SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366449-new-here.html)

Tc131 05-05-2015 01:23 PM

New here

Hi, I'm new here and not really sure if this is the best forum to post this, but here goes. I'm a 28 year old gay man. I've had a great job doing exactly what I want to do for the past two years. However, bipolar disorder got the better of me and I decided to move back on with my parents until my health gets sorted out. When I went through episodes of mania I would do things that I'm still too guilty to admit. Drinking and drug use got out of control and I found myself unable to stop. For the first few months of living with my parents I didn't drink at all. Then I began drinking lightly socially. But in a period of 4 months that's gone to almost every time I drink I end up using a drug of some sort and do insanely irrational things usually humiliating myself at a gay bar. I get waisted almost every time I drink even though it's once a week at most now. I don't feel a desire to drink, but when I start I can't stop. I'm sick of ruining relationships and living a life where nothing is stable and I'm slowly destroying myself. After a long talk with my family I've decided to do whatever it takes to get and remain sober. I'm not really sure what label to put on myself. Alcoholic? Problem drinker? No mater what it has to stop for my and my family's sake. I'm new to the idea of viewing myself as either sober or in recovery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ruby2 05-05-2015 01:35 PM

Hi tc, welcome to SR. I don't think it matters what label you put on the issue, alcoholic or problem drinker. What matters is that it's causing you pain in your life every time you drink.

The first step is realizing that it's a problem and that you want to stop. Check out the site, there's lot of resources available. Hang in there.

mecanix 05-05-2015 01:41 PM

Hello TC ,
lots of good advice and reading here to help you figure stuff out , look forwards to seeing you round ,

Bestwishes, m

IOAA2 05-05-2015 01:41 PM

HI. AND WELCOME.
No matter what name is put on it I’m afflicted with the same problem.
It took me a long time to get honest with myself about my drinking and then accept the fact that I cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row.
Alcohol is powerful, cunning, baffling and insidious. Alcoholism is progressive and is never cured, just halted if we discontinue it intake.

I would suggest Gay meetings if there in your area to be in touch with people who understand alcoholics. If none in your area regular meetings are also very good for the same reason.

BE WELL

PurpleKnight 05-05-2015 01:47 PM

Welcome to the Forum Tc!! :wave:

INgal 05-05-2015 02:21 PM

Welcome, tc and stick around! There are a lot of great resources and amazing people here!

lesly 05-05-2015 02:28 PM

Hi tc welcome! You have great support here at SR.

SoberLeigh 05-05-2015 02:29 PM

Welcome to SR, Tc; glad you found us.

gettingsmarter 05-05-2015 02:35 PM

Welcome Tc131.

Soberwolf 05-05-2015 02:39 PM

Hello & Welcome Tc

Hevyn 05-05-2015 04:05 PM

Good to have you with us tc.

I was the same way - every time it was in my system I was transformed into someone I didn't recognize. I did many out of character things while under the influence - and in the end it was dangerous. The only way to prevent this was to stop all together. I never knew where that first drink would take me. I think being here with others who understand will really help. Happy to meet you.

Summerrain 05-05-2015 04:12 PM

I am new too and am looking forward to finding motivation and support through the many forums! It looks like an awesome resource.

Dee74 05-05-2015 04:44 PM

Hi tc :)

I agree with you and the others who said no matter what you call it, it needs to stop :)

You'll find a lot of support and good ideas here :)

D

least 05-05-2015 05:14 PM

Welcome to the family! :) We're here to support you in your goal of getting sober. Lean on us if you need to. :hug:

Iconoclastic 05-05-2015 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tc131 (Post 5355346)
Hi, I'm new here and not really sure if this is the best forum to post this, but here goes. I'm a 28 year old gay man. I've had a great job doing exactly what I want to do for the past two years. However, bipolar disorder got the better of me and I decided to move back on with my parents until my health gets sorted out. When I went through episodes of mania I would do things that I'm still too guilty to admit. Drinking and drug use got out of control and I found myself unable to stop. For the first few months of living with my parents I didn't drink at all. Then I began drinking lightly socially. But in a period of 4 months that's gone to almost every time I drink I end up using a drug of some sort and do insanely irrational things usually humiliating myself at a gay bar. I get waisted almost every time I drink even though it's once a week at most now. I don't feel a desire to drink, but when I start I can't stop. I'm sick of ruining relationships and living a life where nothing is stable and I'm slowly destroying myself. After a long talk with my family I've decided to do whatever it takes to get and remain sober. I'm not really sure what label to put on myself. Alcoholic? Problem drinker? No mater what it has to stop for my and my family's sake. I'm new to the idea of viewing myself as either sober or in recovery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are AA meetings designated gay, just as there are AA stag meetings and meetings exclusively for women. Of course there are many diverse AA meetings that everyone attends regardless of sexual preference. There are open AA meetings, open for anyone to attend whether alcoholic or not.

I’m not gay, but have helped gay men in the AA fellowship over the years with their recovery, by sharing my experience with the dynamics of the 12 Steps. The 12 steps is self-examination and is the suggested program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Some that have attended AA meetings have found out that they’re not alcoholic, but they still benefited from the 12 Steps, this might be your case. The basic tents of the 12 Steps are 1000’s of years old, so the Steps are not exclusively for alcoholics or addicts, anyone can benefit from the Steps.