SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How long was it before you started to notice differences? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366255-how-long-before-you-started-notice-differences.html)

AGAGONNHOJ 05-03-2015 05:06 AM

How long was it before you started to notice differences?

Just a question, especially for those who quit after several decades of daily drinking - how long was it before you started to see physical/mental changes and what form did those take?

When I was on a roll this year, it was after I passed the one week mark, and especially after the two week mark that I started to see improved mood, having more energy and suchlike - and after 3 weeks, back in Jan, people were starting to tell me I was looking a lot better, especially in the face, and my diet/exercise efforts, ineffective before New Years Eve as I was still drinking, started to pay off at the scales.

doggonecarl 05-03-2015 05:13 AM

I drank daily for 35 years. I felt better just a few weeks after quiting. I looked better a few months after quiting. Mentally...I was still seeing improvements two years later.

ScottFromWI 05-03-2015 05:49 AM

I started feeling physically much better in a few weeks, a few thighs took a bit longer though. Years of abuse takes time to undo. The mental side took much longer.

Soberwolf 05-03-2015 07:22 AM

After a few weeks i remember my sister whos also in recovery saying your face isnt bloated as it was

Things improved with time with other stuff and i sometimes say this phrase (its not meant to be egotistical or sound stuck up)

''Sobriety is a upgrade of self - Things will keep getting better''

There will be hard days but youl have friends here to lean on & walk with

TennantSmith 05-03-2015 08:22 AM

I'm going into my second week. I'm calmer, today is the first day I've felt rested, my eyes are clearer and I'm less bloated.

Mentally, less anxiety and such, but more emotional.

Yankee73 05-03-2015 09:45 AM

The first thing I noticed is that after a week, my skin had a "human" color to it again and my eyes didn't looks so--- haunted??? and I was able to see my cheekbones again.

lakeofglitter 05-03-2015 10:19 AM

Almost 5 months and I am still an on a emotional roller coaster but the desire for sugar has greatly lessened recently. Also, I still get really tired mid-afternoon but that is improving as well.

Within a few weeks my face redness went away, I slept through the night, brain fog went away and I lost a few pounds. It is awesome not to feel your heart pounding out of your chest also lol!

The most immediate effect was no hangovers and I felt calmer and less anxious.

PurpleKnight 05-03-2015 11:18 AM

Things will improve with more time, for me after days, weeks, months and after a year, changes were still happening!!

Keep pushing through!! :)

least 05-03-2015 11:21 AM

I started feeling better after a few weeks but really started to feel good at about 3 months. It takes a while but it's worth the wait. :)

Dee74 05-03-2015 02:23 PM

Like Carl and Scott I started feeling better physically after a few weeks.

D