SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 5 failure (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366228-day-5-failure.html)

EkatGirl 05-02-2015 06:58 PM

Day 5 failure

I've been thinking about quitting for some time now. Alcohol is getting in the way of my relationship, my homework, even my ability to keep up with my house and take care of my kids the way i want to. I've done things I always thought would be pretty sad like hiding vodka from my husband to avoid getting fussed at or taking the day off work because i'm too tired/drunk still from the night before. It's seriously ridiculous.

Anyway i was sober 4 days and was really excited to see the benefits...weight loss from reducing empty calories...stop damaging my liver... More energy etc.

But... I was miserable last night and that look on my face made my husband say... Fine i hate to see you like this... Go to the store for your drink if you need that...
And that was all i needed... Off to the races again...
Ugh
How to stop for good and be happy???

TroyW 05-02-2015 07:12 PM

Welcome to SR EkatGirl. :)

Takes more than one try for lots (most?) of people. Just try to learn from what happened to ensure it doesn't happen again, and get back on the wagon.

ScottFromWI 05-02-2015 07:34 PM

It is going to take more than 4 days to start feeling the benefits of quitting. Does your husband know about your intentions to stay sober? If not perhaps you should have an honest talk about it.

Dee74 05-02-2015 07:41 PM

Hi and welcome ekatgirl :)

I think you (and your husband) need to prepare yourself for a few miserable days.

If you're like me you drank for years - it's going to take a little time for your mind and body to recuperate, but it will, and faster than you might think.

Don't allow someone else to give you permission to drink either...your husband may not understand the stakes, but you do :)
D

EkatGirl 05-02-2015 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 5350454)
It is going to take more than 4 days to start feeling the benefits of quitting. Does your husband know about your intentions to stay sober? If not perhaps you should have an honest talk about it.

Yes he does but he has a soft spot for my sad looks I guess. Or doesn't want to deal with me if I'm miserable. I'm not sure that he will be able to tell me no but he is always the one that I look to for "permission" because he is the one that has suffered the most from my issues... if that makes sense.

EkatGirl 05-02-2015 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5350460)
Hi and welcome ekatgirl :)

I think you (and your husband) need to prepare yourself for a few miserable days.

If you're like me you drank for years - it's going to take a little time for your mind and body to recuperate, but it will, and faster than you might think.

Don't allow someone else to give you permission to drink either...your husband may not understand the stakes, but you do :)
D

Thanks...yes that makes sense. I never considered that I shouldn't wait for permission..or not allow myself to take it. It's like...who can give me permission then??? :wild

FLCamper 05-02-2015 07:47 PM

My daughter was my gate keeper for the first few days. She was hardcore and didn't let me talk her into having a drink. I did only try to convince her for the first two days then I was OK on my own. But, had she given in, I'd have grabbed that opportunity in a second.
Please don't think I'm knocking your husband - that's not my intention. He needs to be tough if he is going to help.

EkatGirl 05-02-2015 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by FLCamper (Post 5350466)
My daughter was my gate keeper for the first few days. She was hardcore and didn't let me talk her into having a drink. I did only try to convince her for the first two days then I was OK on my own. But, had she given in, I'd have grabbed that opportunity in a second.
Please don't think I'm knocking your husband - that's not my intention. He needs to be tough if he is going to help.

What did you specifically ask of your daughter to help you?

PurpleKnight 05-02-2015 08:00 PM

Welcome to the Forum EkatGirl!! :wave:

FLCamper 05-02-2015 08:01 PM

She knew I'd been trying to quit. One night, she took my half empty bottle of wine and informed me that since I wasn't doing so well on my own, she was making sure that I was done!
I did some serious begging and pleading that first night for just one more drink. She did not care and did not give in.
The second night, she watched me like a hawk. I could have snuck some in, I guess. But I was truly relieved and grateful for the help. So, that was all I needed. It's been 2 1/2 months.

EkatGirl 05-02-2015 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by FLCamper (Post 5350485)
She knew I'd been trying to quit. One night, she took my half empty bottle of wine and informed me that since I wasn't doing so well on my own, she was making sure that I was done!
I did some serious begging and pleading that first night for just one more drink. She did not care and did not give in.
The second night, she watched me like a hawk. I could have snuck some in, I guess. But I was truly relieved and grateful for the help. So, that was all I needed. It's been 2 1/2 months.

Yea my husband has tried to take my bottle. But I was onto hard liquor mostly vodka. And I would get furious at him even sometimes threatening divorce if he came between me and my drink. So totally ridiculous when I type it out. :c024:

EkatGirl 05-02-2015 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by FLCamper (Post 5350485)

Also, congratulations on your 2.5 months...that's fantastic I will join you someday!!