Notices

Finally a little progress!

Old 05-04-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally a little progress!

Just wanted to take a minute to toot my own horn... I had my first sober weekend in years! At times, I honestly wasn't sure I'd make it, but I did & I feel great about it!! I staved off cravings by finally getting things done that I'd been too lethargic or drunk to do in the past - like cleaning out the garage. And, most importantly, I spent real quality time with my kids. I can't believe I allowed myself to get to the point of becoming numb to the joy they bring in my life. I'm so grateful for the brief sobriety I've experienced the past few days. It hasn't been easy, but my God, has it been worth it!

I'm still viewing this as "one day at a time", but I am allowing myself to look forward & be excited about reaching my 1 week milestone on Wednesday. Does anyone else have tips on what they do to silence the cravings that come up? At this point, I'll run out of projects around the house pretty quick :-)
Old 05-04-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
Does anyone else have tips on what they do to silence the cravings that come up? At this point, I'll run out of projects around the house pretty quick :-)
I came on here, I went to AA meetings, I learned about alcoholism by reading the BB and articles online.

Most of the spare time I had was spent in recovery in some way. I had to keep it at the front of my mind so I didn't spend to much time in my own head, I could talk myself into a drink without even trying.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First weekend of many!! Fantastic stuff Hedgehog!!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done
Old 05-04-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
I'll run out of projects around the house pretty quick :-)
Congrats (!), but the sad news is you'll never run out of house projects. Like death and taxes, home projects are our destiny.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done Hedgehog.

I expect you can find more stuff to do around the house (especially as you have kids).😊

One thing I started doing in the evening which is when my cravings would hit was to go for a walk. I never have any thoughts of drinking while I'm walking or jogging.

PS it also helps to burn off the extra calories that most people consume in the first few weeks
Old 05-04-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantastic job HH.

Good for you, keep up the great work.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, gang. I'm honestly not one to boast often, but I guess I'm just thankful to have something to be proud of for the first time in a while. Thanks again for the support!