Notices

YOU CAN stay sober this weekend!! May 7- until....

Old 05-08-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ruby, I have a credit controller who now comes in once a week. She is from Portugal and is about my age and very glamorous in that latin way ( she looks a bit like Nancy Dell'Olio which won't mean a thing to 98% of people on this thread - think Yvonne De Carlo circa Lily Munster)

Anyway she said she was hoping to come back to the office, in which case I had decided to ask her out to dinner

She's a hard worker and didn't get back so I never got to ask her.

She doesn't actually know that she stood me up Ruby so no need to be sorry.

Welcome Kafkaesque
Old 05-08-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hi Kaf glad to have ya on the bus. Just got home, then dishes, then some Chinese broccoli stir fry. Yummy yummy yummy.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Kafka, you must ride Metra. I used to drink on the train. That was a hurdle I had to cross early on. Once I got on the train, I'd post on SR or read the paper to distract me.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

So, saoutchik, a stealth date. Cool. Maybe next time.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Back from work. There was a pot-bellied, beer-smelly man on the bus, which helped keep me on the right path. I don't want to be that guy.

Stopped at Walgreen's, bought a new fan for the bedroom [so sad when you have to pay for them ], two pints of ice cream (butter pecan and chocolate-chip mint), some breaded pollock fillets and some sunflower seeds.

About to lie down for a few minutes, then rinse off and change into weekend clothes for the start of my next sober weekend.

Also I saw a male cardinal (one of my good-omen birds) who did a funny little loop as I passed on my way between the bus stop and home.

Started to play online correspondence chess and have nine games going, which I will play sober. Plenty of books, movies, nice weather, birdsong, etc. to enjoy. I actually went to the gym yesterday after work and can do that again this weekend.

Hoping everyone has a good one!
Old 05-08-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Happy Friday evening fellow North Americans, and a very late greeting those in the UK - I'm sure everyone in Great Britain is happy to see the election coverage come to a close. That's one good thing about the end of an election, even if your choice didn't win!

A peaceful evening here. Of course, just when I thought I had gotten away from it all, I read that Krispy Kreme is opening up 17 stores in Guatemala soon. In my home town here we've also got Dunkin' Donuts, Subway, McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc, etc. etc. For cripes sakes, isn't anything off limits to big business?!?!?

Anyway, there are certainly none of those stores up here in the wilderness. Happy to be here. It's been a great week up here on the lake. Just got back from a swim, thinking about taking one of the kayaks out tomorrow morning at sunrise. I'm certainly going to at least take a water taxi over to one of the more lively towns and have lunch and kick around tomorrow, as I have a full day with nothing to do but sight-see. As for tonight, I'm going to watch a baseball game (streaming live on MLB.TV!) and a movie. Cooking up some pasta, chicken, and avocado to enjoy on the terrace here at sunset. Stay sober all - a beautiful, fun, and open Saturday morning awaits!

PS - I was thinking in the shower today (go figure) about how animals who spend a long time in a zoo often won't leave their cages, even if they are left open. A lion, tiger, rhino or camel who's spent too many years behind bars will simply be too timid to explore the outside world. A person watching them would wonder why they don't run free! But they are unable to comprehend life outside of their enclosure, and in the end they prefer to stick to the world they KNOW, even though life outside the cage would be a huge improvement. Kind of reminded me of my drinking days behind the doors of my apartment. And how I had no clue how to live my life as a sober adult. I simply could not comprehend a life without alcohol, and had no idea how to go about living outside the cage I'd created for myself.

This weekend, we gather here to celebrate our liberation from those cages. Whether it's mental, spiritual, or physical, we are finding that life outside of alcoholism is an amazing thing. For those still in that cage, or just stepping out...come join us. It's grand out here in SoberLand!
Old 05-08-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Oh yeah
Old 05-08-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Solarion, that sounds like a mighty fine evening planned. Peace and quiet and a bit of mental stimulation.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Kafka, you must ride Metra. I used to drink on the train. That was a hurdle I had to cross early on. Once I got on the train, I'd post on SR or read the paper to distract me.
Yes I do! I have heard that metra is one of the few (maybe only?) trains that still allows this. I'm only at 61 days and I've only been taking the train for a few weeks so it's an adjustment. The one good thing is seeing these people sip on their drinks for an hour or so just reminds me how mine would be gone after 5 minutes! So there's no "I'm not an alcoholic!!" thoughts justifying me buying one.

I have been reading most days to distract myself but today I couldn't. I'm glad I have all of you to help me when I'm like this. I'm also very grateful SR made a user-friendly app so I can take you all on the go with me. Lol.

Does anyone have any exciting sober plans for Mother's Day weekend? We will be going out to brunch on Sunday and I will be ordering a soda water while we are there, thank you very much!
Old 05-08-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Kafka, Metra is the best. Love sitting and watching out the window. Unfortunately, I have to drive most days. I'd buy wine on the way to the station. Early on I had to walk fast, head down and propel myself past the door of the shop. Gradually it got easier and easier. 61 days is great! Keep it up.

