SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sobriety, a never ending adventure... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366545-sobriety-never-ending-adventure.html)

Gottalife 05-06-2015 01:50 PM

Sobriety, a never ending adventure...

I thought I would share this in the newcomers forum because I so often read the misconception that sobriety in AA must be dull and difficult, involves endless meetings, dependence on a sponsor, and if I stop meetings I will drink.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Though not in the least bit religious, I worked the steps and found a higher power that makes sense to me and provides a 24/7 defence aginst the first drink, regardless of meetings or sponsors.

A few days back we left NZ and sailed in our little yacht to New Caledonia. Quite a hair raising trip, a good look at the power of nature. It took just under seven days for the thousand mile journey, just my partner and I, and on the last night we were treated to a full gale just of the reefs on the western coast.

On the way up I looked out to the left and waved out to Dee, who was about a thousand miles down wind. :)

So we arrive in NewCal, where they speak French, drink a lot, and there is no AA! Yet I am fine. through the trials of the voyage, and now in a country where there is no AA and lots of drinking, I still feel safe and protected, the drink problem has stayed removed.

This isn't the first time I have been away from my AA group, I have been free to travel many times without thinking about drinking or not drinking for that matter. The way I have learned to live and the faith I have developed through such experiences, has made me much more independent and free than I ever expected.

It's great to be sober and free. If you are new, I hope you will find what I found:)

Soberwolf 05-06-2015 01:56 PM

Awesome post

PurpleKnight 05-06-2015 01:56 PM

Great post Mike!! :)

site1Q84 05-06-2015 02:12 PM

Great post! And I agree. While it may work for many that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. You have to find what works for YOU and stick with that.

Gottalife 05-06-2015 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by site1Q84 (Post 5357351)
Great post! And I agree. While it may work for many that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. You have to find what works for YOU and stick with that.

I hope I didn't mislead you. I am still an active AA member. My point is that it is possible to recover through the twelve steps without becoming a prisoner of the fellowship. Go anywhere, do anything that free people can do. True freedom.

Fly N Buy 05-06-2015 06:04 PM

Strong post!

Thanks for the inspiration. When I quit I knew I'd miss a room full of drunks - quit the paradox. Then I went to AA!!

Now I can soberly visit with my new friends and proud to say they are some of the worst drunks in town!!

Ha!
Glad your here with us.......thanks for the post

Mountainmanbob 05-06-2015 06:16 PM

Sobriety is awesome.

For they say --
don't leave before the miracle happens.

MM

Mountainmanbob 05-06-2015 06:17 PM

Sobriety is awesome.

For they say --
don't leave before the miracle happens.

MM

Wholesome 05-06-2015 08:39 PM

Jelly!

Dee74 05-06-2015 09:51 PM

On the way up I looked out to the left and waved out to Dee, who was about a thousand miles down wind.
I thought that was you, GL :)
Have a great time :)

D