Notices

I quit because . . . .

Old 05-06-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I quit because "I" wanted to! For nobody else.....just me!
Yet, in doing so, I have given my son the "Sober" mom he deserves.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Initially I quit because my wife had had enough of the nightly drinking, but when I felt the effects of how good I felt being sober, I decided it was the better choice.

sp. full disclosure, I have slips now and again, but alcohol is a tiny fraction of my week or month.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I quit because I was afraid to keep drinking. I became very anxiety ridden about it. I suppose because deep down I knew I was doing harm to myself. I believe I drank enough for the rest of my life. I feel better now.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Because it was starting to take away all the good things in my life.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I couldn't be that person anymore. I lost everything and if I was going to rebuild I had to do it sober and I am.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I quit because I wanted to live
Old 05-06-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I could see the end of everything I cared about. My marriage, job, loved ones, my mind, and life were slipping through my fingers.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I quit because I was so sad.. I wanted to learn how to feel. I'm Making progress!!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I quit So I could be a better mom, wife, family member, friend and stop hating myself. At the end, every time I drank I thought about suicide. I was sick and tired of always being sick and tired. :-(
Old 05-06-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I quit because of the look in my daughters eyes when I was gone.

I quit because my body was screaming at me to stop.

I quit because I will never find my life's potential at the bottle of any bottle. I tried for 2 decades.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I quit because being hungover was making me undependable--a personality trait I really dislike. I was canceling on friends because I was too hung over or too drunk to follow through on our plans.
I've redeemed myself, I think.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I quit because i want to look people in the eye when I talk to them, and truly listen to what they have to say.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I quit because I was teetering on the edge of insanity.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I quit because my wife was scared to have our baby around me when I was a drunken mess so they both left and because I think I was going to die if I carried on, I'd finally lost any semblance of control I thought I once had.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I quit because slitting my wrists didn't work so I had to try a different option.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Chances

I quit for me.
If you quit for any other reason you may lose that reason - so you're not quitting your just having a time out
Old 05-07-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChancesAh View Post
I quit for me.
If you quit for any other reason you may lose that reason - so you're not quitting your just having a time out
Not sure I agree with this, you need to quit for the reason that works at the time, I'm quitting for my family, would not have quit if they hadn't have left, in the scenario above it says I should not have quit due to this being for them and should allow the divorce to proceed accordingly. If we divorce in the future I will still be sober and have the choice to carry on that sobriety.

People quit for all different reasons and I think doing it for your kids and family is as good a reason as any.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I quit because the “friend” I had in alcohol turned into my biggest enemy. Promising to bring me comfort and peace every time it went to it over time turned into a yoke of slavery. It made me feel powerless like I was subject to an unruly dictator.

I quit because I couldn’t stand the miserable cycle of self-loathing and violation of conscience that hammered me instantly upon awaking from the prior days/nights abuse. Waking up not remembering the night before became all too scary.

I quit because in past periods of sobriety my joy of life and sense of humor returns quickly while I’m abstaining. I can spend a day with the family while sworn off of alcohol not preoccupied with planning an escape route of when and where I’m going to get that 1st, 2nd, 3rd , etc…….drink

I quit because although I was very successful (externally) at appearing to be sober and in control when in fact I was blitzed and beyond legally drunk I have grown tired of the charade.

A few quick thoughts which could be further developed into a list 10x as long
Old 05-07-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thirdwave View Post
I quit because the “friend” I had in alcohol turned into my biggest enemy. Promising to bring me comfort and peace every time it went to it over time turned into a yoke of slavery. It made me feel powerless like I was subject to an unruly dictator. I quit because I couldn’t stand the miserable cycle of self-loathing and violation of conscience that hammered me instantly upon awaking from the prior days/nights abuse. Waking up not remembering the night before became all too scary. I quit because in past periods of sobriety my joy of life and sense of humor returns quickly while I’m abstaining. I can spend a day with the family while sworn off of alcohol not preoccupied with planning an escape route of when and where I’m going to get that 1st, 2nd, 3rd , etc…….drink I quit because although I was very successful (externally) at appearing to be sober and in control when in fact I was blitzed and beyond legally drunk I have grown tired of the charade. A few quick thoughts which could be further developed into a list 10x as long

You nailed it all
Old 05-07-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I took a break because it was affecting my health. I quit because taking a break almost killed me and snapped me out of denial. I stay quit because life is so much better this way.