SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   new here - 3rd real attempt to quit (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366465-new-here-3rd-real-attempt-quit.html)

LiberatedStorm 05-05-2015 05:36 PM

new here - 3rd real attempt to quit

Hi Everyone. I've been lurking here for at least a year. I've read tons of stories and have seen the tremendous amount of support that is given here. I've realized that I can do this on my own. It's time to get involved and to get and give support.

I have been a heavy beer drinker for about 5 years. Easily averaging 18 beers a day, each and every day. I finally knew that I had to stop drinking and I chose 2/1/15 as my date. I had my ups and downs, but things slowly got better. Before I knew it, 45 days had passed without me having any alcohol whatsoever. It felt great. I felt healthier and my family relationships dramatically improved.

Then it happened. I got over confident and talked myself into believing I had reached a point where I could handle having a drink socially. That one drink led to a 3 day beer binge. I was disgusted with myself, but I soon started a new non drinking streak that lasted a few weeks. It, of course, was ruined by the exact same thing. I had hoped that nobody in my family had noticed either binge drinking episode because they had all been so proud of me. Nobody mentioned anything to me about it at least.

I am currently on day 7 of my third real attempt to quit drinking beer. I wish I could say that its easier, but it isn't. It feels great to be sober though. The last few months have taught me a lot about myself and about this addiction. You can't let your guard down for even one second. I now know that I need this forum and I also want to help others beat their addictions. I need a place to vent where others have been through it before and are still going through it.

My anxiety and stress are currently off the charts on this third attempt. I am just taking it one minute at a time these days.

sleepie 05-05-2015 05:54 PM

Hi LiberatedStorm. Glad you are still trying and that you found the forum :) You will find a lot of support and helpful reading here. You can do this :)

site1Q84 05-05-2015 05:55 PM

Welcome! Glad you decided to join us.

At least with each attempt you're figuring out what isn't working for you. If every set back has been set off by social drinking situations, maybe you need to avoid them a little longer until you're more confident in your sobriety?

Coming here is another great step. It's only crazy if you keep trying the same thing over and over without adding anything additional to help you.

Dee74 05-05-2015 05:58 PM

Welcome to the posting side of things LS :)

D

gettingsmarter 05-05-2015 06:07 PM

Hey Liberated welcome.

Anna 05-05-2015 06:17 PM

I'm glad you decided to post and I hope you continue to read and post here. SR can be really helpful as you continue your recovery.

Hevyn 05-05-2015 06:22 PM

It's great to meet you LS. You're in good company. :)

MIRecovery 05-05-2015 06:29 PM

You may wish to formulate a sobriety plan that uses outside support especially after trying to do it on your own did not work out well.

For me I simply couldn't do it on my own

least 05-05-2015 06:34 PM

:welcome

I hope the awesome support here can help you get sober for good. :)

LiberatedStorm 05-05-2015 06:42 PM

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. I plan to hang around this place for a very long time.

PurpleKnight 05-05-2015 06:45 PM

Welcome to the Forum!! :wave: