Notices

How to deal with withdrawal

Old 05-06-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to deal with withdrawal

Hi, I'm new.

I want to stop drinking but am finding it difficult. I start university in September (ironically as a trainee nurse) but until then I am working an unfulfilling job with antisocial hours. I'm quite heavily addicted; I get the shakes if I don't have a drink in the morning and suffer from anxiety when I've gone more than 12 hours without a drink. However I am intelligent enough to know I need to stop, but I would like to know how other people deal with withdrawal. If I were rich I'd stick myself in rehab, but I ain't..
Old 05-06-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What's your diet like? Do you eat often & healthy?

In all honesty, it would be best to get checked out by a doctor. However, I've personally found a healthy diet is key to reducing withdrawal symptoms. That's only for me personally though, and may not work for everyone.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I eat terribly, mainly because I have no appetite. I know I should eat but the food doesn't go down. I am taking a Vitamin B supplement because I am terrified of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome.

It's weird, I know plenty about the physical damage alcohol causes and it doesn't seem to bother me. It's the mental damage that scares me.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Asdfg if you spk to a gp or go to a hospital they will help

Really glad you found us
Old 05-06-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know, everyone's body is different, so you should probably get a check up from a doctor.

For me at least, I know the times I waited until my body shut down to detox (ie. hadn't eaten in days), I would have horrible withdrawal symptoms. On the flip side, if I planned the detox, and ensured to eat good, healthy food several days prior, then my withdrawals were no where near as bad.

Again, that's just me personally, and your mileage may vary. Everyone's body is different.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing to do if you are concerned about withdrawals is to talk to your dr who can advise you on how to manage. Detoxing from alcohol can be tricky so it's a good idea to be cautious.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing to do if you are concerned about withdrawals is to talk to your dr who can advise you on how to manage. Detoxing from alcohol can be tricky so it's a good idea to be cautious.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

I can just echo the go see your Dr. and be blatantly honest. The appetite is not likely there, because there is a constant drink/detox cycle and the anxiety causes a loss of appetite. The Dr. can give you medication that will relieve the detox symptoms AND it will also help with the appetite. For me diet is also extremely important. Complex carbs and good sources of protein are important. Contrary to some guidance avoid simple carbs/sugars as though these may relieve cravings momentarily, they mimic adding alcohol to your system and the cravings come back with a vengeance. Alcohol is a simple carb, so some of the withdrawal is not just withdrawal from alcohol, but from the constant peaks and valleys of blood sugar. A doctor can help you. Over the years I have detoxed multiple times and there is absolutely not shame in seeing your Doctor for help and is recommended. The other way from experience is not fun and often one looks for "relief".
Old 05-06-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never detoxed on my own except for the last time after I had relapsed and wasn't so heavily in yet. The prior two times I did hospital detox. It was well worth it. The time I did it myself, however, I did see my doctor, told her what I was doing, and got medication to help.

My doctor was aware of my alcoholism as she happened to coincidentally be the duty doctor when I checked myself in to detox the second time.

If you see your doctor, be completely honest! They can't help if you don't share. And believe me, they've seen it all. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Asdfg!!