Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Finally lost our house....at least it's not because of drinking!

Notices

Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So just a quick background to this story. Before I lived in Las Vegas my family and lived in a city near Phoenix, AZ. At the time I was with my company for about 12 years. I met my wife in Phoenix, bought our first house, had a child together and got married. So 2012 comes around and I get told I'm being laid off well everyone is around June and our last day is December 21st. The amount of time they gave for a notice was the only thing good about this. They offered a good severance package and I had a ton of vacation time stored up. All good right? Nope! December 21st is our last day before the doors are closed for good, so on my last day we say our good byes and I go meet my wife for lunch at her job. So she comes out and I see this strange look on her face and she proceeds to tell me "I just got fired". So let me get this straight I just got laid off a few hours ago and now you're telling me you just got fired. Unbelievable right? Gets better...A few days later I get word that not only did we get laid off but the entire company is now going bankrupt. Goodbye severance, goodbye all of my saved up vacation time..Good timing just before xmas!

A few months later I get offered a job in Las Vegas I take it and we move. We decide to rent our house out instead of sell it. Things were good for a while with our renters. We used a rental company to manage the property all good right...nope. I'll try to make this short...let's just say it didn't work out with them after about 6 months of it being perfect. The couple in our house got a divorce and the husband moved to Cali. They broke our garage door which they never said anything about, their dog they weren't supposed to have wrecked our carpets etc. Nightmare. Meanwhile they paid the rent so late it made us late with our mortgage payments. We got them out of there and got new tenants. At this point the house has gained a great amount of equity. Let's sell it. Can't...gotta get a loan modification. About 9 months go by dealing with it and our tenants move out so the house is vacant. My mother in law is kind enough to make payments for us on the soon to be new loan modification until we sell the house. Lot's of red tape in between so cutting to the chase so I don't make this longer.

Loan modification denied after all these months...what? In law says well request a reinstatement of the old loan and she would pay the balance and we'd just pay her back once the house sold because of the equity. So this morning the house was officially foreclosed on since our mortgage company did not want to extend and give us time to pay it.

I'm 24 days sober and to be honest I'm glad the house is gone. I wish under better circumstances, but it's one less thing we have to worry about. No drinking away anything here. We miss our old house for sure, but drinking isn't going to unforeclose the house if that's even a word.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a stressful time you've had!! Well done on keeping drink out of the equation.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you for sharing your story.

And huge congrats on 24 days sober!
Old 05-05-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about the hassles but I'm glad it didn't drive you back to the bottle! I hope things improve for you soon.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that you had all those headaches. That's a lot. Your mother in law sounds like a kind person. Onwards and upwards though. Can it be a fresh start?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear of all your stress!!

24 Days is fantastic though!!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow--sorry to hear about all of this.

I am really inspired that you and your family have been through all this stress and you have stayed sober. When life happens: that's definitely when the rubber hits the road.

Take care. Hoping that things smooth out soon.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry for your current situation Congrats on day 24
Old 05-05-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That was tough Getright you have done great not to drink. I hope you get some breaks soon.

Congratulations on 24 days
Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 24! Sorry about your house struggles... You are right, drinking won't create a better situation no matter how you look at it. It will only bring you down.

Good job on staying sober through this.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So sorry you lost your house, but it seems you're taking it all in stride and using it as a positive thing, which is awesome.

Love the title of this thread by the way!
Old 05-05-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a wonderful way to look at things! Way to go! Your absolutely right nothing in a bottle is going to bring it back and its one less stress to worry about.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you for not drinking over this.