what we would do once we achieved sobriety. This last time, I made a plan about early sobriety leading into lifelong sobriety, and I find that as I continue to follow the plan and tweak (sometimes schedule gets in the way of meetings for me) that I day by day stay sober. Those days have stacked up to 126. I have never been sober this long except before I began drinking. It's great to be here, but I don't kid myself, if I lose the resolve and the plan, the people, the support, I will fall off, and fall off hard. Start by making a plan and get a doctors advice. Nothing like bad detox to force someone who wants to be sober to grudgingly reach for a bottle just to stop the symptoms. And it just adds to the guilt/self hate cycle.
Best
Old 05-10-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great info everybody. I think I'll make an appointment with a Dr this week. I'm still going to quit tomorrow, but would like to have a plan in place.

I travel quit a bit for my job and find myself in bars at the airport and drinking a lot in hotels. My wife drinks, but she doesn't have an issue like I do. So I might start leaning on some of you to answer some dumb questions here in the near future.

I only drink beer and she's more of a wine person, so I won't have the urge to have a sip of her alcohol.

Once again. Thank you all for the start-up info. I appreciate the quick responses.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Coming here and posting and reading got me through those difficult first days

There's a link here for 'what we did' in early recovery, as well as some info on recovery plans and how to make yours

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

welcome DB76

D
Old 05-10-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi DB and welcome. Just be aware of being around alcohol early on. Like you drink beer and your wife drinks wine. I drank both but if I were truly desperate, any port in the storm sufficed.

Seeing a doctor for a checkup is a great idea. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum DrinkingBuddy76!!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 07-11-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not to rehash an old post, but I thought I would give an update.

I finally quit drinking and smoking here in the past week. The wife and I decided to do it together and we are doing great. I know we are only on day 8, but we have not had any horrible cravings or aggressive behavior. Haven't cheated once nor have we wanted to.

I had been drinking pretty heavily the past couple years (18 beers a night, every night, see original post for more info). I haven't gotten into any trouble and the wife hasn't made any threats. We just decided it was time to clean up our act. I'm 40 and she's going to be 48 next month.

I have to ask everybody... am I the only one who feels/felt like they are crapping horseshoes after a week sober? I'm slowly getting over the sweats, restlessness and the nightmares, but holy Hannah.... bathroom time is literally a pain in the ars (sorry to be blunt).
Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrinkingBuddy76 View Post
Great info everybody. I think I'll make an appointment with a Dr this week. I'm still going to quit tomorrow, but would like to have a plan in place.

I travel quit a bit for my job and find myself in bars at the airport and drinking a lot in hotels. My wife drinks, but she doesn't have an issue like I do. So I might start leaning on some of you to answer some dumb questions here in the near future.

I only drink beer and she's more of a wine person, so I won't have the urge to have a sip of her alcohol.

Once again. Thank you all for the start-up info. I appreciate the quick responses.
Why not give AA a go. That way, wherever in the world you travel there will be a group of sober friends where you are staying that you can drop by and connect with.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on day 8
Old 07-11-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

It will take a while to reestablish normal ahem gut function. You can ease things by drinking a lot of water, and adding some probiotics to your diet such as live culture yoghurt. Foods that contain fiber are important too! Sleep and a little exercise help most things, and this aspect is no different.

Soon all will be well.