Notices

Guess What Day It Is?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sixo de Mayo, and garbage day here. Also recycling day, but I didn't get anything together for the bins today. Completely understand about the embarrassing clangor.

Most of the beer cans and wine bottles have been recycled. Still have a bunch of other cans and bottles to be disposed of ... eventually.

Part of my weekends and evenings will be spent on chess sites as well as SR, to exercise my brainz. I ought to clean up my Havishamesque abandoned house and get out and about once in a while, too.

Reading about setbacks and horror stories on SR helps, as well as keeping company with the successfully sober.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me "hump day" is generally the end of my weekend. My equivalent of others' Sunday. It used to be spent mostly horizontally, so hungover (still drunk?) that I could hardly stand up. I'd tell myself that I can't drink today, need to recover so I can show up to work on Thursday. Well, maybe just a couple to kill the pain. Maybe a couple more then I'll take a nap. And, of course, it would end up with me floating in and out of consciousness, lifting my head off the pillow just enough to put some more vodka down my throat. Jeez...writing this stuff down really helps me to see the insanity of it!

I didn't recycle. I would miss a week or two of trash pickup and there would be empty vodka bottles all over my apartment. When I would finally decide to get rid of a few I'd make sure that no trash bag ever had more than 2 bottles, because I didn't want them to clink. Because, yeah, clinking bottles was the problem. Again, writing this with my face in my palm, figuratively. What madness we allow ourselves to live in!

I did recycle beer bottles and cans, but that was only because of the 5 cent deposit. And also, there was no way to dispose of all those bottles and cans w/o looking like there was a party at my place every night.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'll tell you what's sad TS. When I was preparing to dispose of my trophies, if I could see a few drops collected at the bottom of the bottle I would stand like an idiot trying to get those last few drops - couldn't waste it. Imagine standing holding an empty bottle for a couple minutes just to get those few drops... madness.
And it's not like I couldn't afford to get more. I wasn't throwing out a few drops of good wisk of vod, no way.
Talk about picking the trash for no good reason in my own garage.
That there is effed up.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Brain, I'd do the same thing. Funny how we were so careful to actually recycle the bottles and waste not, want not with the dregs of the bottles while we slowly and carelessly threw away our lives. It is madness.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

This is a good thread. Recycling day is Thursday here and I just could not deal with even the idea so what I would do is wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning, go to a neighborhood church and recycle my empties in their bin then creep back home.
On the plus side, I always made sure to rinse off my cans so they would not stink off the church's bin and because it is the way we are supposed to recycle.
It so nice not to have to set up my alarm clock for the dead of the night at least twice a week.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Today is also my "Sunday," and I'm about to go on to my fourth cup of coffee. Wednesday NEXT WEEK is recycling day, we get pickup once a month. I need to spend some time today smashing seltzer bottles so they will all fit in the recycling bins
Old 05-06-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great post LBRAIN thank you.

My block of flats has communal recycling so I would have to sneak down at odd hours so people couldn't see how many empties I was piling in.

These days we have six bins to choose from - Paper
Plastic
Metal
Glass
Food
Other
Old 05-06-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Saoutchik! Good to see you!

They've changed our recycling since I bought my house. We now have actual dedicated blue plastic bins. Before, we placed our recycling into large blue plastic trash bags which commingled with the regular trash. I always felt like Bad Santa as I carried my haul of empties over my shoulder to the trash.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Michigan deposit is ten cents per bottle or can. With the amount of beer I drank on the weekends, it was more like a tax refund.

"Come on, come on, come on...get through it" ...the week that is. You can do it, newcomers!

Old 05-06-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Brain,
I can relate to the 'last drops'.
Ever use the toothpick trick?
Never mind.

Recycling story:
I would place my empty bottle(s)
in the empty Amazon boxes I
had lying around from receiving
packages I didn't even remember ordering.
Then place the box in a garbage bag.

I think I've said enough.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

newguy, you reminded me of when we used to go huntin 'up north'. By the end of the week the beer can tree had enough empties for a another + case - and there was only three of us. 4 actually if you count me twice,
I'd drop a couple hundy at the pink store just on recyclables.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

As I live on my own, my bottles were put in a container in my kitchen, and then taken out to the bin (blue bin for glass ) once a week!!

But before I would bring them out to the trash, I'd pour out all those final drops in them to make at least one final shot every week!! . . . madness!!

. . . and again not like I wasn't able to buy more, but the idea of wasting those drops was a real thing!!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

As I live on my own, my bottles were put in a container in my kitchen, and then taken out to the bin (blue bin for glass ) once a week!!
and you were not worried about the neighbors and the sanitation workers counting them or the neighborhood bum going dumpster diving and finding out?
What kind of alcoholic were you?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Haha . . . well I did do this bin run at night, it was all very cloak and dagger remembering back!!

Though I was usually inebriated from that particular evening's drinking!!
Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm another who went for cans instead of bottles.. far less noisy.

Even now it gets me sometimes- when I drink water in glass bottles I think everyone will hear and think I'm a drunk!