I'm buying plants for gifts tomorrow and I think I'm going to marinate chicken wings to bake on Sunday. Of course, I'm merely assuming my mother has no other plans on Sunday. Perhaps I should ask.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

I feel bad tonight.

There's a woman at work who I don't really like and I feel that the feeling is mutual.

Anyway I made a mistake at work today. Instead of coming to me and saying it quietly, she announced in the middle of the office "Tetra is there some reason why...?" I apologised and sent out an amended e-mail. I've seen them chop and change the list of names for the clinic up until five minutes before it's due to start but it was the way she announced it to everyone.

My dad said "don't worry. You are doing fine. The amount of times I got amended e-mails". My aunt, who is tough as nails says in life there is always one *****! Even my therapist said I'm doing really well and I worry about what people think way too much.

It's hard being at home. My sister is not easy to live with and she's having a tough time as well. My mom said to dad tonight "will we ever get through this?" His response was "of course! Don't we have a living miracle right here" and pointed at me.

Tomorrow I go shopping for a dress for my friends wedding with my mom and sister. If I can survive that, I can survive anything. I can't get the work thing out of my head though.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Tetra, it sounds like you're handling it well, but that sucks. I've found that most people who do things like that have some serious issues with themselves, and one of the ways they make themselves feel better is to make other people feel worse.

Do your best to brush it off.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Serenidad mentioning AVBS made me recall this appropriately-titled 50 year old Gem linked below. Nuffin' like Go-Go Dancers shimmyin' to shove the ole AV back down the Manhole, eh? And, slam the Lid on it. Distraction works wonders.

Intermittent Rain here like a MoFo, with up to 20" of Snow above 9,000' in the Mountains this Weekend. I just beat the Rain heading out from the Dog Park. Did some quickie Shopping, and got Homeboy Pea Soup going. It's Garlic Bagels instead of Garlic Bread.

Split Peas. Onion. Baby Carrots. Garlic. Some Ham. 'Pickapeppa' Sauce. 'Sriracha' for some Thermal Bling.

Watching SNL Reruns, and enjoying some Belly Laughs.

Tetra ~ To paraphrase what a good Pal and Boss used to say: 'Tomorrow, you'll wake up and be a nice, Sober Person, and she'll still be a Beech.' Another thought I use is along the lines of 'If something today seems so upsetting, try to remember what upset you exactly one year ago today'. Of course, most of us can't. Proving that the pungency of many situations is relegated to irrelevancy by our Friend good ole Father [or Mother] Time.-)

- 'Lies' ~ The Knickerbockers -
-
Old 05-08-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Tetra, there is always an office bully. If you've bad no other problems, just take it as a learning experience. It's absolutely not a reflection of you or your performance. A simple "thank you for pointing that out to me" should suffice. She was wrong for doing it in the center of the office and reflects poorly on her, not you. I had a supervisor who did that to me, frequently. It is hard to deal with but I'm sure your other coworkers don't think the less of YOU but of her, for picking on you.

Good luck dress shopping. You are a miracle. Never forget it
Old 05-08-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

You know, I mentioned earlier that there was nothing on TV. There isn't much but I'm watching Keeping up with the Kardashians. Oddly, I'm enjoying it. They aren't as bad as I thought. Actually, not at all. But watching the husband of one of them melting down and getting wasted on air. How painful.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Yeah I have been looking forward to this weekend for a while but I feel disinterested.
It should be a happy time. Shopping this weekend then my brother and his wife are arriving home on Thursday. Then my friends wedding and my Grandmothers 90th on Sunday week. I can't believe she will be 90 and she's still quite good. I mean she can't walk very far but her mind is still as sharp as a razor! She is also a miracle
Old 05-08-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

You know, I mentioned earlier that there was nothing on TV. There isn't much but I'm watching Keeping up with the Kardashians. Oddly, I'm enjoying it. They aren't as bad as I thought. Actually, not at all. But watching the husband of one of them melting down and getting wasted on air. How painful.
Well, they've all kind of grown up on TV, so I think the hard lessons they already learned had a calming effect on what they share in public. The older girls and the brother used to be a hot mess. Plus you've got to figure some of that high drama is scripted. It isn't all "reality."

They have incredibly good DNA
Old 05-08-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

I'm with you. I actually enjoy watching that show but I don't usually like to admit it because people have a lot of negative feelings when it's brought up. I feel bad for Scott (Kourtney's husband) because he continues to struggle with relapse and recovery and having to do it on national television. I really appreciate how supportive the whole family is though, of both him and Rob Kardashian's weaknesses.

I just got home and ate some dinner. Now I'm about to finish "Brain on Fire : My Month of Madness". It's really great to those of you haven't read it - it reminds me of how fragile life is and how things can always be worse.

Happy Friday everybody
Old 05-08-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Greetings Sober Enders!
Friday done! Let the weekend begin!
Super hot here this weekend so I am thinking a day trip to the beach tomorrow. I should do some cleaning and purging, but I can do that anytime, yes?
I hope everyone is doing well and hanging in!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Glad you made it home Kafka. Bim, they do have good DNA. I've never watched the show before. That's why I mentioned it. Kind of eye opening. I thought Khloe was pretty sharp and seems thoughtful. Wouldn't want to live my life in front of cameras though.