SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello everyone (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366842-hello-everyone.html)

Fulham75 05-10-2015 10:29 AM

Hello everyone

I am 28 days sober today and thought I would sign up. I have been reading this site for months and people's stories on here have really inspired me.

The longest I have been sober for about 18 years is 38 days, which I achieved last summer. Normally I drink every day; often until I pass out.

I had a 'situation' 4 weeks ago today where I tried to kill myself twice in one weekend. I was detained under the mental health act and nearly lost my job - typical of my life of drinking to be honest.

This time it has to work or I could easily die. I am dealing with the cravings so far but the loneliness of being sober is crushing.

Anyway, nice to meet you all. Peace.

Soberwolf 05-10-2015 10:40 AM

Hello, Welcome & congratulations Fulham 28 days sober is awesome

ScottFromWI 05-10-2015 10:51 AM

Welcome Fullham and congrats on 28 days. I hope SR can be of help in your sober life, are you following any other programs?

Della1968 05-10-2015 10:54 AM

Welcome

Fulham75 05-10-2015 10:54 AM

No I tried AA but all I did after every meeting was go to the pub! I am just trying to get time under my belt and calm down. I am replacing booze with exercise.....lost 5 kilos since I quit, which is good.

My main problem is literally everything in my life involved drink, and everyone I know. I feel mighty lonely at the moment.

saoutchik 05-10-2015 11:01 AM

Hi Fulham, congratulations on 28 days.

Are you also seeing your GP? He/she might be able to assist with med and/or rehab, plus monitoring your physical health

PurpleKnight 05-10-2015 02:59 PM

Welcome to the Forum Fulham!! :wave:

Dee74 05-10-2015 03:45 PM

Welcome Fulham :)

D

Hevyn 05-10-2015 04:06 PM

It's great to have you with us Fulham. I'm sorry for the painful things that have happened. You never have to return to that miserable life. It does feel strange at first, but be patient & kind to yourself - the anxiety will lessen. Keep reading & posting - we're with you.

CeeFarro 05-10-2015 04:12 PM

Welcome!:)

Inchworm 05-10-2015 04:23 PM

Welcome, Fulham. 28 days is fantastic. Find some like minded people- join a gym, a hiking group, get involved in some activity that doesn't have alcohol as a primary requirement. It's really what you wanted all along ;)

biminiblue 05-10-2015 04:49 PM

I'm with Inchworm. There are so many things to do that don't involve alcohol.

Take a class, join a club, volunteer. If you have an interest in anything, there is a club for it - go find it! The "friends" that want you to drink aren't really friends. The people you used to drink with - won't some of them meet up with you for dessert and coffee, or some other non-drinking activity?

Iconoclastic 05-10-2015 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fulham75 (Post 5364025)
I am 28 days sober today and thought I would sign up. I have been reading this site for months and people's stories on here have really inspired me.

The longest I have been sober for about 18 years is 38 days, which I achieved last summer. Normally I drink every day; often until I pass out.

I had a 'situation' 4 weeks ago today where I tried to kill myself twice in one weekend. I was detained under the mental health act and nearly lost my job - typical of my life of drinking to be honest.

This time it has to work or I could easily die. I am dealing with the cravings so far but the loneliness of being sober is crushing.

Anyway, nice to meet you all. Peace.

Years ago a close friend attempted suicide. He told me that if he had succeeded, he would have killed a stranger. He's 35 years sober this month.

bdj 05-10-2015 04:57 PM

Welcome. I am 7 days sober with the help of this forum. Stick around and read their stories, it really helps.

least 05-10-2015 05:33 PM

Welcome to the family! :) Congrats on the first of many sober months. :scoregood You'll find lots of support here. :)

Fulham75 05-11-2015 12:30 PM

Thank you to everyone for your kind welcome :) 29 days!