SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Let my friend drink tonight instead of me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366397-let-my-friend-drink-tonight-instead-me.html)

Scared1234 05-05-2015 12:40 AM

Let my friend drink tonight instead of me

Hello all,

Decided to hang out tonight with a good drinking friend of mine. He was drinking his beers while I sat there and drank my sugary colas lol. I wanted to see if I could do that. Meet up with a friend who I ALWAYS drink with...and then just not drink!. It turned out to be not as "fun" as being all sloppy, loud and buzzed; however, I HAD A REALLY GOOD TIME AND DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR IT TOMORROW! My anxiety/panic during hangovers won't be there TOMORROW! My liver will wake up with me TOMORROW and feel just as good as I do!

I know alot of people here are like me. We hate the drink but it does such a good job of making you feel good. I just met up with a drinking partner, abstained, and I feel quite good right now knowing I got to do something with my evening, had some good jokes, had some good laughs, and now I can get some good sleep in and be productive tomorrow.

Its moments like tonight that remind me why I am fighting for sobriety.

This feels good :)

MarathonMan 05-05-2015 12:45 AM

Glad you handled the night well but if I were you I wouldn't point a loaded gun at your sobriety to often in the early days. Next time the compulsion might grab hold of you and refuse to let go.

There are several times when I've lost periods of sobriety after being a pub situation, often after having been in the same situation several times without incident.

Not taking away from your achievement of handling yourself well just be careful of testing yourself early on.

PurpleKnight 05-05-2015 06:12 AM

Great job on pushing through Scared!! :scoregood

saoutchik 05-05-2015 06:14 AM

Well done scared

While I agree with MM about being careful about getting in tha situation it is probably a good thing to know that you don't have to live like a monk as we are a social species

ScottFromWI 05-05-2015 06:34 AM

I felt the need to "prove" to myself that I could hang out around my old drinking buddies and not drink too, and I did. After a couple of times though I realized that it was pretty boring and really not a very good use of my time. The world is full of activities and people that don't involve drinking alcohol. In fact, I've found that most things do NOT involve alcohol. It just seems like that to an alcoholic because we seek those types of places and people out.

Soberwolf 05-05-2015 06:46 AM

Congrats Scared

Cauliflower 05-05-2015 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 5354708)
I felt the need to "prove" to myself that I could hang out around my old drinking buddies and not drink too, and I did. After a couple of times though I realized that it was pretty boring and really not a very good use of my time. The world is full of activities and people that don't involve drinking alcohol. In fact, I've found that most things do NOT involve alcohol. It just seems like that to an alcoholic because we seek those types of places and people out.

I totally agree with this Scott. I think as I move forward, I will find that I made alcohol the center of all events, and it's not. Life goes on with a clear head and no remorse or hangover afterwards!

Anna 05-05-2015 08:27 AM

I agree with Scott, too.

Alcohol does not have to be the center-point of your life. Why not seek out people, places and activities where you can have fun, enjoy life and not have to think about alcohol?

SoberCAH 05-05-2015 10:57 AM

I agree with Scott.

There is a whole world full of fun and meaningful things to do and enjoy which do not involve my being drunk.

I work hard at what I do, and i have a lot of fun when I am not working.

I won't be out at a Mexican restaurant tonight celebrating Cinco de Mayo, but I went to a NASCAR race last weekend, I go to concerts and plays all the time, I go to baseball and football games, and I just go home and read, also.

Life is good to say the least.

All I had to give up was the dark taverns which drew me in like a moth to a flame.