SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How long (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366606-how-long.html)

Chilledice 05-07-2015 08:27 AM

How long

How long until I stop feeling like this:

:headbange GIMME A FRIGGIN DRIIIIIIINK :headbange

Aaaaaaaaand breathe! :lmao

How long until the obsessional thoughts of booze go away?

least 05-07-2015 08:29 AM

It took me about three months sober before I stopped thinking about drinking a lot. It also helped that I started to practice gratitude about that same time. :)

Chilledice 05-07-2015 08:32 AM

Im only 4 days in, hanging on bit by bit at the moment!

ScottFromWI 05-07-2015 08:32 AM

It's different for everyone, but keep in mind that you are on day 4....possibly still in the physical withdrawal stage. For me personally, I think got over that initial WD hump at about a week or so, but every day got a little better.

The emotional side of things can take a lot longer...that's why it's so important to have a plan to deal with it.

doggonecarl 05-07-2015 08:39 AM

If there is one attribute that I would say contributes to success in early recovery it is patience. Cultivate it.

It's going to take more than four days to undo the damage of your years of drinking and subsequent relapse. It's the alcoholic's/addict's need for instant gratification that prompts so many relapses. Solid recovery takes time.

Stay strong.

Anna 05-07-2015 09:18 AM

I agree with Scott, you could still be feeling the withdrawals. I think it took me a few months before I got over the cravings entirely, but it's different for everyone. 4 days is awesome!

Chilledice 05-07-2015 09:20 AM

Thanks all for the support and encouragement, it is much appreciated! I just wanna get this day over with, goona watch a movie or two and then bed!

FreeOwl 05-07-2015 09:24 AM

what helped me was getting active in other things.... going running, going to a poetry reading, going to a free concert at the local university where no booze was being served, going for a hike in a beautiful spot, going fishing, going to the library and checking out the magazines there for a while, calling a friend I haven't seen in a while and going for coffee....

Not drinking can be extra tough if all you're doing is sitting around and not drinking.

Chilledice 05-07-2015 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by FreeOwl (Post 5358869)
what helped me was getting active in other things.... going running, going to a poetry reading, going to a free concert at the local university where no booze was being served, going for a hike in a beautiful spot, going fishing, going to the library and checking out the magazines there for a while, calling a friend I haven't seen in a while and going for coffee....

Not drinking can be extra tough if all you're doing is sitting around and not drinking.

I think I am physically well enough now to go for walks n stuff :)

Ruby2 05-07-2015 10:46 AM

It was hard for me in the beginning to get active. I felt pretty shaky and beat up. Gradually it got better.

But getting active and distracted is exactly what I needed, along with a plan. It will happen but I agree with everyone that patience is needed. Four days is super. Well done.