SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Starbucks vs. Liquor Store (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366593-starbucks-vs-liquor-store.html)

ElleDee 05-07-2015 05:03 AM

Starbucks vs. Liquor Store

I just had to post this today. I had a chuckle last night. By the way, I've been sober since January, almost 4 months now. Last night I had to run to the pharmacy to get some decongestant for my sinuses. While I was there I had a craving for a dark chocolate double shot express cappuccino from Starbucks and I was kind of wasting time at the pharmacy looking at other stuff (candy I know I shouldn't eat) until I realized the time. It was 8:45. I wondered how long Starbucks was open. 10PM at least I figured. Well in the car I checked my phone and OMG they close at 9!!! I raced like a maniac to my Starbucks and got in there at 8:55, got my coffee drink and I was happy camper. Yum!!! Then it dawned on me how many times I did the same thing... racing like a mad woman to the liquor store before they closed at 9:00. Wow. I laughed out loud in my car.

It felt REALLY good when I realized that I haven't thought about that for a while now.

I've been really enjoying life and feeling so good... my zest for living is returning and what I used to call "boring" I can call peace. The fog is clearing and I am really happy. Happy every day. It's awesome.

I wish you all peace today.

FreeOwl 05-07-2015 05:09 AM

lol... yep. Coffee - Starbuck's included - is the one addiction I just can't seem to kick.

It's the same kind of behavior..... well, minus the handcuffs, shame, regret and general destruction of life....

Congrats on 4 months!

Soberwolf 05-07-2015 06:14 AM

Congrats on 4 months

ArtFriend 05-07-2015 06:16 AM

Congrats on 4 months!! That is about what I have at this point.

I could relate to rushing to the store before it closed, but usually it is a store having some sale! ;)

JaneLane 05-07-2015 06:17 AM

Haha, I haven't ever seen anyone leg it to Starbucks before but if my coffee-love goes any further I might be following in your footsteps!

Well done on 4 months :-)

happyandfree 05-07-2015 06:22 AM

I love this. "MY ZEST FOR LIVING IS RETURNING " Congratulations on that realization! !!!!! 4 months is awesome.

Soberpotamus 05-07-2015 06:24 AM

Well done, ElleDee :) Yay for coffee!

SoberLeigh 05-07-2015 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by happyandfree (Post 5358582)
I love this. "MY ZEST FOR LIVING IS RETURNING " Congratulations on that realization! !!!!! 4 months is awesome.

^^^ Ditto!!!!!

Cool post, ElleDee.

Mountainmanbob 05-07-2015 06:37 AM

Got my coffee on right now.
I don't miss booze
but
I do love coffee.

MM

Fly N Buy 05-07-2015 06:44 AM

Good Stuff!

Yes, in sobriety if we are happy, glad, elated, sad, distraught, angry or blowing butt bubbles in the shapes of unicorns there is one constant.......

We don't drink over it :)
Thanks for the inspiration!!!

ccam1973 05-07-2015 06:45 AM

Got to admit, I love my coffee as well!

Congrats on 4 months ElleDee. Feels better and better each day.

Way to go!

FreeOwl 05-07-2015 06:55 AM

I think I may need to have another coffee....

firstymer 05-07-2015 07:43 AM

Great pose, ElleDee. I don't mind splurging on an expensive coffee drink these days. I am still spending WAY less than I did on alcohol.

Congratulations on reaching 4 months. You are doing great!

biminiblue 05-07-2015 07:46 AM

The real question we are all tiptoeing around here is...

Did you get any sleep?

least 05-07-2015 07:47 AM

I went to the store this morning when it opened looking for my favorite chips. I used to go to the store when it opened to get a bottle of wine. :( So glad those days are gone. :)

ElleDee 05-07-2015 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 5358715)
The real question we are all tiptoeing around here is...

Did you get any sleep?

Actually I did! I thought about it for a second, how drinking that coffee drink at 9PM might interfere with my sleep but I used to drink booze every night, wake up at 3AM, sometimes with anxiety. Never thought about the lack of sleep. I figured it was worth taking a chance and surprisingly I only had a little trouble falling asleep and then slept like a baby. Yay! Victory!!!!

ElleDee 05-07-2015 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 5358717)
I went to the store this morning when it opened looking for my favorite chips. I used to go to the store when it opened to get a bottle of wine. :( So glad those days are gone. :)

Isn't it great? I'm a chip-aholic too. Potato, especially the kettle cooked.

Ruby2 05-07-2015 08:12 AM

I bought kettle cooked chips and a chocolate frosted cake donut this morning. Didn't think about the liquor at all.

Well done on 4 months. That's terrific!

JaneLane 05-07-2015 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by firstymer (Post 5358713)
Great pose, ElleDee. I don't mind splurging on an expensive coffee drink these days. I am still spending WAY less than I did on alcohol. Congratulations on reaching 4 months. You are doing great!

Exactly. I bought some expensive coffee this morning and felt bad for about 10 seconds before remembering how much I spent on alcohol on a daily basis!

KaleGrrl 05-07-2015 08:31 AM

This is so inspiring. You made my day! :tyou