Notices

Decided to give aa another try

Old 05-10-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decided to give aa another try

Got a sponsor who is really cool. He wasn't addicted to alcohol but was addicted to crack cocaine and mdma. I still find him to be great.

Is this unusual to have a sponsor from a different drug class? I think it works but just checking.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

IMHO, addiction is addiction. The only difference to me is that alcohol is legal and crack cocaine and mdma are illegal. It's so much easier for you to get your drug of choice, where it's more involved for him to get his. Other than that, if you identify with him and he can help you, I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He's actually a coworker that I see every day. He opened up to me so I reciprocated.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Justin
Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats. Having a sponsor is great and working the steps thoroughly can have a major impact on your life.

I'm just going to throw something out there for you to chew on. Your sponsor may get to know you very well. Including deep stuff from the past. You might consider how that could affect your work and work relationship. Also sponsors aren't immune from relapse. At the very least you might consider working your step 5 with clergy or a therapist. That way your work is not too intertwined should something go south.

Best wishes. You are on the right path.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not worried about that. We have gone from coworkers to best friends. If he gets close to relapse he calls. If I do I call him.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds positive Justin!!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This sounds like a positive thing. Keep going Justin :-)
Old 05-10-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had an aa AL anon sponsor once who was a junkie, turns out she only drank a hand full of Times. It was still a great match
I know soMe people think there's a difference between the alcoholics and addicts and I respect those views for a number of different reasins,
so anyways, as usual .....different strokes for different folks
best of luck
Old 05-10-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Justin, I think it's great that you have found someone you trust and who hopefully can help you through early sobriety.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
Got a sponsor who is really cool. He wasn't addicted to alcohol but was addicted to crack cocaine and mdma. I still find him to be great.

Is this unusual to have a sponsor from a different drug class? I think it works but just checking.
I'm just a bit confused. Yes, I do know that, like all chevys are automobiles, not all automobiles are chevys, all alcoholics are addicts, but not all addicts are alcoholics.

I don't believe there's a difference between alcoholics and addicts, however, there is a difference between AA and NA. AA does have a 'singleness of purpose,' (alcohol, alcoholics, and alcoholism) and in their pamphlet 'Problems other than Alcohol' it does state (pretty conclusively, I believe)..........:

"...We cannot give AA membership to non-alcoholics. But, like anyone else, they should be able to attend certain open AA meetings, provided, of course, that the groups themselves are willing..."

Therefore, for me, I don't believe I'd want a non AA member as a sponsor.

(o:
NoelleR