Notices

You were all right!

Old 05-10-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You were all right!

I am now on month 7 and my AV keeps a talking! I don't 'crave' alcohol, but I am aware that the whisper of the AV is here! It keeps saying "you have it all under control now, you could just have one !"

I haven't and do something else! I think it's because I have started taking sobriety for granted this last month.

I stayed away with work one night last week and thought "I could have one!" I am proud to say I didn't, but I thought about it and that scared me!

I haven't been to AA for a while now and I will be there this week for sure!

I am posting here and reading here again tonight and do read every day. I think that if I didn't, I would have been drinking by now!

Thanks folks, you were right and warned me that no matter how long you have been sober for, that AV can pop up!
Old 05-10-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Buggirl ,
Always be on your guard .

I can handle sobriety , if i have one drink all bets are off as to what will happen , it was thus 10 years ago , as it was when i gave up 3 years ago , I have no wish to ever contemplate drinking again , all it offers is the same old hot mess of confusion .
Day 1345 here and no intention of ever drinking again

Keep on

m
Old 05-10-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You seem to be doing well tho buggirl - it's good to be self aware

D
Old 05-10-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How wise you are, Bug! I became complacent a couple of weeks ago but didn't bother to check in here. It did not end well.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Even over five years, the thought of drinking happens once in a while. Fortunately, my rational mind takes over and drives it away. Congrats on seven months sober!
Old 05-10-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Buggirl, I'm glad you're doing well and I'm glad that you're aware that your AV may still make its presence known sometimes. You're doing great!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post
I am now on month 7 and my AV keeps a talking! I don't 'crave' alcohol, but I am aware that the whisper of the AV is here! It keeps saying "you have it all under control now, you could just have one !"

I haven't and do something else! I think it's because I have started taking sobriety for granted this last month.

I stayed away with work one night last week and thought "I could have one!" I am proud to say I didn't, but I thought about it and that scared me!

I haven't been to AA for a while now and I will be there this week for sure!

I am posting here and reading here again tonight and do read every day. I think that if I didn't, I would have been drinking by now!

Thanks folks, you were right and warned me that no matter how long you have been sober for, that AV can pop up!
Buggirl writes>>>Thanks folks, you were right and warned me that no matter how long you have been sober for, that AV can pop up!<<<

I'm familiar with AV it comes from RR and I happen to know the founder of RR Jack Trimpey. I don't agree with the permanence of AV that many claim.

AV can pop up for some, especially in early abstinence, because these types aren't sober due to still being psychologically addicted, where others aren't. I happen to be one.

I hear stories about those that were sober 10, 20 years or longer and relapse, yet I don't hear the stories of those that don't relapse, rarely if ever!! It's understandable fear sells in a fear based society, just check out the so-called news, it's mostly negative.

Living in fear isn't sobriety!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

hi Buggirl, it still happens to me from time to time (>3yrs), but as you keep ignoring it, it happens less and less. It's like you recognise it, note it, but you have no intention of drinking. It really is a primitive reflex.

You're doing a great job of staying sober.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well over a year and this evening my lady shared an article with me on addiction and community....

It made me immediately think 'well, I have pretty great community now... I bet I could drink socially...'

Gratefully, I observed it, labeled it, responded 'maybe, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the peace and goodness I have to find out. My life is good WITHOuT alcohol, so I don't need it'

It becomes easier to respond in this way... But the AV still jumps out of the shadows trying to play its games.

Smile and refuse to accept its lies.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Buggirl, I'm glad you didn't drink. When I stopped doing what was working, I relapsed and at 10.5 months. I learned from that and it was a great warning. Keep it up!
Old 05-11-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"I haven't been to AA for a while now and I will be there this week for sure!"

Hi.
When we go to meetings we find out what happens to people who don’t go to meeting!
When I came around my undisciplined mind thought I’ll stop drinking, go to meetings, learn what I needed and resume life.
Well I found out it doesn’t work that way because we have to practice sobriety on a daily basis and make it our #1 priority. I continue to go after many years to pay back something I received so freely from people who understood this disease and it’s long term needed attention as opposed to our age of the quick fix.
Attendance is also a “memory recharge” because so many seem to have a built in forgetter and get in over their head with alcoholic thinking starting with “I think I should be able to handle just one.” Shortly thereafter it’s runaway drinking and shame which results in miserable living.

BE WELL
Old 05-11-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing well Buggirl
Old 05-11-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks folks! You are the best! Couldn't do it without you!
Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I believe that I have to maintain my sobriety everyday. For me that includes prayer, SR, AA reading, bible readings and AA 3X a week. Sobriety is not magic it is all the little things put together