Notices

I'm back

Old 05-09-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back

didn't really post much before. I had started to realise I needed to do something about my drinking. I was off it a while then I became pregnant with our third child who is now 10 months so it wasn't an issue again for a while. I never drank while pregnant or breastfeeding.

In the last 3 months I started having drinks again. It seems I have progressed without even realising. I have had drinks in the day which I always associated with having a problem. Well I have done it or more than one occasion in the last few months. I am on antidepressants for post natal depression and since I have started drinking I don't think they are working so well.

I am an educated person. I know that if I don't stop now it will continue to get worse. I know that if it does get worse I will end up hurting my family which is the last thing I want to do. So now is the time to stop.

My main problem is I keep going ahead in my head thinking but holidays won't be the same without a couple of glasses of wine. Christmas dinner etc. So I need to work on living in the present.

My dad is an alcoholic and I am concerned with my drinking too that it is genetic and maybe one of my children could have problems too. But If I give them the best life possible that it won't happen.

They are still all under 4 so plenty of time to set good example. My husband occasionally drinks but it is always just one or two. He never has the desire for more. He doesn't like my drinking one bit and I have lied to him in the past.

I suppose I just need people to talk to going through the same thing. I have started running so hoping I can eat healthier and feel good. I haven't been taking very good care of myself lately. I'm also going to talk to my husband about maybe getting myself some counselling.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"My dad is an alcoholic and I am concerned with my drinking too that it is genetic and maybe one of my children could have problems too. But If I give them the best life possible that it won't happen.

They are still all under 4 so plenty of time to set good example."

Hi.
It’s good to be thinking of the childrens future. I feel that they start learning a lot from the unspoken actions of the parents by just always observing. How the long term results turn out is not my call. At many AA meetings over a lot of years I’ve heard many speakers say that when they were young they never wanted to be like an alcoholic parent they had.

BE WELL
Old 05-09-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Willow

D
Old 05-09-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Unfortunately you know and I know that a couple glasses of wine is not the issue or what we want. Now a couple of bottles mixed with some craft beer and after dinner drinks then egg nog is my idea of holiday drinking.

If I could drink a couple of glasses of wine and be satisfied then I would be a normal drinker and I wouldn't be on this site.

We have to be honest with ourselves. Normal drinking is not what we want or do
Old 05-09-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Willow.

It is great that you are looking at your drinking habits and thinking about the real and dangerous consequences of alcohol abuse.

You have two great reasons to lead a sober life - YOU and your children.

Alcoholism runs rampant in my family of origin, both currently and historically. I don't know if the familial link to alcoholism is genetic or environmental (exposure to drinking habits and patterns) but I do believe that example 'sets a strong stage', so to speak. You have a wonderful opportunity to begin modeling a healthy, sober lifestyle and healthy decision making while your children are young!!!!

Again, welcome to SR, Willow; I look forward to getting to know you.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Three under four is quite a challenge! I hope you have enough assistance that you can have some time for yourself. Welcome to SR, you've made a great choice for yourself and your family.