SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Finally going to a doctor (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366262-finally-going-doctor.html)

soberlife123 05-03-2015 07:54 AM

Finally going to a doctor

Nervous :(

soberlife123 05-03-2015 08:08 AM

Tumble weeds go by lol....

SoberLeigh 05-03-2015 08:09 AM

((((soberlife)))); it's going to be okay.

BbC 05-03-2015 08:10 AM

I felt nervous and ashamed when I finally went to a doctor. I'm assuming it's to check on the state of your bodily functions/organs/vital signs, etc?. This is what I learned after I got my results: so-oooooo much damage can be reversed! It takes A LOT of TLC, but you can get yourself back on track! Bring a friend when you get your results, too, because the information and guidance can be overwhelming.

ScottFromWI 05-03-2015 08:17 AM

I was nervous too, until I got there and realized they are there to help. Be honest, there is nothing you can say that they haven't heard before. You will be in good hands.

soberlife123 05-03-2015 08:36 AM

I'm here to ask for medication to. Help w cravings I don't want to live like this anymore I don't have any health problems yet (minus this addiction ;) ) ironically the doctor is right beside a brewery.

MariahGayle 05-03-2015 08:48 AM

Glad you are going to the Doc SL....sending good thoughts your way!

soberlife123 05-03-2015 08:51 AM

Waiting waiting in the waiting room lol

Berrybean 05-03-2015 09:07 AM

Glad you decided to go. How did you get on?

soberlife123 05-03-2015 09:32 AM

It went awfully the doctor to.d me I wasn't serious about getting sober and told me it was my own fault i was in this situation I am crying my eyes out outside

soberlife123 05-03-2015 09:34 AM

He said he was sick and tired of people like me all I had asked for was something to help w the cravings campral :( I cant u derstine how a doctor could be like that I was completely honest and I was just completely humiliated

soberlife123 05-03-2015 09:35 AM

Understand sorry typing furiously on my ipad

DuhDave 05-03-2015 09:47 AM

That "Doctor" should be reported to the licensing boards...and any other authorties that will "jerk" him back in line!

I know I would...because I have !

It's obvious he has forgotten all about an Oath he took.

DD

Berrybean 05-03-2015 09:49 AM

Soberlife. I had the same kind of experience. Luckily my boss referred me for counselling the very next day. (I'm in the UK - presumably you're not, or you wouldn't be getting to see a doctor today - so I don't know if that's possible for you either.

Looking back, I'm not sure I explained myself very well to him as I was in such a state, and neither of us (me or the doctor) understood what I wanted him to do or say. I wished (in hindsight) that I had tried a different doctor, and made sure that I had everything written down that I wanted to tell them so that could def be no misunderstandings. At the time was all over the place. Angry; embarrassed; confused; frustrated. I was also tempted to waste emotional energy on forming resentments about the Doctor and his treatment of me. These are all triggers. Please try not to drink on this. That won't help you. You need to stay as calm as possible so that you can look after yourself and think about what the next course of action should be.

Sending *hugs* x

Berrybean 05-03-2015 09:53 AM

Can you get yourself to an AA meeting today - the support might be just what you need xx

soberlife123 05-03-2015 10:00 AM

I'm going to go to work....the only useful thing is he did refer a very expensive private outpatient program that actually looks really helpful. Except of course it was said condescendingly "you can go here since you can obviously afford it" . Really humiliated because it took so much courage to build up to going and being honest and he was so awful. Ironically when he found out I was a lawyer at the end he tried to backtrack hugely and apologize.....bah the whle thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

hedgehog 05-03-2015 10:18 AM

That guy is just one more negative thing in your life that you don't need. Don't let that one bad experience deter you from your goal!! Just keep fighting and searching for positive people to support you - like us! ;-)

PurpleKnight 05-03-2015 11:17 AM

Going was still an achievement, don't forget that!! :)

Dee74 05-03-2015 02:25 PM

You need another Dr. That sounds disgraceful to me.
D