SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Yes, it can kill you (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366516-yes-can-kill-you.html)

Change4good 05-06-2015 07:59 AM

Yes, it can kill you

I went to an AA meeting last week, and my home group was told that a member had died. He relapsed, and called his sponsor. His sponsor told him to pour everything down the drain, and just not pick up.

He did that, and died from what they believe was a stroke during withdrawal. He didn't have the means or help to get to detox. His sponsor was out of state.

Friends, I understand and support when we tell people, "Just stop. Dump it out." But it comes with risks, and we need to be aware of that. I don't know the right answer or right approach, and I am sure someone can offer something here.

I guess my point is that we need to be careful with this advice given certain circumstances.

Soberwolf 05-06-2015 08:03 AM

Of course but i always see ppl on SR saying to ER or ring a Dr that go with dumping it out

bigsombrero 05-06-2015 08:07 AM

So sorry to hear this. I myself suffered withdrawal seizures when I attempted quitting. It came out of the blue and I had absolutely no idea why they happened. Only after my 2nd seizure did I realize that they had been caused by alcohol withdrawal. Most alcoholics who are physically addicted like I was (and like the one you describe from AA) are often completely incapable or unaware of the danger they are in. This is as good of a reminder as any: if you're getting the morning shakes, DTs, tremors, or drinking heavily - please see a doctor and keep all detox options on the table.

Change4good 05-06-2015 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by soberwolf (Post 5356757)
Of course but i always see ppl on SR saying to ER or ring a Dr that go with dumping it out

Yes, but there are lots of people that don't have the luxury of "ringing a doctor." At least not here. I am not trying to be snarky or mean spirited. I guess when I hear that advice, when we say, "call YOUR doctor," it rings hollow because a lot of folks don't have that.

Again,I don't know the right answer, and I am heartsick about this loss. I wish the sponsor had driven back, and helped this man get medical support. He wanted sobriety desperately.

hopeful4 05-06-2015 08:09 AM

I guess I have a different opinion here. If he could pick up the phone to call his sponsor, why not call 911 and summons an ambulance??

What a shame, I am very sorry for your loss.

Change4good 05-06-2015 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by hopeful4 (Post 5356772)
I guess I have a different opinion here. If he could pick up the phone to call his sponsor, why not call 911 and summons an ambulance??

What a shame, I am very sorry for your loss.

Perhaps pride and ignorance about withdrawal. I can't presume to know what happened. It just scared the hell out of me.

Ruby2 05-06-2015 08:16 AM

It's always a feeling of hollow loss when an AA group member dies. It diminishes us all because it's a stark reminder of what could happen and what hasn't happened - yet.

I'm sorry for your loss.

ScottFromWI 05-06-2015 08:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's certainly tragic.

hopeful4 05-06-2015 08:19 AM

Yes, I can completely understand that. I think that's why unless you are a medical doctor it's best to tell someone if they are worried or have been drinking heavily and are at risk to seek medical help. That's why we don't give advise on this board for medical issues, they should adopt the same at AA.

Truly, I am so sorry for your loss. Addiction robs way too many.

Originally Posted by Change4good (Post 5356778)
Perhaps pride and ignorance about withdrawal. I can't presume to know what happened. It just scared the hell out of me.

PurpleKnight 05-06-2015 08:20 AM

Very sorry for your loss!!

Obviously it depends on the person, if someone is new to SR after years of drinking or in a bad way coming off a 3 week binge that person would be best seeking medical treatment.

However the person who has relapsed for the 4th time with weeks in between of Sobriety, an early night and some fluids/food, whilst pouring the rest out, will steady the ship.

Very sad nonetheless, a reminder that alcohol is a serious business!! :(

SarahB60 05-06-2015 08:34 AM

This is a very tragic story that should've never happened. Personally, I would never recommend someone detoxing on their own.

With each relapse, w/d's tend to be worse. I medically detoxed this last time around (#3 detox) and I went through hell. The third day, my limbs were shaking uncontrollably, BP skyrocketed to high levels and I was pumped up with Serax. The first detox I did in 15 years ago was an absolute piece of cake to my last detox.

I echo Purplenight - alcohol is no joke!!

Coldfusion 05-06-2015 08:49 AM

I think we also need to be mindful of telling people to "Just call 911." This can lead to a $1,000 ambulance bill and a $10,000 hospital bill, and may have life-changing consequences. Sometimes a quick search can find local, no-cost detox programs.

Change4good 05-06-2015 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Coldfusion (Post 5356853)
I think we also need to be mindful of telling people to "Just call 911." This can lead to a $1,000 ambulance bill and a $10,000 hospital bill, and may have life-changing consequences. Sometimes a quick search can find local, no-cost detox programs.

Yes. I have seen this happen, and alcoholics in my area know that if you don't have insurance, you will have to pay a hefty sum of money. And money is scarce when you are in the throes of this disease.

GracieLou 05-06-2015 09:08 AM

I am sorry for your loss. I know how is feels to lose a fellow AA member because they have gone back out.

Originally Posted by Coldfusion (Post 5356853)

I would think calling 911 constitutes an emergency and that a life or death situation is at hand. The medical bill would not be a consideration at that time, at least not for me. I don't want to die thinking at least I won't have a doctor bill.

It is sad that people die from alcoholism. I had two people close to me die before I got sober and several that I knew in the rooms of AA , it is always heartbreaking. The last one I knew that died had done so much damage in his short life that he fell over dead in a snow pile at the age of 26, he was four months sober.

I am not sure how long the person you refer to had been drinking or how much they drank. It is hard for a sponsor to know this. I drank a half gallon of whiskey every two days yet had very mild withdrawal compared to some that drank less then me and less often than me.

There is no way to know what their body can handle and that is why medical detox is suggested. Not only can they supply the drugs to make the process easier physically and mentally, there are people on hand in case of an emergency.

I don't see the sponsor to blame here. As cold as it may sound, the only person to blame for this type of death is the alcoholic.

So many think they can go another round and come back. Some sadly never make it back.

Dee74 05-06-2015 02:28 PM

I'm sorry for your friend Change. I've lost people too.

Which is why I agree with Gracie - I'd rather be poor than dead.

Most of you know I had mini strokes. I was lucky - but if I'd sought medical intervention sooner I might not have the number of health problems I do today.

There are many of us here who are mindful of the dangers of detox. I think by and large we're responsible with our posts and our advice here. We even have a rule for it :)

D

sugarbear1 05-06-2015 07:32 PM

Thanks for posting this!

We really can't predict how anyone will react when we suggest they dump out what they have.

Seeing a medical professional is always the best choice for detoxing!

Serenidad 05-06-2015 08:17 PM

I too know a girl who died trying to detox off alcohol at home by herself. So sad. :-( Very dangerous too!